Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla 1.4Vvti Front Brakes Balance Mot Problem

cog_32

Hi,

I've just had the car MOTd and had an advisory regarding the front pads just passing the Balance test. They said the pads were quite low as well. I had a look at the pads and on side looks more worn than the other. Also, when driving it feels as if the car doesn't accelerate - almost like something is holding the car back. The mpg is also quite bad, I get about 27 mpg with town driving.

Do you think all of the above is linked ? Is it just a matter of cleaning out the pistons/calipers and putting in new pads?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

i had the same on the t sport about 2 years ago and it was the sliding pins and boots that hold front part of caliper on very cheap from toyota and you get grease boots and the pins for both sides in the kit think it was cheaper than 15 quid that should do it but take off the caliper and inspect it first you will see if it is seazed

i had the same on the t sport about 2 years ago and it was the sliding pins and boots that hold front part of caliper on very cheap from toyota and you get grease boots and the pins for both sides in the kit think it was cheaper than 15 quid that should do it but take off the caliper and inspect it first you will see if it is seazed

... Thanks for that, did you have similar symptoms ?

I had to replace the slider pins on a rear caliper last month; the Toyota franchise I bought the kit from charged about £45 for it! 2 pins and boots, with the rubber washer on one of them, replacement bolts and a sachet of brake grease. I agree that this is probably the OP's problem too. Also check that the piston that pushes the pads against the disc hasn't seized or is sticking.

... car going in to have the brakes looked at tomorrow. Will let you guys know the outcome

???? Was it the sliders then?

Almost certainly the slider pins on one side stuck, and quite possibly the caliper piston is semi seized. You should have it looked at ASAP as if the pads are low, you run the risk of the pads on one side wearing out considerably quicker and even possibly running metal to metal

Kingo :thumbsup:

... car going in to have the brakes looked at tomorrow. Will let you guys know the outcome

???? Was it the sliders then?

had the pads changed, mechanic said everything was ok, nothing jammed etc. Only thing he said was that old pads were jammed into the holder. I'm assuming they would be after quite a few miles. Will need to keep an eye on the economy to see if it's improved.

had the pads changed, mechanic said everything was ok, nothing jammed etc. Only thing he said was that old pads were jammed into the holder. I'm assuming they would be after quite a few miles. Will need to keep an eye on the economy to see if it's improved.

Should be easy enough to check if the brakes are "binding". Find somewhere flat, move off in 1st gear just at crawling pace, then put the clutch to the floor. The car should roll reasonably freely until nature does its stuff and slows it down. You should be able to tell if the brakes are dragging a bit, as it will not roll freely and will come to a stop fairly quickly.