Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Service Time: Spark Plugs: What Should I Go For

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Hi Guys,

My Rollas due her Service in a fortnight...now i normally buy her NGK

NGK

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-NGK-Spark-Plugs-Toyota-Corolla-1-6-MPV-ZER-ZZE-2004-2007-MPV-/290762484738?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Cars+Year%3A2006%7CCar+Make%3AToyota%7CModel%3ACorolla%7CCars+Type%3A1.6&hash=item43b2cb6c02

However i'm thinking of going for something different this year: :fishyface:

Bosch

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290815750305?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Notice how the Bosch look a lot better and have 4 four thin ground electrodes so i'm assuming these would be better in terms of everything including maybe mpg???

Please let meknow your thoughts &&& if anyones tried them on this forum. Thanks :flowers:

Hi Sam,

now i normally buy her NGK

How often are you changing the plugs then ?

According to the Toyota and Haynes service schedule the plugs only need changing every 4 years or 40,000 miles .

What you are spending on plugs will probably negate any saving in fuel.

As far as I can tell the NKG plugs you list above are the wrong type - they are for the MVP non vvt engine.

Expect the 4 electrode Bosch would offer a margin better chance of sparking.

Expect the spark gap is factory set, think it would be unlikely you could check or set them with standard feeler gauges

Mine had new NGKs fitted just before I bought it, still doing 40-42mpg; what are you getting ?

Hi Sam,

now i normally buy her NGK

How often are you changing the plugs then ?

According to the Toyota and Haynes service schedule the plugs only need changing every 4 years or 40,000 miles .

What you are spending on plugs will probably negate any saving in fuel.

As far as I can tell the NKG plugs you list above are the wrong type - they are for the MVP non vvt engine.

Expect the 4 electrode Bosch would offer a margin better chance of sparking.

Expect the spark gap is factory set, think it would be unlikely you could check or set them with standard feeler gauges

Mine had new NGKs fitted just before I bought it, still doing 40-42mpg; what are you getting ?

Hi Oldcodger

Sorry, listed the wrong NGK's, but i normally change my sparks every 2 years, no harm in that is there? And your right those Bosch 4 sparks come with a factory set gap, and i'm getting around 38mpg on a mix, i just like the look of those Bosch but as i've never tried them before...hence the thread!

So hows the weather where you are? I must say, these Corollas aren't too bad in the snow, but i'll be taking it extremely careful as normal, keep warm and takecare matey. :fox:

Hi Sam,

Just thought you might be changing them every oil change or one a year; it dosesn' really matter if you do, just a waste of money if you are not getting a spark problem.

Might a well try those Bosch, I always store the old plugs incase the new ones give any problems as once happened with those expensive irridum plugs on the old avensis.

Bit staggered by your 38mpg with your short journeys or has that changed, what was it you got one the old avensis, about 18 mpg !

Only an inch or so of snow today, almost gone now, though the forecast says lots of long frosty nights this week; so need to be even more careful

the Bosch look a lot better and have 4 four thin ground electrodes so i'm assuming these would be better in terms of everything including maybe mpg???

Please let meknow your thoughts &&& if anyones tried them on this forum. Thanks :flowers:

A few months ago I installed in my corolla 1.4 vvt-i Bosch FR78X - four electrodes spark plugs. I didn't notice anything except spending more maney for these spark plugs. There was no more power and no better fuel economy. I think is just a marketing. Now 1 electrode spark plugs are better because spark has got a better contact with air/fuel mixture.

Just thought you might be changing them every oil change or one a year; it dosesn' really matter if you do, just a waste of money if you are not getting a spark problem.

I completely agree with this opinion.

best regards

Artur

the Bosch look a lot better and have 4 four thin ground electrodes so i'm assuming these would be better in terms of everything including maybe mpg???

A few months ago I installed in my corolla 1.4 vvt-i Bosch FR78X - four electrodes spark plugs. I didn't notice anything except spending more maney for these spark plugs. There was no more power and no better fuel economy. I think is just a marketing. Now 1 electrode spark plugs are better because spark has got a better contact with air/fuel mixture.

I completely agree with this opinion.

best regards

Artur

I agree too...was just a thought which i've never considered before...i prefer to stick to whats in the book...so i'll forget the 4 spark and keep with the single! Although it may be a waste of £££ i do find that my engine runs/sounds a lot lot better with a fresh set of sparks in her...so i don't mind the waste really...each to their own hey...takecare all

hello,

if You feel the difference after changing the spark plugs You may change them but to tell You the truth I didn't see much difference after changing into new, maybe because I do not drive more than 40000 km in one set of plugs.

best regards

Artur

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links