Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New T Sport Owner

mc-10jim

Hi everyone.

Recently joined the forum as I'm now the proud owner of a pfl 2003, 5 Door, t sport. Always wanted one :)

Unfortunately I'm not allowed to drive it as I'm recovering from a small stroke (29 years old, that sucks!) but it doesn't stop me from wanting to mod the car ( just don't tell the wife ;) so i can enjoy it when the doctors clear me.

Anyway been looking around on the forum at various subjects

. My question to you all is:

What would be the best mods to do in order to maximise the standard car? (Prices for the mods would also be appreciated.

Cheers all

Jimbo

Hi, first of all I hope you have a quick & full recovery. It took my nephew about 18 months to get his licence back after a stroke, so let's hope it's no longer than that.

It really depends what you want from your car, but I'd imagine you might want better handling, a bit more power & maybe some cosmetic mods ?

Personally I'd go for some nice lightweight alloys, a headlamp upgrade, decent lowering springs (H&R or Eibach), induction kit or performance filter and a cat-back exhaust. Maybe a change of brake pads & flush the fluid through with fresh DOT 4 ?

Just some food for thought ...... :)

Thanks for quick response uncle buck. Yeah better handling by lowering would probably be first on my list. Looking at the car, it does appear to stand rather tall.

Forgive me for asking, but what would i need to buy? A coilovers set or just springs to drop the car slightly? I'm new to all of this so the advice I get is priceless to me.

And I see that all the face lift cars have a strut bar across engine bay. Would that be of benefit,mid I got one of those?

Cheers :)

Not all strut braces work to the extent that you'd notice & different cars have varying results. I've had two on previous cars combined with lowered suspension, which did show a marked improvement in handling & looks. If you just pootle back & forward to work, then modifying for performance or handling is pretty pointless. But there are plenty who just like the look of a modified car.

However, if you're like me (& many others) who want a bit more enjoyment from their machine, then a good quality set of lowering springs combined with an alloy strut brace can really liven up the handling. Less body roll & a nicer stance are just 2 benefits you can achieve here. I've used Eibach springs on 2 cars with good results, but also Apex which were okay but a tad too stiff. I would definitely stay clear of Pi which rust badly & Gmax which are incredibly harsh riding.

The reason I've recommended an alloy brace is simple - steel ones can be very heavy and you really don't want to add weight to your car. My last one was made by Alutec & weighed 1.5 kgs, a steel version was typically 4-5 kgs ! These braces are designed to keep the suspension turrets in line whilst cornering hard & so retain the car's designed geometry ie. it helps the suspension work as intended !

Hi jimbo

You wont be disappointed with the motor (get well soon) youv'e got a car to drive :D

Most people tend to have gone for the 30mm springs, which takes it 15mm below the facelift T sport. They would work quite nicely with some 17" alloys, or as suggested some lightweight 16"s which i'd prefer myself as the standard alloys are fairly heavy.

If you want an idea of parts, fensport are pretty good - if even to see what to buy.

You could probably find yourself a TTE strutbrace for the front on eBay, although i think you need to bend the aircon pipe slightly to get it in but its no big deal. Your not going to get much extra performance from a cone induction filter but it will sound great, although maybe a bit tedious if you do long miles.

You can also get a toyota 6 cd changer which slots nicely into the cubby hole by your gear box, have one in mine. They are on eBay for about £100 but you can probably find them cheaper. Saves putting it in the boot!

Wish you all the best with your recovery :)

Most people tend to have gone for the 30mm springs, which takes it 15mm below the facelift T sport. They would work quite nicely with some 17" alloys, or as suggested some lightweight 16"s which i'd prefer myself as the standard alloys are fairly heavy.

If you want an idea of parts, fensport are pretty good - if even to see what to buy.

You could probably find yourself a TTE strutbrace for the front on ebay, although i think you need to bend the aircon pipe slightly to get it in but its no big deal. Your not going to get much extra performance from a cone induction filter but it will sound great, although maybe a bit tedious if you do long miles.

You can also get a toyota 6 cd changer which slots nicely into the cubby hole by your gear box, have one in mine. They are on ebay for about £100 but you can probably find them cheaper. Saves putting it in the boot!

Wish you all the best with your recovery :)

SORRY for steeping in on this thread...but Foxx...do you have a part number displayed on the fron tof your cd changer? If so can you kindly let me know what it is...thanks...also where would one get the wiring harness for it?

Sammy :flowers:

Hey Sammy, the model is a TM0561, type 74835 and hoo my god its freezing outside!

Sorry not sure about the harness though, it came with it when i bought it :ermm: , but it works with the stereo controls on the wheel and the standard audio unit so the harness is probably available from toyota if you can't get one with it.

Same as this one funny enough.. link so i guess part no PN 08601-00907

Hey Sammy, the model is a TM0561, type 74835 and hoo my god its freezing outside!

Sorry not sure about the harness though, it came with it when i bought it :ermm: , but it works with the stereo controls on the wheel and the standard audio unit so the harness is probably available from toyota if you can't get one with it.

Same as this one funny enough.. link so i guess part no PN 08601-00907

Thanks foxxy...i'll look out for one...saying that is your oem/stock radio the same as mine? I'll check my stereo model later...like you said hoo its cold out there!

Shame about the harness, thats always a pain to find, bet your bottom $$$ Toyota won't sell it as a seperate!

cheerio