Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4.2 Washers

yaris781

Hi guys. Not been on for a while need some advice. My washers have stopped working plenty of winter screen wash were fine earlier both front and rear not working. There is no noise when you try snd operate them. Anyone know if there is a fuse or do I need to replace the washer motors or bottles etc

Any advice would as always be appreciated

Ash

Just looked at the circuit diagram for my 2004 petrol and it looks like the washer pump is on the same fuse as the wiper, So if the wipers work the fuse to the pump is good.

My first guess is your pump could be frozen, its been very cold at night and its always possible that the concentration of washer fluid in your pump was not high enough. I would get some serious heat in there and if its still not working you need to get an electrical meter to the pump connections. (I usually siphon some water out of the bottle and then add hot water and leave for ten minutes. Try the pump, if it works use much stronger washer fluid.)

I am not sure if the pump is fully accessible from the engine bay without going outside and having a look . I cannot find any manual pages referring to its removal. If the pump looks impossible to access you will need to drop the bumper, there is a tech note at the top of the forum pinned detailing this. (real easy)

I have attached a couple of pictures I took the last time I dropped the bumper.

Front wiper.pdf

post-16780-0-33192800-1358490223_thumb.j

post-16780-0-04407800-1358490276_thumb.j

Thanks Ian

You are right seems the pump was frozen.

I filled the reservoir with hot water. Didn't work straight away so naturally thought need new pump

However after about half hour or so on way to work tried them again can now hear the pump. Confident they working now will get decent screen wash today the one I originally bought was from supermarket.

Thanks again

Ash

Hi gus

I ususlly get mine from tesco's however it is colder this year. Thanks forr your recommendation though drive past a lidls to work so will pick some up todsy

As always aby advice is greatly appreciated

Thanks Ash

Make sure you get the concentrated Lidl screenwash its good for -60C before dilution.

The bottle says its -20C for 50% and -10C for 33%

Used it for the last two winters at 50% and have had no problems

Thanks for your help

Ash

Yess I did thanks (well Mrs did)

It is getting colder here too will check and update tomorrow evening

Thanks again

Wee word of warning here.....if you suspect your washer bottle contents have indeed frozen, TRY AND ACCEPT THE FACT.....don't just continue to "rev" the wee pump motor in the hope it will clear......it will readily burn itself out, and if anybody would like to know the price of just the wee beastie I paid for to fit a Yaris last year.......in excess of 70gbp.

There are no pattern parts available I was fully assured FOR MOST CURRENT tOYOTA WASHER SYSTEMS.

Big Kev