Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Tyre Time - Gen 2 Prius

bells0

If you are happy with T speed rating (up to 118mph) they are cheaper.

Look for 195/55/R16 87T

You might find a national chain shop with a deal on?

Also the "87H" is speed rated to 130 mph, and if you enter that your car is a Prius on the Blackcircles site, they confirm that this a correct speed rating for the Gen 2 prius and will cope with braking etc.

Just put Michelin Energy Saver tyres on my Prius Gen 2. Very happy with them, and having had Michelins before many times on many cars I'm confident they should last ages. MPG is a bit better this winter over last as well, when it had some tired Bridgestones.

As to price - yes, the initial asking price was about £120 a corner, but surely nobody in their right mind pays any price anywhere without a little attempt at a haggle? Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Car stuff, usually a bit to play with.Tesco - well, not so much (although not unknown!).

So this week, the dealer wouldn't shift on the MOT price (previously they always have), but at least they give me a free lift to work in the morning, clean the car, and collect me again at the end of the day.

But the tyres cost me £385 fitted in the end, after a bit of squealing on their part, as opposed to the original £475 ish proposed. Might have done even better with a bigger shop about I expect.

Don't ask, don't get.

Have you considered 205/55/R16/91V instead?
Michelin Energy Saver + available under £85 (fully fitted) at Blackcircles, and for just over £65 at Camskill.

Had them fitted a few months ago. Have Toyota extended warranty on the vehicle so I checked with them (Mr T) and also the insurer beforehand. Toyota warranty provider told me that there is no issue as long as the dealer is okay with the change (which they were, got it in writing). The insurer was fine with it too as long as I paid about £30 quids for increase in premium for using "non-standard" size. Costco was offering 25% discount at the time, so got them fitted for under £65 a piece!! tongue.png

Cheaper than the the 195/55/R16/V even at regular price, so give it a thought.

How can asking anyone why they would pay £120 for a tyre that can be purchased cheaper be classed by you as rude ????????????????????????????????????????

<snip>

Because I didn't understand your thinking behind your short post, and filling in the gaps that you had left unwritten, I came up with a different explanation. Instead of going all around the houses, it would have been much simpler to say something like - "I managed to purchase the same tyres from a local independent/family owned retailer for much less than the best online quote I could find".

The searching Blackcircles website seems to be fairly irrelevant and a distraction from the point you were trying to make.

Having re-read your original response to my post, it reminds me of the opening line of the TV adverts for car insurance, "Are you paying too much for your car insurance?".

I'd also choose the Michelin Energy Saver Plus, but at £120 a corner, changing four would not leave much change out of £500.

When I had a Vauxhall, I used to like Uniroyal probably because of the adverts at the time with the Orangutans...and they say advertising doesn't work?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvzrHggs_7c

In post #20 you quoted as above, so in quoting £120 a corner you had obviously done some kind of search and arrived at this price, hence my question as to if you had tried Blackcircles, so "VERY RELEVANT", as is the mention of using independent/family run business's where you meet the same face to face person each and every time, and they give something called "Old fashioned service", and if you had looked at their site and done the work yourself as to getting a better price, you too would have arrived at a better price than you one you quoted, and now ask if your smoke screen is clouding your own vision?

All I did in asking if you had looked at Blackcircles was to ask a straight question, which as you had not done, seemed to upset you, so in closing, "GOOGLE" is your friend and will always help you in the future, but if you want to pay full price for items that in this day and age you don't need to, as stated by another poster in this thread, then be my guest and go ahead and do so, but I, and others on here will continue to look for the best price available on the day.

This is now becoming gyratory, and spoiling the original thread, and if you wish to continue it, then take it to PM, so lets get back to the question of what other tyres/sizes can be obtained for the Prius, and at the best price.

As for the quote about Orangutangs, perhaps they too are suffering from smoke inhalation?

Gotta say, getting 4 Mich Energy saver+ 205/55/91v @ £65.20 each at Camskills sounds like the plan. £70 cheaper than blackcircles fitted, but surely it won't cost be anywhere near £70 to have 4 tyres fitted??

Didnt realise you had to notify insurers, guess i'd better see what Direct Line say.

Passing our local ATS/Euromaster today they are advertising 30% off Michelin.

surely it won't cost be anywhere near £70 to have 4 tyres fitted??

Our local garage charges £12.50 (inc vat, valve and cap) per tyre.

Passing our local ATS/Euromaster today they are advertising 30% off Michelin.

Nice shout - website shows £347.96 for the 205 width energy save + fitted and balanced.

Ended up going with black circles for the Energy save + @ £342.50 fitted at my local Vauxhall dealership [so hoping for better service that the local 1 man band garage].

Double tesco clubcard point [647] and £7.49 cashback from topcashback.

This is for the 205 width, couldn't justify £120+ more for the 195 width!!

Ended up going with black circles for the Energy save + @ £342.50 fitted at my local Vauxhall dealership [so hoping for better service that the local 1 man band garage].

Double tesco clubcard point [647] and £7.49 cashback from topcashback.

This is for the 205 width, couldn't justify £120+ more for the 195 width!!

Well done, very good price and proves what we have maintained, that it is always best to shop around, and not accept the first price you see :-)

Blackcircle just called, the Vauxhall garage couldnt do it on Saturday, so they have arranged for another local garage to do it and refunded me £5.

My insurer only seems to want to know about these sorts of things if the wheel/tyre size changes. I still tell them about everything anyway, can't be too careful these days...

"ANY" change to the car, brakes, tyres, wheels, exhaust, performance (chipping, mapping, diesel performance boxes etc) in fact anything that takes the car away from makers spec, including anything that in their opinion might make the car more attractive to a thief, must be notified to your insurer, and, be sure to get their confirmation in writing.

Failing to do so, just gives a them reason to void any claim you might make, their get out will be that all this is clearly marked in your policy.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links