Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

A New Owner With Some Questions

Daddyslaphead

Hello to all from an Aygo virgin,

I’ve been hiding in the shadows for a bit and picked up lots of really useful hints and info from this forum, so thanks for thatJ

I thought think that the time has come to emerge from the closset & introduce myself & also to ask a few questions, but before doing so I should tell you about my recent purchase.

I am the proud owner of a 09 Aygo Blue with 31K on the clock, purchased a couple of weeks ago from my local Toyota dealer. The transaction was a pleasant enough experience (apart from handing over the wedge) and the whole thing was made very easy thanks to computerisation. When I checked the tyres they all looked OK to me, but when I collected the car I was told that they had replaced the offside rear and also replaced the front pads. I don’t know what was wrong with the tyre but sure enough a new one had been fitted, and it was good to know that the pads had been replaced too. Overall the car is in nice condition but there is a hole in the carpet by the clutch pedal which had clearly been caused by a lady’s stiletto heel. The dealership agreed to throw in a set of Toyota mats so at least the hole is covered up.

Anyway, so far I’m very pleased with my ‘Blue’. Lots of good things to say about it and perhaps a few minor gripes as well but the good definitely outweighs the bad. I was a bit surprised with the high clutch bite and did query this with the dealer. I was told that it’s normal for an Aygo and I have since learned that this is indeed the case. There’s no slippage and all gear changes are smooth and easy so I don’ think there’s a problem.

We all know that the Aygo isn’t exactly overburdened with instrumentation so I thought I’d fit an aftermarket digital jobbie such as offered by Scangauge or Ultragauge. In particular, the Aygo’s lack of a proper temperature gauge makes me nervous. I’d like to know of a potential overheating issue before it registers on the car’s display as being already too hot! On the other hand, it’s all well and good knowing what the temperature is, but what should be regarded as the normal coolant temperature when the engine is warmed up? What maximum temperature over and above normal would you consider OK before assuming there is a problem? I just rather not wait for a warning that the engine is already overheating. Finally, I like the sound of the Ultragauge as that has the possibility of setting audible warnings, it’s thinner than the Scangauge and a good deal cheaper too. Problem is that I can’t seem to find a retailer in the UK for the Ultra so does anyone know of one?

Also does anyone have suggestions as to alternatives to the Scangauge and Ultragauge?

Apologies for all waffle but to recap, my questions are:-

1) What is the normal coolant temperature when this engine is at operating temperature?

2) What would you consider to be an acceptable maximum value above normal?

3) Is the Ultragauge sold in the UK and what alternatives are there – are they any good?

Thanks all

DSH

welcome to the club , hope you are enjoying your AYGO. In the Aygo Haynes manual, it says thermostat starts to open at 80/84 deg, fully open at 95 deg and fan cuts in at 93 deg, i guess normal running is somewere between 84 to 93 deg.

Scan gauge and Scanguage 2 are available via Amazon :)

I was also concerned at the 'high' clutch but was assured by the Toyota dealer that it was normal. No problems to date but then I haven't done a high mileage since buying. I like the car, a great little run about. Now I own one, I am noticing just how many of them plus the Citroen/Peugot versions are on the road - good recommendation I guess.

1 - normal driving is 84 Deg C on a run with no fan.

2 - it goes to about 93-94 in traffic on a warm day then the fan cuts in. Cuts out again once it is down to 86.

3 - Scanguage 2 is the one I have, looking to move to an Ultragauge as it is cheaper and newer - available in the UK (try their original site).

Cheaper option is the Scanguage E which also includes very basic graphs.

1 - normal driving is 84 Deg C on a run with no fan.

2 - it goes to about 93-94 in traffic on a warm day then the fan cuts in. Cuts out again once it is down to 86.

3 - Scanguage 2 is the one I have, looking to move to an Ultragauge as it is cheaper and newer - available in the UK (try their original site).

Cheaper option is the Scanguage E which also includes very basic graphs.

Hi Arragonis and thansk for your info. Exactly what I was looking for.

Meantime I have not been able to locate any UK based retailer for the Ultragauge. You mentioned their original site? The only Ultragauge site I've been able to locate is in the US and likewise all the retailers seem to be US based. Do you have a link to a UK retailer?

Thanks

DSH

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links