Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Tyre Time - Gen 2 Prius

bells0

When i bought my T Spirit back at the end of March last year it came with 4 super budget tyres on it. 2 new on the back, which are still ok, but the fronts are now nearly shot.

Struggling for £££ at the mo, so need to choose something at a good price that will still give me reasonable mpg. Guessing the ones on arent do anything for my mpg [52 average this Summer, though i do live in a very hilly area].

So, guru's - any suggestions that aren't going to break the bank??

I was happy with some Falken Ziex 912's on my old Nissan Note. Smooth ride, keenly priced, decent grip. Blackcircles.com

Sounds a bit sad, but i've had company cars for 15 years, and until made redundant last year - not had to buy tyres!!

I guess i would like to keep it around the £65-£75 each max??

OK, I think that's a fair budget to work with, what tyre sizes are you running? Sorry I have a GEN3 so haven't a clue what you have ;-)

That's a good question - i'd better check later. Pretty sure they are 16in, but as for the rest - clueless!! Ta

Should be able to get some decent low rolling resistance tyres at that price (unless you need low profile tyres). You can often get a quantity discount if you buy more than one. If you buy online (like blackcircles) check cashback sites like topcashback to see if you can get a bonus.

What tyre size do you need?

If you don't know, you can visit http://www.mytyres.co.uk/Tyres.html

Scroll down and there is a box for you to type in your reg no.

The website should then be able to tell you want size tyres you need.

The standard GenII is an odd size 195/55/16 (probably were going to be runflats originally methinks, but then TPMS added too much to cost), so they aren't cheap. under £60 per tyre will be the no-one-ever-heard-of names.

Falken or Kumho are about £70, but i wouldn't do any spirited driving with them.

A lot of us bite the bullet and change all four to a more popular size that's £70 for a premium brand, but then that's twice your budget.

Be happy to do that i guess if it meant i had good rubber on the car!

What would i be looking at then - if changing from the current size?

Mytyres website brings back this for my reg number: 195/55 R16 87H

icon_print.gif

OK, I've had a look at the Camskill website for your size 195/55/16 click here . p.s. you did say £65-£75 each didn't you?

Amongst other brands and tyres they have Michelin Energy Saver available in that size for about £75 each (delivery will be another couple of quid on top). Get them delivered and take them to any independent tyre fitter near to you who will fit them for a max of tenner per wheel. A little bit more than you budgeted for but Michelins will last a lot longer than Falkens ever did in my experience!

Alternatively they have Goodyear Efficient Grip for £71 each plus delivery and fitting.

I've found Camskill to be by far the cheapest every time I've had to have tyres fitted, and never had problems with them, but if you're unsure then you can use this info to haggle with your local tyre fitter too ;-) Take a print out and take it in to them and see what they can offer to match!

That's a lot cheaper than when I wrote all that stuff about choices.

Those Energy savers seem to be a bargain.

I wonder if they are running down the Energy Saver stock cheap as there's the Energy Saver+ out now?

Crikey - how many different types of Michelin energy tyres?! - quite confusing..........

Asda Tyres have Marshals in the 295/55/16H size - 70.79. One of Kumho's brands, so Korean. Kumho are OK - we've had them on our Mazda 2, and now have them on the Mazda's replacement, a 12 reg Hyundai i20. VW also fit them as OE on new Polos.

Have you thought about the 205/55/16 Michelin. You will be on a more standard tyre and ill be cheaper. Will also give you a more accurate tachometer, a it brings the variance down from 6% to 2%. Then you will also get. True mpg, rather than one that is 6% out.

Is looking like it will be the best bet. May call Costco, see what their pricing is.

Have a look at the Michelin Energy Saver Plus in 195/55R16, Costco wanted £116 fitted, but you can get them a lot cheaper via other tyre dealers on the web.

My local tyre dealer fitted them for £95 each and included a four wheel laser track as well for that price

They are also more efficient on the new tyre rating showing "C" for fuel efficiency, "A" for wet weather and "70" for tyre noise.

