Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cracked/chipped/broken Tyre Valves, Won't Inflate!

monkeyferret

Hello!

Newbie here.....

Bought 2005 Rav4 XT5 from garage and collected it on Saturday. MOT etc all there.

5 or 6 hours later....(after driving from Sunderland, to Thirsk, to Hartlepool) and realise have a flat tyre!!!! :mad2: Bit !Removed! annoying really, only 5 hours after buying it......

anyway.....everything was on mega tight so took forever to get off, couldn't inflate it because the tyre valve thingy appears to be cracked? With a chip in the side? and my pump, and air pump at petrol station won't fit it.

After much perserverence and trying many different pumps, manage to inflate it somewhat but only once OFF the car (so changed wheel.....). Think ok.....bad luck maybe....perhaps it is slow puncture and can get sorted.....no need to panic/get annoyed.....

Check rest of wheels for tyre pressure etc and find 2 of the other tyre valves are ALSO chipped/cracked broken. Tyre pressure on another wheel is low, so take it to petrol station today and try to inflate and won't inflate! Because of chipped/cracked valve thingy so wheel goes flat! ARGH! So have to change wheel again (back to somewhat inflated one that became spare.....)

MEGA annoying! :mad2:

Question really is, has anyone else come across cracked/chipped tyre valves like this? Which won't inflate with pumps and if so any words of wisdom on what to do?

Do you reckon we should contact garage got it from and complain?

Is just so annoying.......that just don't know what to do now really!

Hope someone has some words of wisdom, or similar experience to share......

thanks!

Hi and welcome to the club :thumbsup:

Not personally come across this one but sounds as if someone has been careless with the valves somehow. I'd certainly contact the garage to see if they will pay for new valves. Tell them how unimpressed you are and take some photos and send them.

Nothing to lose.

Take us a photo too. I would have though any decent tyre garage would be willing to point you in the right direction as we are flying blind here.

We've had lots of bow wow avatars lately but that doesn't look like a bow wow to me. Where are my bicycle clips? I sense mischief.

Hi MF,

Yes, a close-up photo of the damaged valve would be helpful. Puzzled that it's actually possible to 'chip' something usually made from brass and rubber...

Chris

Really interested in a wee phoaty or two also,MF.....by "cracked" could they be the wee posh aftermarket CHROMED valves that have "peeled" and look cracked as you describe. Just about to have 4 of these fitted to wife's new alloys and winter tyres, so feedback on their makeup would oblige.

Big Kev

Really interested in a wee phoaty or two also,MF.....by "cracked" could they be the wee posh aftermarket CHROMED valves that have "peeled" and look cracked as you describe. Just about to have 4 of these fitted to wife's new alloys and winter tyres, so feedback on their makeup would oblige.

Big Kev

FYI, Kev, I had chromed valves and caps fitted to my three-dr when the new Coopers were fitted late 2011 by TWS. They seem to be good quality and have kept their finish. One of them has come adrift from the valve (only obvious when removing the cap to check pressure) although once the cap's refitted, everything's OK.

I've seen this before, the reason was the previous owner had used metal valve caps, but took them off before selling the car, replacing them with plastic. Metal caps look nice BUT not many people realize you have to use copper slip or similar on the thread or they seize and are almost impossible to remove without damage. If the previous owner decided to try and remove them that may exaplin the damage your explaining.. my best guess.

I've seen this before, the reason was the previous owner had used metal valve caps, but took them off before selling the car, replacing them with plastic. Metal caps look nice BUT not many people realize you have to use copper slip or similar on the thread or they seize and are almost impossible to remove without damage. If the previous owner decided to try and remove them that may exaplin the damage your explaining.. my best guess.

Strangely enough, had intended to smear wee dod of at least vaseline for this very reason.

Strangely enough, had intended to smear wee dod of at least vaseline for this very reason.

You really should, if you have metal caps they will eventually weld themselves on and render the tyre useless. :)

Thanks for replies guys -

sent other half to take photos tonight, in dark, before dropping car off at garage round the corner.....should've gone and done it myself.....prepare for worst photos ever.....

If photos fail, imagine tube shape (which the metal bit is, like a toilet roll cylinder,) with a bite taken out of one end/edge, semi-circle shape if you get me.......

3 of the valves are like this...

worst photos ever coming up...........

DSCF9077_zpsd28a64e1.jpg

DSCF9074_zps068009ca.jpg

DSCF9073_zps4cd471fb.jpg

From the state of them, they look as if they have been running around with no caps on for some time..................

Could be damage from stones or, more likely careless use of an inflator I would think.

They are not serviceable and need to be changed at a tyre fitters. If you ask them nicely they will probably let you have some nice metal caps for the new valves - most tyre places have some knocking around.

You really should, if you have metal caps they will eventually weld themselves on and render the tyre useless. :)

Shouldn't be a problem if tyre pressure are checked regularly but a tiny wee dab of suitable grease will deffinitely help :thumbsup:

They are what we call up here "TG".........Totally Gubbed. We need a metallurgical type like davem to theorise on that kind of damage.

