Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Excessive Brake Pedal Travel

Brendy

Braking power was not as I would have expected, replaced a rear caliber which appeared to have a sticky piston, checked all calibers working freely, bled system in recommended sequence with a 2 man team, no traces of air left. Should also say I changed the fluid with fresh fluid. Pedal is firm with no travel after a couple of pumps when the engine is off so i don't think its a leaking master cylinder but travels very far down when engine is started, can almost be pushed to the floor. Braking power is not actually too bad but still concerned with pedal travel.

Could it be a vacuum or abs problem?

I think this is how it should be. Does the car stop effectively/sharply with no travel in normal use?

Under normal braking you don't continue to increase pedal presure after the car has slowed or stopped...................

Methinks covered ad nauseum before, Brendy, and answered by Anchorman.......you do not have a problem....do a wee search of previous postications on the subject.

Big Kev :driving:

This question comes up every few months in this forum, its absolutely normal for the pedal to drop when the engine is on.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=139085&hl=%2Bbrake+%2Bpedal

The most important test is with the engine off does the pedal go rock hard after a few pumps and stay put.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yes the pedal is rock hard after a few pumps with the engine off. With the engine running I understand it is normal for the pedal to drop when pressure is continuously applied but travel seems excessive without any increase in pedal pressure. The Haynes manual gives a pedal reserve distance of 118mm I'm getting about 30mm ie if the pedal travelled another 30mm it would be hitting the floor. Is 30mm normal? This is way more travel than it used to have

Trust me, you can get the pedal to the floor without too much effort while the engine is running. You can do it on my 62 plate ex works model and I don't expect it to be faulty!

Yep, mine's always been just like this too.

To be honest, the "fading" pedal does at first appear to suggest a faulty master cylinder (or fluid leak). On any other car, it would have sounded alarm bells, but not here, it seems.

RAV always stops quickly when needed. (But not as good as Citroen, which does it on Half-a-Sixpence!)

Keep smiling,

Chris