Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Starting Problems 2.0 D4D

ghsaunders40

56 minutes ago, Tokyo said:

Hi. Can someone confirm if the photo is the correct valve for my Auris 2007 2.0? Thank youScreenshot_20180202-184406.thumb.jpg.86bb74231253ae02b7ee2883124721ed.jpg

No it is not, the valve in your picture is for the 2.5 & 3.0 #KD engine from Hilux, Hiace etc as posted above you need 04226-26020

On 15/8/2017 at 4:15 PM, chrismorrow said:

Well bought the new SCV, 04226-26020 and the car will not start with it installed, just keeps turning over. Tried to install it without the adaptor and it starts but doesn't rev. Please someone help, going out my head trying to understand why it won't start with the new one installed

Hi. Where did you buy the valve? would be so kind to put purchase link on eBay. I am from Spain and it is difficult to find the valve because in the dealership it is very expensive. Thank you

I think I have the SCV issue, took the car to Fish Brothers in Swindon who only charged me £114 including EU Tax for the flash.... Incidentally, car is now MUCH quieter, and smokes way less. Don't know about economy yet but I wouldn't be surprised if some hasn't been sacrificed. New ECU software is 305B7000 I suspect latest version.

Contacted Diesel Parts Direct who told me after I sent them the pump number that the part is only available from Toyota. Has anyone else found this or is there a source for a Denso part?

Devon, what's your price to the club for the mod SCV for 1AD-FTV pump number 22100-0R010?

Cheers, Ian

On 3/24/2014 at 9:29 PM, wastedagen said:

If it looks like the one on the right it's been modified...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Toyota OC mobile app

post-64213-139569652681_thumb.jpg

Regards
Ian

44 minutes ago, Duggerz said:

Devon, what's your price to the club for the mod SCV for 1AD-FTV pump number 22100-0R010?

Devon is a moderator, and doesn't supply parts to Toyota Owners Club.

You can send Parts-King a personal message, detailing your car and what you want, and he will come back to you with a cost.

You can send Parts-King a personal message, detailing your car and what you want, and he will come back to you with a cost.
I found the modified scv at £102 plus carriage from pf Jones, but according to diesel parts direct this part has recently been made dealer only which means well over £300 so if you need one maybe now is the time.

Regards
Ian

On 12/02/2018 at 3:24 PM, Duggerz said:

I found the modified scv at £102 plus carriage from pf Jones, but according to diesel parts direct this part has recently been made dealer only which means well over £300 so if you need one maybe now is the time.

Regards
Ian

Just to confirm. Is the part you got from PF Jones part no: 294200-0300?

On 12/02/2018 at 11:55 AM, FROSTYBALLS said:

Ah yes, my mistake.

Well I got one. Parts King has it, and so does PF Jones in Manchester. I'll leave it to you to decide which one was 1/4 the price of the other. I'll take the installation to my independent as I don't have a low calue torque wrench. I have a system that will do the fuel valve initialisation, so hopefully all will be back to normal after this is all done.

It's DCRS300830, they needed the pump part number to be able to give me the correct valve. DPD also asked for the pump number but couldn't supply the part. It wasn't the part number I expected but I confirmed that it was the modified valve (they call it the long valve) and looking at it I can see that it is. I just discovered that this part is not a Denso part, but I spoke with a Diesel tech at PF Jones who told me he's fitted plenty of them and they work well. The same part number DCRS300830 is on sale on eBay for over £200. I suggest giving them the pump number and seeing what they come back with.

I fitted the new SCV yesterday, it came with the fitting dowels and new screws, didn't even need to reinitialise the pump. This morning starting was very quick with the car covered in ice, even with what I think is now a weak Battery. It's a yes from me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/02/2013 at 9:33 PM, Cuba Libre said:

Hi,

I had the same problem. Poor start with cold day, engine sometimes only puff-puff and stall (blue-white smoke). In last three years I changed glow plugs, battery, overhaul fuel pump, bought new injectors, bought fuel warmer etc. But everything without effect. Now I found where is problem. If you have a small SCV valve on fuel pump (called Compact SCV) try this home made diagnostic: warm up SCV valve before starting in cold day using hot water or hot airgun (about 80°C). When engine start for first time, piston in SCV valve is seized (rather chill diminishes tolerance and piston seized). Denso prepare new version of SCV valve, please wait few days, I prepare complete guide with pictures, order numbers and Denso service manual.

P.S. I´m sorry for my english, because I´m from Czech Republic :-)

Edit: 6.2.2013 - Here is part number: new one - 0422626020 (replace old 042260L030)

After replace SCV, you must make Supply Pump Initialization Procedure - see enclosed Denso Repair Manual, Repair Section/2.Diagnostic Overview/2-113 to 2-115.

I make this process with Toyota IT II (Intelligent Tester), I think that this way is better than connecting terminals TC and CG..

After replacing SCV during calibration were two random errors. Both of these errors concerned Air Mass sensor and Intake Air Temperature. I erased all this errors three times during calibration. Now is everything OK.

Torque for SCV bolts is 6,9Nm first, 10,8Nm second.

post-71933-0-02703800-1360097192_thumb.j

post-71933-0-24245600-1360098588_thumb.j

post-71933-0-39682200-1360098606_thumb.j

post-71933-0-26880700-1360098621_thumb.j

post-71933-0-36355800-1360098652_thumb.j

DENSO CR SERVICE MANUAL.pdf

Hello,

I can't open the denso file. Is there something special to do after replacing the scv? Because I changed it and nothing better for cold start.

Hello,
I can't open the denso file. Is there something special to do after replacing the scv? Because I changed it and nothing better for cold start.
Did you get the ECU updated too? You need both to get the higher pressure needed for better starting.

39 minutes ago, Duggerz said:
41 minutes ago, Yunus BOZKURT said:
Hello,

Did you get the ECU updated too? You need both to get the higher pressure needed for better starting.

No I didn't get the ECU update because I didn't knew it needed one. I'm going to my local Toyota dealer for the update. Thank you very much. I will come back on the forum for the result.

I am reviving this thread (again) because I felt there is too much bias towards the SCV. The SCV upgrade with EUC update is clearly a hack to get the car working and is not getting to the crux of the actual issue because if it was the SCV then a software update (and device upgrade) would not be required and all you need is a new standard SCV. I have created an order from what I understand from various sources but a Toyota garage will be your best bet.

Diagnosis order:

1. Obvious stuff: No engine light or obvious faults like split intake hose, weak Battery etc and is serviced (filters etc..)

2. Glow plugs: If your car has done about 100,000 then replace all 4 glow plugs (about 200 pounds fitted). Glow plugs are designed to run 100k perhaps depending on how many trips you take rather than distance. When you get glow plugs replaced Toyota also check injectors for you but you may need to ask. Glow plugs are the most common cause of diesel cold start problems for all makes. [I had two glow plugs faulty, but underlining Issue still there! I am amazed]

2.2 Fuels (NEW ENTRY) Try changing to premium fuels with double the additive for a year e.g. V-Power, BP Ultimate (not Premium!) Esso Synergy, Texaco Supreme...  Read http://www.cenex.com/about/cenex-information/cenexperts-blog-page/general-interest/standard-vs-premium-diesel [I am currently doing this until the next winter]

3. Injectors: Toyota injectors (there are 4) and a diagnosis by Toyota will check these and if faulty [I could have 1 injector faulty in diagnosis but no real-world issues when engine is running. This is a costly fix and spring is here now so have stopped this process until next winter - but I will be using premium fuels this year and see if this is the issue]

4. Glow plug relay: don't know much about this, presume Toyota diagnosis will pick this up when changing glow plugs.

5. SCV test: Heat up the SCV valve to see if it starts better (did not work skip test). If heating does work then consider replacing  SCV with the upgrade but it should work without the software update in theory because you diagnosed an SCV to be the issue. (...but I suspect many miss-diagnose hence the software update(hack) magically does work to cover up the real issue(s) and possibly saving some money on the next steps).

6. Starter motor: If step 4 (SCV test) fails then perhaps consider starter motor (v.expensive close to 400 hundred pounds)*. I am not expert on this and this could be a red herring. A faulty start motor will not work at all meaning the engine will not tick over at all... however one military mechanic claims the oil and gunk can go sticky causing the engine not to start in the cold but more evidence required (please post if you know about starter motors and I will update my post). Perhaps skip and goto step 7...

7. SCV (hack): If the above fails to start the car only then do change the SCV and ECU update (minimum software version 302v0000 ) that increased pressure (or whatever) could overcome any technical issues (about 300 pounds). Technical service bulletin EG-0132T-1110-EN

I hope the above is a definitive summary but very open to edits.

