Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Problem With 2002 Yaris

lanny63

Hi everyone,

Ive just joined here to see if anyone can help me with a problem i have with my Yaris.

Its a 2002 Diesel, and has been running brilliantly since i got it 3 years ago. About 5 months ago, it totally cut out while i was stationary in traffic. Put it into 1st gear, it juddered and then died, i had no power, lights, etc. Wouldnt start up, so left it turned off for 5 minutes and it started.

Ever since then, every few months it does the exact same thing. Have taken it to my local garage where theyve checked it over and hooked it up to the computer, and cant find anything wrong.

It completely died again a couple of weeks ago, while i was crossing a major junction at 7pm, so it was dark, hazards wouldnt come on, no lights or anthing. Was nearly wiped out by a lorry, who luckily saw me at the last minute. Again, i took it to the garage, and they checked it all again, and still couldnt find anything wrong.

And tonight, it has done the exact same thing, and its getting fairly frustrating as theres something wrong but the garage cant find out what.

Hi everyone,

Ive just joined here to see if anyone can help me with a problem i have with my Yaris.

Its a 2002 Diesel, and has been running brilliantly since i got it 3 years ago. About 5 months ago, it totally cut out while i was stationary in traffic. Put it into 1st gear, it juddered and then died, i had no power, lights, etc. Wouldnt start up, so left it turned off for 5 minutes and it started.

Ever since then, every few months it does the exact same thing. Have taken it to my local garage where theyve checked it over and hooked it up to the computer, and cant find anything wrong.

It completely died again a couple of weeks ago, while i was crossing a major junction at 7pm, so it was dark, hazards wouldnt come on, no lights or anthing. Was nearly wiped out by a lorry, who luckily saw me at the last minute. Again, i took it to the garage, and they checked it all again, and still couldnt find anything wrong.

And tonight, it has done the exact same thing, and its getting fairly frustrating as theres something wrong but the garage cant find out what.

Remake the Battery connections even if they look and test OK. Remake the earth connections to the car body and engine. How old is the Battery? It may well have a faulty cell which will test OK most of the time, then fail on the odd occasion. If there are any primary fuses, i.e. 100 or 80 amps renew them, and clean the connections. If all this makes no difference, renew the Battery.

Regards Geoff Peace.

I suspect the answer lies in the " Ever since then, every few months it does the exact same thing. Have taken it to my local garage where theyve checked it over and hooked it up to the computer, and cant find anything wrong."

So it's either a fuel pump failure -intermittent - which seems unlikely - or far more likely a choked up EGR valve and inlet manifold. When badly affected the car will run strangrly - especially noticeable at low speed . Indeed, the valve may jam, .

I suggest you ask your garage to remove and clean the EGR valve. It's held on by two nuts and removal and cleaning should take no more than 1 - 1.5 hours.

As for what it is: see this diagram..

http://www.toyodiy.c...HMRXW_2501.html

Edit

Geoff's advice above is also valid... But I find Yaris batteries very long lasting...My son's is 11 years old and my diesel's is 10. If faulty, you should have starting issues when cold.

Hi everyone,

Remake the Battery connections even if they look and test OK. Remake the earth connections to the car body and engine. How old is the Battery? It may well have a faulty cell which will test OK most of the time, then fail on the odd occasion. If there are any primary fuses, i.e. 100 or 80 amps renew them, and clean the connections. If all this makes no difference, renew the Battery.

Regards Geoff Peace.

Thanks for your reply. The battery is about 8 months old, had it changed due to continual no starting last year. Found out it was the original battery, so got it replaced.

I suspect the answer lies in the " Ever since then, every few months it does the exact same thing. Have taken it to my local garage where theyve checked it over and hooked it up to the computer, and cant find anything wrong."

So it's either a fuel pump failure -intermittent - which seems unlikely - or far more likely a choked up EGR valve and inlet manifold. When badly affected the car will run strangrly - especially noticeable at low speed . Indeed, the valve may jam, .

I suggest you ask your garage to remove and clean the EGR valve. It's held on by two nuts and removal and cleaning should take no more than 1 - 1.5 hours.

As for what it is: see this diagram..

http://www.toyodiy.c...HMRXW_2501.html

Edit

Geoff's advice above is also valid... But I find Yaris batteries very long lasting...My son's is 11 years old and my diesel's is 10. If faulty, you should have starting issues when cold.

Im a typical female im afraid....what does an EGR valve do exactly? Just out of curiosity?? Think ill show my dad your reply...he might understand it more than i do haha

Update....car cut out again tonight on the motorway coming home from work.

Took it to a friend of my dads, whos got a computer thing for diesel vehicles, as he works on lorries. Hooked it up and it came up with a fault code P1229, which is a problem with the fuel pump system. Could be a big problem, or a loose connection somewhere.

Car is booked to go into garage now on Monday, so our mechanic can investigate further...fingers crossed its not an expensive job...at least i know theres definately a problem now.

Took it to a friend of my dads, whos got a computer thing for diesel vehicles, as he works on lorries. Hooked it up and it came up with a fault code P1229, which is a problem with the fuel pump system. Could be a big problem, or a loose connection somewhere.

Car is booked to go into garage now on Monday, so our mechanic can investigate further...fingers crossed its not an expensive job...at least i know theres definately a problem now.

In your original post you said you lost all power, no lights etc. If the fuel pump cut out you would lose power, but you would still have lights! Or have I missed something? If the fuel pump is cutting out examine the injection fuses and the fuel pump relay.

Regards Geoff Peace.

In your original post you said you lost all power, no lights etc. If the fuel pump cut out you would lose power, but you would still have lights! Or have I missed something? If the fuel pump is cutting out examine the injection fuses and the fuel pump relay.

Regards Geoff Peace.

Hi Geoff,

Absolutely no idea....i only know how to drive cars, nothing about whats under the bonnet or how it all works haha. Ill post back once the garage has looked on monday....hopefully with good news!