Big Kev

I would hazard a guess that they DID have metal dust caps fitted and the caps got 'welded' onto the valve stem, and a heavy handed approach with a pair of pliers was taken to remove and mucked up the shape of the valve, so the valve core no longer fits snugly.

New valves needed there!

FWIW, I had metal dust caps on my last RAV and omitted to use any precautions regarding stopping the chemical reaction to prevent the cap welding itself to the valve. All that I needed to do was to use a Dremel to cut a slot in the top of the dust cap and then insert a flat-bladed screwdriver in the slot and give it a twist. Viola! Dust cap splits into two halves and can then easily be removed from valve stem. This tip may help others in the same situation as using a pair of pliers to try and undo a seized cap is not a good move :(

I would hazard a guess that they DID have metal dust caps fitted and the caps got 'welded' onto the valve stem, and a heavy handed approach with a pair of pliers was taken to remove and mucked up the shape of the valve, so the valve core no longer fits snugly.

New valves needed there!

FWIW, I had metal dust caps on my last RAV and omitted to use any precautions regarding stopping the chemical reaction to prevent the cap welding itself to the valve. All that I needed to do was to use a Dremel to cut a slot in the top of the dust cap and then insert a flat-bladed screwdriver in the slot and give it a twist. Viola! Dust cap splits into two halves and can then easily be removed from valve stem. This tip may help others in the same situation as using a pair of pliers to try and undo a seized cap is not a good move :(

Interestingly enough, my metal caps whizz off & on with no trouble and without any copper grease, etc. Mind you, the tyre pressures are checked every w/e so that might prevent unplanned welding. In any event, I'm too lazy to grease them everytime they're refitted!

my first RAV (a 3 door) came with metal dust cap which had "welded" themselves to the valves.

Fortunately, I had bought from a local (to me) garage and he replaced all five valves free of charge.

Speak to your seller and get an agreement to pay.

Then visit a local reputable tyre fitter and get the job done.

I'm surprised that this sort of damage isn't covered by the MOT test.

Can I see a painted brake drum inside that wheel? Somebody been doing a spot of filing through the holes in the wheels by any chance?

Ah, in my case I used to never take the caps off as I would NEVER check the pressures with a gauge :)

And before that is seen as irresponsible, actually, I monitor the pressures of each tyre continuously using a TPMS system, which is far more reliable and safe then checking once a week ;)

New valves needed there!

Interestingly enough, my metal caps whizz off & on with no trouble and without any copper grease, etc. Mind you, the tyre pressures are checked every w/e so that might prevent unplanned welding. In any event, I'm too lazy to grease them everytime they're refitted!

I have once seen similar damage Tyre valves which was caused by the owner using that awful substance known as wonder wheels !! Truckwash can cause it as well !

Anyone who has those metal valve caps IMHO should bin them or at least smear the threaded part of the valve as they do seize on in very little time !

Then they are sometimes removed with what is known as the heavy tool in the building trade IE Brute force and Ignorance.. It looks like the heavy tool has been used on the pictured valves taking some of the valve with it....

It should cost no more than 20 quid for your tyre man to replace them and a few quid to balance it all up again..

Off topic or at least staying with wheels ..

I have been using Collinite 476S as a wheel sealant over the last few months.. Results ??? Absolutely Awesome !! It is outperforming Jetseal 109 with ease !! Wheels simply come up fantastic with just a foam and powerwash and look like they have just been sealed !!

After all most wheels are finished with a lacquer coat over paint and which is the most durable product on paint...... Collinite !

During winter months once the wheels are sealed I use NO wheel cleaner at all simply as using such products remove the sealant used in no time..

Thank you for all replies!

Speak to your seller and get an agreement to pay.

Then visit a local reputable tyre fitter and get the job done.

I'm surprised that this sort of damage isn't covered by the MOT test.

Unfortunetely can't afford to wait til the weekend to take car back to garage (in Sunderland - I'm in North Yorkshire) as need the car before then! And at work all week (8 - 6). So dropped it off at local garage yesterday, and picking it up tomorrow. Will email pictures to seller and copy of receipt showing cost to fix it. It has an MOT , only bought car Saturday and they 'serviced' and 'mot-ed' it for us. I am also surprised it got through....especially as pressures cannot have been correct,must have been slowly going down to have caused us to have a flat tyre 5 hours after collecting it. Seems a bit dodgy really......but love car apart from that.....!

Can I see a painted brake drum inside that wheel? Somebody been doing a spot of filing through the holes in the wheels by any chance?

I'm sorry....I have no idea what you're on about! :unsure: (picture was taken in the dark though and car rather dirty?!)

Are tyre pressures checked as part of the MOT?

Regardless of if yes or no, garage letting that go unfixed is well out of order! a note to the garage with request to pay up the rectification costs or refer to TSO should do the trick :)