Edited by Johan Damitha De Silva
Updated from visiting Toyota

• 2 weeks later...

So I come back after my ECU update after changing my SCV valve. And for me it doesn't change anything.

I'm going to list the operations that I made to solve my cold start problem:

1. I changed my fuel filter with an original Toyota fuel filter. 

2 I changed my glow plugs with 4 new denso glow plugs 

3 I changed my SCV valve with a new original Toyota SCV valve.

4. I went to Toyota to update the ECU.

And all theses operations didn't change anything to my cold start problem.

My car is a 2013 Toyota verso. 2.0 d4d 124. And I have 119000 km 75000 miles. I don't have any lights on or any problems with my car.

If someone have an idea, I will be happy...

Here I post a video of my cold start problem. You can see that the engine isn't running smoothly for 1 or 2 seconds and after it's ok.

20180208_083503.mp4

Just seen the video. You have a separate issue to this thread (a clunky sound on cold days but it does start and so not a starting issue as such). Yunus I read here some of your symptoms may point to the section Car fuel system problems on https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/winter-driving/getting-started-in-the-cold/

6 minutes ago, Yunus BOZKURT said:

Here I post a video of my cold start problem. You can see that the engine isn't running smoothly for 1 or 2 seconds and after it's ok.

20180208_083503.mp4

Wow, you've had a tough time with this. A few questions if I may, did you test the SCV with hot water one morning to see if that helped the cold starting? Did you check the resistance of the existing glow plugs before changing them?

There is a possibility that the glow plugs were fine and the timer circuit is not working properly, how long does the light come on during starting on a cold morning? When it eventually starts do you get a cloud of smoke, i.e. unburnt diesel?

Regards

Ian

3 minutes ago, Duggerz said:

Wow, you've had a tough time with this. A few questions if I may, did you test the SCV with hot water one morning to see if that helped the cold starting? Did you check the resistance of the existing glow plugs before changing them?

There is a possibility that the glow plugs were fine and the timer circuit is not working properly, how long does the light come on during starting on a cold morning? When it eventually starts do you get a cloud of smoke, i.e. unburnt diesel?

Regards

Ian

Yes i made the experience with a hair dryer on the scv. And that wasn't better.

The light ("glow plug" light) stays on for 2 seconds, nothing unusual. 

There is no smoke and no smell after the engine get started.

When I plug a code reader : I have only one DTC : P1604 start up malfunction

Thank you for your help 

Add Yohan said, you have a different issue. The SCV cold start problem prevents the car from starting without a great deal of difficulty.

7 minutes ago, Duggerz said:

Add Yohan said, you have a different issue. The SCV cold start problem prevents the car from starting without a great deal of difficulty.

I did a bit of digging so have more questions, are you confident the DPF and EGR are clear? Does your code reader tell you rail pressure and injector leak values? If so, are these in spec? Do you know that the pump was reinitialised when the SCV was replaced? Regards Ian

2 hours ago, Johan Damitha De Silva said:

Just seen the video. You have a separate issue to this thread (a clunky sound on cold days but it does start and so not a starting issue as such). Yunus I read here some of your symptoms may point to the section Car fuel system problems on https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/winter-driving/getting-started-in-the-cold/

Thank you for your help.

31 minutes ago, Duggerz said:

J'ai creusé un peu, alors posez d'autres questions, êtes-vous sûr que le DPF et l'EGR sont clairs? Votre lecteur de code vous indique-t-il la pression du rail et les valeurs de fuite de l'injecteur? Si oui, sont-ils en spec? Savez-vous que la pompe a été réinitialisée lorsque le SCV a été remplacé? Cordialement Ian

Thank you for your help. About the DPF and EGR the problem must be here even when it's warm or hot (weather) and I would have some problem when I accelerate. 

And when Toyota made the ECU update, they "reset" the injection pump.

1 hour ago, Yunus BOZKURT said:

Yes i made the experience with a hair dryer on the scv. And that wasn't better.

The light ("glow plug" light) stays on for 2 seconds, nothing unusual.

Try hot water, not hair dryer.

I mentioned few times before-  light time mo matter, always is 1-2 sec.  Even after engine starts, glow plugs carry on heating 1-3 min more depends of outside temperature. I checked this by LED connected to glow plugs power supply. You can check real glow time, same way like me by LED connected proper polarity (+1-2Kohm serial resistor) or 12V small lamp.