The first thing I noticed was how quiet they are in comparison to the Bridgestones that had been on the car from new, and on the new ratings, Bridgestones only seem to show as "E" for fuel efficiency, and although with this cold weather it's not the right time to really start looking at fuel consumption, my car is showing much better fuel figures and is using less fuel.

Whilst I appreciate money can be a bit tight, do you really want the cheapest tyres fitted to your car, for after all they are your only link with the road?

Not only that, but cheaper tyres tend to wear quicker too.

I've thought about running different size tyres on mine, but the added hassle of informing the insurers (and the extra cost as they're bound to increase your premiums but not running 'standard' fit) has always put me off...

I am due new tyres soon and I will get 4 Michelin Energy plus tyres. They were top in the Which survey and I am pleased that they seem to be quiet. I have only had one full set of Michelins on a Polo and they were great. My last SAAB has one on the rear from the factory with 66,000 miles on it. If you could have a free set of tyres..... you would have the Michelins wouldn't you .....go on buy them.

I'd also choose the Michelin Energy Saver Plus, but at £120 a corner, changing four would not leave much change out of £500.

When I had a Vauxhall, I used to like Uniroyal probably because of the adverts at the time with the Orangutans...and they say advertising doesn't work?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvzrHggs_7c

Why would you pay £120 a corner for Energy Saver Plus's?

Just search for Blackcircles on the web, get a quote near where ever you are and the fitted price will be a lot less than the £120 your stating.

Why would you pay £120 a corner for Energy Saver Plus's?

Just search for Blackcircles on the web, get a quote near where ever you are and the fitted price will be a lot less than the £120 your stating.

It came to £119.93 per tyre, I searched the Blackcircle.com website, as you were so rude - I've pasted the results below for Michelin Energy Saver + from the right-most of the three boxes displayed on my web browser under "Our deals". (The other two tyres on that same row were Accelera Alpha and Bridgestone Turanza ER300).

Michelin Energy Saver +

195/55 R16 V (87)

£119.93

Fully fitted price

Don't think he was meaning to be rude - but happy if anyone can find them for around the £80 each that was posted earlier in the thread, but fitted!!

Camskill seem to be the cheapest to buy unfitted.

His meaning was very clear to me, he said I hadn't bothered to search before posting and that I should to use his words "Just search for blackcircles on the web...".

£120 seems to be the going price from the main sellers, with Michelin selling so many different spec tyres under similar names, I'd personally be wary that a cheap deal really was for the same spec tyre, sometimes when the price is too good to true that's because it is!

How can asking anyone why they would pay £120 for a tyre that can be purchased cheaper be classed by you as rude ????????????????????????????????????????

If you search Blackcircles giving your location, click on buy, they tell you where in your location you can buy the tyres at a fitted price, then all you do is ring that tyre dealer yourself and get a quote, that's what I did and it was quite a bit cheaper.

Main sellers, Kwick Fit etc, will always be dearer as the have overheads, bigger premises to heat, light, shareholders etc to satisfy, but the independent family run business's don't suffer from this, and, as such, can give better prices,and better, personal service, that we should be supporting to stop them going out of business in these problem times.

Some of these local family run business's have been going longer than some of the main sellers, and they only do that on reputation and good service, these also give you the facility to actually see the tyre being fitted, instead of ushering you to a seated area, where you can read magazines two or three years old.

As for your comment that a cheap deal that is not, all tyres now come with a new label giving fuel efficency, wet grip, and noise, and if you have any problems or concerns then Michelin can be contacted direct for answers and confirmation.

I don't know of any tyre dealers in the country that can supply every tyre from every maker off the shelf, as the vast ranges covered make it not possible, so they all have to order them in for the next day, and these must come from either the maker or a central warehouse, so where is the problem?

I would add that the spec of each tyre is clearly marked on the sidewall for all to see.

The day's for dodgy remould cross ply tryes that lost their tread after fifty miles is long gone.