Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Interior Lights Mod (Model With Sunroof)

P34RC3

Hi all

Just spent a few hours with my mate getting the front map lights to turn on with the main interior light when the door is opened. It was abit of a pain trying to figure out the wires but we got there in the end. If anyone with a sunroof is intrested in doing this. And owns a soldering iron just let me know and i can write a little guide up. I never took any photos as i didnt think about doing it at the time. Next step on interior lighting will be lights in the drivers and passengers footwell. I will have these to also come on when the door is opened and when the map lights are turned on.

was it difficult? I've always wondered why these lights didn't come on, would be nice if they did!

was it difficult? I've always wondered why these lights didn't come on, would be nice if they did!

Have you done wiring before? all u require is a soldering iron. Wire (i used speaker wire), solder, cutting tool and wire strippers. And a 2nd person to help with the trickyish bits.

I haven't no, but I do have a friend who does know all this stuff. Does it involve removing the headlining or anything?

I've heard that it is not best to solder anything when it comes to cars. While driving the vibrations may cause the soldered spots to weaken and disconnect. Don't know if this is true, might not be the case is you secure the spot properly with electrical tape etc, but just came to my mind. So be careful with that guys :)

I'd have to disagree with that. Soldering is the best form of connecting wires. All wires on the car that connect to a chip board of some kind are all solderd. I just solder it and wrap it in tape. All you do is pull down the front light units and back light unit then remove the sunroof seal inside and you can pull down on the lining. Just don't go over the top on pulling it down or you could damage it.

With a A* in GCSE in electronics i can assure you a well soldered connection will definetly not break apart from any kind of vibrations and if you want extra assurance use heat shrinks on all the connections.

Ok cheers guys, will not be afraid of soldering anymore... :)

• 1 month later...

any chance of having a look at this guide? been wanting to do this to my auris ever since i got it.

is it a big job?

i have also been looking in to changing all of the lights in the dash from orange to white, any ideas on this?

Ill write up a guide for u. Wish I took pics now it would have been easier to explain. The only thing I found is that when I press my map light the other map light and the main light come on. I found this to be better but not sure If its what u would like. As for changing the dash bulbs I'm not sure. I'd like mine done tho. If its anything like my Astra was its not just change bulbs to LEDs. Little LEDs need to be shouldered into the chip/mother board. Maybe pretty easy to do if u can dismantle the dash alright lol. How are your skills on soldering?

i have also been looking in to changing all of the lights in the dash from orange to white, any ideas on this?

Sure mate, please look here!

soldering is not a problem.

a guide would be great thanks.

i have got the trim removal tools to remove the dash, had to do it to fit ipod connector.

i will have a look in to it and post if i find anything.