Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Verso Mot Emission Failure

Seggy

Hello I am new to the forum but hope somebody out there can help. I have a 2006 Toyota Corolla Verso D4D diesel which has done 60,000 miles and has been main dealer serviced right up to the current date. I took the car for an MOT and it failed on emissions the engine blowing out black smoke when revved for the analyser. I had used injector cleaner but this hasn't sorted the problem. I also have a strange droning noise at about 38mph which at first I thought was a wheel bearing . I also have what sound like an air leakage at start up. I suspect that the egr valve or something is clogged up , or some other breathing problem. Can anyone tell me if this model has a DPF or CAT systen that could be clogged, I am at a loss to diagnose this problem. The car doesn't actually run badly at present bbut is no good unless i can get the mot. Many thanks in anticipation.

It hasn`t a DPF but the EGR could probably do with cleaning if its a `town` car and using S/market diesel.

Did you give it a good run out using plenty revs before the test ?

Run a few tanks of Shell V-Power and a can of BG244 through.

Dear DervDave many thanks for your response, yes it usually gets supermarket Diesel but a week ago I used the V Power and a bottle of Wynns injector cleaner and drove the car harder for a week up to the re - test , but again at the harder rev test it bellowed smoke,... what is BG244 i havent come across this product, The car does a 200 mile motorway run every month but the rest is town driving. The more I read the more I suspect clogged EGR or manifold. Does the car have any exhaust system device for cleansing. Thanks again

Hello Dave and thanks again for your comments, took the car this morning back to the MOT station they are looking at what might be causing the problem and i'm just waiting for a call. Will post the outcome. Had many diesels in the past Montego, Peugot, Alfa but never had this problem before and i have not always used a cleaner in the past. Pity there isn't some sort of warning light for this problem as there seems to be a light for everything else. The MOT station advised some Wynns injector cleaner and to run it hard for a week but this didnt hence the strip down today. I will post the findings later. On an up note the Verso is the best car I have had to date despite this problem. Cheers

I was also going to suggest trying Forte DPF/EGR cleaner

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Forte-Advanced-Diesel-Turbo-EGR-Valve-Cleaner-Treatment-400ml-/160905265560?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2576b38198

But interested in the diagnosis from the garage

My advice is always use decent diesel if its your own vehicle and intending on keeping it for a while., my favourite is Shell V-Power :thumbsup:

Hello Dave, Thanks again for the reply, the garage just phoned to say they stripped down the EGR and although the valve was working the ports were all carbon clogged, they have cleaned these out and the car has now passed the mot emissions test.

From now on its V Power and a tin of either the BG244 or the Forte product. Good garage only charged a couple of hours labour and a tin of carb cleaner so anybody out there in the Hull and surrounding area need a recommend then i have one. The garage also said that Vauxhalls are prone to a similar problem. Again thanks for your response. Geoff

Great, very pleased you`ve got it sorted Geoff :clap: