Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyre Question?

Migworks

Hi I've been offered a set of

4 x 225 x 55r x 16 95V Pirelli P7 run flat Tyres that a mate had on his 5 series BMW, all four costing €150. They are on BMW rims but I could sell them on.

My 2002 Rav4 D4D NRG has the normal alloys with 235 x 65 x 16 Tyres, and even though I've checked with a tyre garage that they would fit, the 55 profile worries me, as in what it will do for the mpg, road noise, handling, level of comfort over rough Irish roads!

In my own mind I don't think they would be suitable but if any Rav owners have tried out or know a bit behind the science of Tyres would be grateful.

I think Big Kev did it on a 4.2. Just wait till he falls out of bed................

Thanks Don, I'll check back tomorrow. Would be handy if they fit I need 2 Tyres to pass the NCT (Ireland's mot) end of jan! I can get two proper but cheap brand Tyres for the same money from a mate in the trade, but would rather fit four pirelli's if I can.

Wyn.....if these are Pirelli Scorpions you have the chance of, they easily qualify as the noisiest tyres I have ever driven on.

Wife's 3 door, Funnerburd Too, originally came fitted with 235.55.17 Scorpions. (Special Edition "Granite", hence 17" rims.)

Due to state of Glesga Roads, and woeful noise of the Scorpeez (young folk speak there.....), I fitted it with 235.60.17 in the hope it would improve the noise and the pothole performance. For once I guessed right and it rode the missing tarmac slightly better with an improvement in road noise. (Bridgestone Turanzas.)

It currently is sporting its lovely new winter tyres at 225.65.17, and apart from looking the business, as previously documented hereon, them winter low temp tyres are marvellous. In honesty having gone from originally specified 55 profile to these 65, it does feel a wee bit "bouncy", but at winter speeds it makes little or no difference to journey comfort. The way our roads are around Scotland's real capital, the more bounce the betterer.

Big Kev.

4 x 225 x 55r x 16 95V Pirelli P7 run flat Tyres that a mate had on his 5 series BMW, all four costing €150. They are on BMW rims but I could sell them on.

My 2002 Rav4 D4D NRG has the normal alloys with 235 x 65 x 16 Tyres, and even though I've checked with a tyre garage that they would fit, the 55 profile worries me, as in what it will do for the mpg, road noise, handling, level of comfort over rough Irish roads!

In my own mind I don't think they would be suitable but if any Rav owners have tried out or know a bit behind the science of Tyres would be grateful.

I would not fit ROF on any car not desisned for there fitment , the sidewalls are much stiffer on these tyres and will make alot of difference to the ride and handling , to be honist a lot of people are taking them of vehicles fitted with them from new and find the car is better without them the only thing with those is they have no spare

4 x 225 x 55r x 16 95V Pirelli P7 run flat Tyres that a mate had on his 5 series BMW, all four costing €150. They are on BMW rims but I could sell them on.

Stay well away from ROF your car was not designed to run on them it will make the vehicle drive and handle differently and you will notice the ride is much more harder.

4 x 225 x 55r x 16 95V Pirelli P7 run flat Tyres that a mate had on his 5 series BMW, all four costing ¤150. They are on BMW rims but I could sell them on.

I would not fit ROF on any car not desisned for there fitment , the sidewalls are much stiffer on these tyres and will make alot of difference to the ride and handling , to be honist a lot of people are taking them of vehicles fitted with them from new and find the car is better without them the only thing with those is they have no spare

4 x 225 x 55r x 16 95V Pirelli P7 run flat Tyres that a mate had on his 5 series BMW, all four costing ¤150. They are on BMW rims but I could sell them on.

Stay well away from ROF your car was not designed to run on them it will make the vehicle drive and handle differently and you will notice the ride is much more harder.

Could not agree further, Stephen......did not read that properly and missed the Runflat reference. Have only had the Toyota Runflats before, but from what I hear of these stiffened wall variants, at least they cure one's haemorrhoids......steer well clear, especially if not originally specified for the vehicle in question.

Big Kev

As far as i know there is a slight design difference in the actual rims between standard tyres and run-flats. So i would check the rim details to see if they are compatable first. I know a guy driving a 5 series BMW who failed his NCT because one of the tyres he got of someone was a standard tyre. He got ripped off twice by the guy how sold him it as a run flat. Anyway the NCT guy failed it because he said it was not designed for that rim!!!!

Thanks to all the above, I've decided not to buy them, the comment about the NCT failing gets me worried thd most, as over here in Ireland they will fail you on the least little thing (even incorrect tyre pressures) due to it being a private company doing all thd tests and every retest makes them more money! (except for a simple visual check).

Will just buy 2 correct Tyres to match the two I put on last year. Btw is it me or is the Rav4 very gentle on Tyres? We do 12k per year and i have only changed 4 tires on five years! Thought that was good for a 4wd.

Thanks all for your input.

Thanks to all the above, I've decided not to buy them, the comment about the NCT failing gets me worried thd most, as over here in Ireland they will fail you on the least little thing (even incorrect tyre pressures) due to it being a private company doing all thd tests and every retest makes them more money! (except for a simple visual check).

Will just buy 2 correct Tyres to match the two I put on last year. Btw is it me or is the Rav4 very gentle on Tyres? We do 12k per year and i have only changed 4 tires on five years! Thought that was good for a 4wd.

Thanks all for your input.

Way ta go, Wyn min.......

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links