Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2.2Ltr Glow Plugs On 57 Plate

matty2767

Hi guys

My avensis diesel needs a new set of glow plugs according to the code read. The garage wants £240 for the privilege, and from searching the Internet apparently it is quite an easy job to do yourself on the Toyota engine. I thought I would give it a go but carnt find any instructions on how to do it from google search. Maybe I'm not searching for the right term but I wondered if anyone old point me in the right direction please?

Thank you

Matt

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NGK-NTK-Diesel-D-Heater-Glow-Plug-TOYOTA-AURIS-2-2-D-4D-T180-06-10-97930-/360478264743?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53ee2dcda7

Its a dead easy job. Pull off the black engine cover and you'll be able to see the glow plugs with the power rails! Just undo that from the plugs and take the plugs out. Make sure you copper ease the threads of the new plugs so it easy to take them out the next time...

Hi mistermena thanks for the quick reply. I am going to have a look under the cover today. :)

Thanks for the link. Is it safe to assume this eBay seller is correct with the type of glow plug for this engine? There doesn't seem to be a part number in the instruction manual to check against.

Thanks

I can get at all the plugs except the one to the right, which will be blocked by the plastic "conduit" if I try and extract it. Which is a pain as I don't know what it is or how to move it. :(

image_zpsb0c6d2c9.jpg

If you mean the one on the left of the photo then just cut the cable ties with a stanley knife, move the conduit out of the way, perhaps holding it with a cable tie and then simply reposition it with new cable ties when you are done.

Hi Druid boy. Thanks for the reply. It is the rectangular shaped pipe on the right and at the bottom of the photo, in front of the yellow coloured caps, it is clipped at either end wihich I might be able to prise apart but I don't know what is inside it. It is pretty much fixed where it is. I carnt wobble it.

To be honest it isn't ideal but I was thinking just to change the 3 glw plugs and leave this one if I carnt move th pipe

Ah, got you. Well it looks like it will open up because of the clips on top of it. If you can open it you may find the fasteners/bolts holding it into position.

Druidboy you don't know if the glow plugs are the same for both the 150bhp and 180bhp do you? I have the 150 but all of the websites I can see quote for the 2.0 and then 2.2 180 DCAT

Thanks

Matt

Druidboy you don't know if the glow plugs are the same for both the 150bhp and 180bhp do you? I have the 150 but all of the websites I can see quote for the 2.0 and then 2.2 180 DCAT

Thanks

Matt

Put your reg number into eurocarparts site note the part number and recheck for a T180 OR contact Partsking on this forum. My gut feeling is they are the same but the injectors are different.

Pete.

Hi Pete this was a good idea. The parts came back as being the same. However, I also spoke with partsking and he said the part numbers were different but he didn't know what the plug differences would be. So now I am back to square 1 :(

You could try popping into your local dealer and requesting a printed quote for the parts - just tell them you want to consider whether you can afford them. That way you can check the part number on the quote with the part numbers on line. You can even grab a free coffee while they sort it out for you! And eat their biscuits!

• 2 weeks later...

I can get at all the plugs except the one to the right, which will be blocked by the plastic "conduit" if I try and extract it. Which is a pain as I don't know what it is or how to move it. :(

image_zpsb0c6d2c9.jpg

It's easy...I changed my plugs for 15minutes. To move the conduit, first unscrew the nut in front of you, release the small tongue (with small flat screw driver) inside the rectangular hole on the "bracket" on the left hand side on the picture (on the round part of the conduit) and pull it up.Make the same with other "bracket" which is on the right hand vertical side , near the knee (not in the picture).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links