Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is It Right

kawakev

Hi folks, filled car to the top which was£68. This gave me 255 miles before the fuel light came on.not having a trip computer, it equates to 22mpg. Is that right for a vvti. All miles done doing short commutes.

Not come across this methold of checking MPG before and can't quite grasp how it works.

My usual way is to fill up until it clicks off,note the milage,then run that off driving as I normally do.

When I have to fill up I use the same pump and do the same as before to see how much fuel has been used and milage driven

I am sure this will give you a more accurate figure

Del

I converted my litres at fill up to gallons then divided my mileage covered by said gallons. i know its rough but cant think of another way.

fill 'er up, note mileage (1)

drive, until light flicks on

fill 'er up, note mileage (2) and fuel put into tank (note litres and convert to gallons)

take mileage 1 from 2 = distance travelled

divide mileage by fuel added = mpg

How did you calculate how much fuel you used because the low fuel light comes on in my car when there is about 2 galls left in it and that can only be a very rough guess?

Del

Ya need to do some brimmy tests, Kev.....22mpg is either you work as a sponge diver in Aberdeen, and forget to take them big brass boots aff.......or your method of calculation is somewhat erroneous.

Big Kev

Getting 255 miles from a full tank until the warning light appears is giving you a reasonable (in that pretty usual) economy from the 2.0 VVT-i engine I would say, assuming you would get the usual 80-100 mile range after the warning light on the RAV4.2

I found the warning light so pessimistic, I ignored it and used the Scanguage I had fitted to tell me the real range left :)

As has been said, doing the brim to brim is the best way to find out the actual economy

Are you saying that when just filled the range indicated on the computer says 255 ?

Each time my car was filled it displayed different ranges.. It always did/does more than the indicated range providing heavy foot driving did not take place...

22 MPG is ridiculous...

Are you saying that when just filled the range indicated on the computer says 255 ?

Each time my car was filled it displayed different ranges.. It always did/does more than the indicated range providing heavy foot driving did not take place...

22 MPG is ridiculous...

I'd say it's not unrealistic given my experience with our 4.2 auto and as the poster says, "all miles done doing short commutes".

Our usual "jogging about town" consumption is similar and it can get up to 26-26 on a longer run.

Something I noticed when I was running my RAV4.2 (5 year ownership) is that the economy around town didn't really vary much from motorway runs if the speed exceeded 60mph. The aerodynamics of the 4.2 must be akin to a brick as the only way I could exceed 30 mpg was to stick to around 55mph.

I used to drive to the office sometimes from Devon to Hants/Surrey border - which was 120 miles one way - and it was not unusual ( if i were in a bit of a rush) to fill up in Honiton, and have to fill up again before getting back home to be sure of actually making it back (so fuel concerns after just 240 miles!)

This was the only reason I sold the 4.2 as the economy hurt to much as I started to have to do much longer trips :(

The way I gauge normal fuel consumption on my VVTi XT4 manual has always been as follows - fill it to the brim.

For local driving I would expect the fuel gauge to get to the 3/4 mark around 75 miles,

On a long journey travelling steady at 70mph it would do about 90miles.

Ditto to half full 150 miles town driving or approx 180 miles at 70 mph.

They can be thirsty but will be more so if it needs an air filter. A set of plugs can help if they haven't been done for a while. Don't forget all our motors are thirsty in very cold weather.

They can be thirsty but will be more so if it needs an air filter. A set of plugs can help if they haven't been done for a while. Don't forget all our motors are thirsty in very cold weather.

Agree with Don, temperature makes a huge difference. Our 2005 VVTi returns a healthy 30mpg+ out in Spain on long trips at around 65 mph, but when we start driving in the mountains where we live, that drops to high 20's. Also it's auto, but I do drive with a light loud pedal when I can.

after nearly 10 years and 136k , my vvti still doing roughly the same as when i bought it,

summer: town - high twenties, a14/m6 - 32/34

winter: town - mid to high twenties, a14/m6 - 30-31

So Ian i seem to be getting around the same as you, amazing with the replies it can differ so much.

Agree with Don, temperature makes a huge difference. Our 2005 VVTi returns a healthy 30mpg+ out in Spain on long trips at around 65 mph, but when we start driving in the mountains where we live, that drops to high 20's. Also it's auto, but I do drive with a light loud pedal when I can.

Now that Avatar is just rubbing it in.

Moderator..............................................

Now that Avatar is just rubbing it in.

Moderator..............................................

Thats Edale in the background. The southern end of the Pennine Way.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links