Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris 1999 Replacement Headlight/headlamp Japanese Or French? Electric

BMcK

Hey, I need to replace the headlights for my Toyota Yaris 1999, but have found that the car was either produced in Japan or French, and each have different electrical connectors within the headlights, I have found replacement headlights with triangle connectors, but no way of knowing what connector was used with which build. i.e. did japan or france use triangle electrical connectors and what did the other use?

If it's 1999, it will be Japanese. French production did not start till 2002 or 3 (can't recall)

Sorry : no idea.

But I recall vaguely this being discussed years ago so search ..

It will deffo be Japanese, just take a look at the back of the lamp you have and make a note

• 3 years later...

I bought a set of replacement headlamps last week and hit the same issue. On the replacements, the beam adjuster motor is integral, with a triangular connector. On the originals, the beam adjuster motor is a bayonet fit to the back of the headlamp and has a straight connector.

Unless you know what you are looking for you can't really tell which type you've got until after you've removed the unit from the car.

I was going to fit the new headlights anyway (my wife never uses the beam adjuster anyway) but then found the indicator fitting is also different. The original bulbholder has a three-prong bayonet, but the replacement headlamp unit is expecting to receive a four-prong bayonet.

There don't seem to be any after market headlamps available that are an exact match - unless someone on here knows different? If not it's looking like a rewire job for the beam motor connection - and superglue for the indicator bulbholder!

• 1 month later...
On 26 January 2016 at 6:04 PM, robertsmith72 said:

I bought a set of replacement headlamps last week and hit the same issue. On the replacements, the beam adjuster motor is integral, with a triangular connector. On the originals, the beam adjuster motor is a bayonet fit to the back of the headlamp and has a straight connector.

Unless you know what you are looking for you can't really tell which type you've got until after you've removed the unit from the car.

I was going to fit the new headlights anyway (my wife never uses the beam adjuster anyway) but then found the indicator fitting is also different. The original bulbholder has a three-prong bayonet, but the replacement headlamp unit is expecting to receive a four-prong bayonet.

There don't seem to be any after market headlamps available that are an exact match - unless someone on here knows different? If not it's looking like a rewire job for the beam motor connection - and superglue for the indicator bulbholder!

Did you get an answer to this? I had exactly the same issue today. I also received a set of lights with the triangular leveller plug and plan to send them back. Did you find aftermarket alternatives for the other type?

Hi. No, I didn't get an answer. I've made up connectors for the triangular leveller plug so I can re-wire my Yaris and intend to cut new slots in the bulb holders to adapt the headlamps take my existing side and indicator bulb holders. I'll probably use some silicon sealer as well - as I don't want moisture getting into the headlamps.

To be honest I've been putting it off waiting for a warm weekend - but MoT is now imminent so it's going to have to be done.

Will post an update on here if all goes well

• Like 1

On 07/03/2016 at 1:01 PM, robertsmith72 said:

Hi. No, I didn't get an answer. I've made up connectors for the triangular leveller plug so I can re-wire my Yaris and intend to cut new slots in the bulb holders to adapt the headlamps take my existing side and indicator bulb holders. I'll probably use some silicon sealer as well - as I don't want moisture getting into the headlamps.

To be honest I've been putting it off waiting for a warm weekend - but MoT is now imminent so it's going to have to be done.

Will post an update on here if all goes well

How did you get around the different sidelight plug? I'm guessing that the external latch on the black plug could be cut off and then silicon/tape the plug to hold it in place? (assuming that the pins and locator peg fit)

sidelight.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

MoT time was coming up - so I've swapped the lights.

Leveling motor - For the leveling motor connector (ie triangular rather than flat) I failed to find a wiring diagram that allowed me to work out which wire to connect where. So for now I've attached three wires to the headlight units using insulated spade connectors (speaker ones fit nicely) - and left them dangling (who really needs a leveling motor anyway!). At least if I do find a wiring diagram I can now connect them up without having to remove the headlight units again.

Sidelights - The original bulbholder fitted the replacement unit with no problem (4-point bayonet)

Indicators - The original bulbholder has a 3-point bayonet fitting, the new headlamp unit had slots for a 4-point bayonet. I lined the bulbholder up using the widest lug, and marked the headlight unit with where the new slots needed to be - then carefully filed two new slots. By filing off the minimum amount of plastic, leaving the bulbholder a tight fit, I found that once the bulbholder was pushed in and twisted, all three lugs held like they should, keeping everything nice and secure.

All that was left to do then was to fit the units, replace the bumper - and wait until it got dark so I could align the new lamps. They actually weren't that far out.

Fingers crossed the Yaris will now pass it's MoT.

Bumpydog - As you can see, instead of worrying about  the different sidelight plug, I simply transferred my original bulbholder to the new headlamp.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links