Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How To Change Head And Side Light Bulbs 2011 Rav4

Ezmuzic

Hi All,

I have purchased some Osram Nightbreaker Plus H11's and some Cree LED sidelight bulbs for my 2011 Rav4.

Today I opened the bonnet, looked at the back of the lights, got dirt on my hands, closed the bonnet and went back in the warm.

My question is does anyone have a guide to changing the bulbs? it would save me standing in the cold getting really dirty and probably disconnecting the wrong parts then I would get cross and shout at the wife then we would both have a bad evening, so really you would be helping my wife!!

Thanks in advance

Mark.

Well at least you had a go Mark.

Your model RAV is the easiest of all to change the bulbs on but if you are not used to doing them it might prove a bit fiddly. If you sit tight for a bit I will take some photos that might help.

Unless one of the other guys gets chance first!

Regards

OK, I put hat, coat gloves on, but remind me next time to put my trousers on :) hopefully this should have what you need, feel free to correct the errors in my description or add more.

in the second picture it shows two wires Brown and Black unclip these from the post/holder and then you can turn the large black plastic cover a 1/4 turn and access the dipped beam bulb as shown in picture 3 and 4, you can now access the bulb and by rotating the bulb remove it from the reflector and change the bulb, replacement is just a reverse of what you have just done, being careful to position the bulb correctly otherwise you will have a bouncy bulb.

The sidelight bulbs are behind the white connector shown in picture 5 (Red and White wires) this is a straight forward twist and remove and the sidelight bulb is a straight forward push fit.

Gus

post-72786-0-22457300-1358334149_thumb.j

post-72786-0-66632900-1358336512_thumb.j

post-72786-0-02028500-1358336529_thumb.j

post-72786-0-44107600-1358336544_thumb.j

post-72786-0-30259300-1358336557_thumb.j

I did mine last week on my 56 xt3 - looks very similar to your facelift. I removed the plastic cover as it made it easier to access the low beam bulbs. Could argue it's a PITA job to do - but believe me, after fitting new side light bulbs to a 350z which involves turning each front wheel outwards and removing the arch lining = makes the Rav's work seem like a piece of p....

I have to say it is harder to take these photographs than it is to actually do the job!

If your hands are to big it is possible on the offside to remove a bolt and move the screenwash filler tube out of the way.

Gus

Grasshopper

Taking the panel of these later facelift models doesn't gain anything. I agree it's a neccessity on yours.

I always thought the sidelights were pretty non existent in their standard form so took Ezmusic's lead and ordered Cree high intensity LED sidelights. They arrived today so I'll put them in and report on brightnessosity.

I always thought the sidelights were pretty non existent in their standard form so took Ezmusic's lead and ordered Cree high intensity LED sidelights. They arrived today so I'll put them in and report on brightnessosity.

That's no a word..........

Statement of the year since time began.

2 stars. Please alert me to anything better as the year goes on. All comers welcome.

Stuck the sidelights in today and it was 10 minutes from bonnet up to bonnet down. I needed to take off the plastic cover on the slam panel but all in all a doddle.

In terms of brightositynessness they're a whole lot better, in the light they're just two points of light but in the dark they really light up the whole sidelight with still a distinct point of light in that cold whitel light. Tenner well spent.

Many thanks for the Pics Gus, as soon as the snow stops I will be out there fitting both sets of bulbs (In my trousers)!!

Why would one fit bulbs in one's trousers.....? Bit perverse there....

Kev I'm pretty sure Sidelights is a word . . . . but I will go and check to be on the safe side ;)

Kev I'm pretty sure Sidelights is a word . . . . but I will go and check to be on the safe side ;)

....yet another name in The Book........

• 2 weeks later...

I have fitted the bulbs and the Cree sidelights are great (well one is the other doesn't work! I have emailed the company to say one is faulty) anyway they are a great white light and very bright indeed. As for the headlights............well I can not see any difference at all they are very yellow and unless the difference is minute I can't see that they are any brighter at all, they are the nightbreaker plus bulbs that are raved about!

My previous car (VW R32) had HID's they were bright and white, how can I get this on the rav?

I have fitted the bulbs and the Cree sidelights are great (well one is the other doesn't work! I have emailed the company to say one is faulty) anyway they are a great white light and very bright indeed. As for the headlights............well I can not see any difference at all they are very yellow and unless the difference is minute I can't see that they are any brighter at all, they are the nightbreaker plus bulbs that are raved about!

My previous car (VW R32) had HID's they were bright and white, how can I get this on the rav?

Smacks of poor earthing if you see no difference, but would not expect a 2011 car to have a corroded earth strap.....loose....?

They will look yellow compared with HIDs. If you stand outside and look at them they will look yellow compared to the CREE sidelights too. However, they do give an improvement over the standard fit bulbs when driving.

If you want to get to the brightness of HIDs you will have to fit an aftermarket set but it won't be strictly legal. There will be loads of room to fit the kit on your 2011 model.

I fitted amber LED's to my Prius sidelights. When the time for the MOT came, they took them out and put ordinary bulbs back in, saying it was illegal to have non-white sidelights. Strange that all those BMW's come off the production line with illegal lighting... If they'd whinged about the lack of a kitemark I'd have taken them more seriously.

Anyway, check that your tester is happy with your LED's before the MOT!