Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Don’T Hesitate!

Nigebob Squarepants

Recently suffered the common problem with hesitating and sometimes limp mode when the engine was under load, usually uphill in 4th gear. Had the Fuel Filter changed and the problem SO FAR has gone away. Is this coincidence or is this the fix.?

I think from memory Ancorman suggested doing the fuel filter first.

And now that one's oot the way, Nigel, why not clean oot the Egr valve for good measure.......? Sure instructments are Pinned.....cracking dug btw.

Big Kev

.....cracking dug btw.

Big Kev

Yeah, that's one heck of a tongue he's got................

Not necesarily Rav related, but thought I'd share anyway - I had same problem on Thursday in my daily driver (Saab 9-3 TTID), generally it's been brilliant but I had limited power over 3000 revs, almost as if it was hitting the rev limiter. In the 2 years I've owned it I've had limp mode 3 times, first EGR cleaned in March '12, then replaced in Nov '12 and yesterday limp mode again, called out RAC who checked DTC and is was shoing P0404 - EGR valve circulation, so he removed & cleaned EGR and car is fine again now - absolutely crap design IMO. There is nothing worse than limp mode on the motorway - you have to pull over no option! Trouble is, I do a 90 mile round journey every day so you'd expect the EGR to be tip top, I even fill up religiously at Shell so I'm at a loss - I just think it's down to bad design.

Oh, and just for the record Forte Diesel Additive does absolutely nothing to stock the EGR valve clogging - after my first EGR clean, the garage adivsed I top up with Forte every 3-4 tank fills, which I did religiously untll the 2nd limp mode - what a waste of money.

I've ordered a new EGR just to keep in the car just in case the problem happens again so I can swap it out.

I'm also going to give the MAF a blast with electric cleaner and see if that makes any difference.

Curious about the fuel filter as well - might give that some consideration.

Recently suffered the common problem with hesitating and sometimes limp mode when the engine was under load, usually uphill in 4th gear. Had the Fuel Filter changed and the problem SO FAR has gone away. Is this coincidence or is this the fix.?

I think from memory Ancorman suggested doing the fuel filter first.

- fuel filter

- MAF sensor

- air in fuel system

- poor injection

Not sure if your asking me Don, but I'll answer anyway - sorry if going off topic but I'm sure you guys will be curious about EGR - my Saab 9-3 was purchased 2 years old with 34k on the clock, now has 76k. I live in North Wales and work in Manchester so the car has a decent run every day. The last EGR was caked in soot and needed carb cleaning to release the valve.

Not sure if your asking me Don, but I'll answer anyway - sorry if going off topic but I'm sure you guys will be curious about EGR - my Saab 9-3 was purchased 2 years old with 34k on the clock, now has 76k. I live in North Wales and work in Manchester so the car has a decent run every day. The last EGR was caked in soot and needed carb cleaning to release the valve.

I just wonder if they ran it on supermarket fuel before you got it and that is the source of your problem???

Oops - missed your response sorry Don!

Well, maybe I caused the problem....here's the history - I religiously fill at Shell always have done until EGR failed Feb last year. Then garage told me about garages not putting as many additives in to save money and their advice was fill up at supermarket and add forte. So, I started to fill up at Morrisons - then the problems started - smoking exhaust from cold, very dirty exhaust tips even though the car has dpf - I put this down to my remap. Then the EGR failed again and I read about morrisons bio fuel so started to go back to Shell, tbh I think it's just crap design - after all it's a Fiat engine. But dont get me wrong it's an amazing brilliant car when it's working !

I've ordered a second egr so will swap out the old one and see if that helps. Cant say I'm impressed thinking I'm going to have to clean my egr every few months....

Try a low ash oil with a C2 grade as well as decent fuel. It tends to be oil residue which combines with the fuel that exacerbates an EGR problem.

Hmmm interesting point Don - I'm currently using Mobile 0w 30 - any suggestions for a low ash alternative? Thanks...Mark.

My Saab Mechanic charges £99 all in for an oil change service with Mobile 0w30 which I think is a good deal. Any suggstions on other oil brands to try - you've got me curious now...

Cheers Don - Is there a difference in the ESP to normal 0w/30?

About £6 a litre for a start but the ESP indicates that it is a low ash C2 oil. This will help reduce the risk of carbon build up from oil that has made it to the upper cylinder. It therefor reduces the chance of EGR, cat and particulate filter problems.

They also do a 5W/30 ESP which is somewhat cheaper. eBay is a good source.

Thanks for all your help Don it makes intersting reading.

Looks like I stole OP thread (oops) but hey ho if it sorts my problem out. I'm going to look at an oil change in the coming weeks - if it fixes things then I've a lot to thank you for.

Cheers...Mark.

Might not fix it as such Mark but it should help prevent it happening again if you unblock everything.

Back to the original Thread! (How did we end up discussing oil)????

Trust me to open my mouth! I thought the new fuel filter had fixed the limp mode… but alas, it has reared its head again.

Guess I’ll have to work my way through the list of other suggested possible fixes.

Kingo mentions the fuel filter head has been modified and mine has made the usual howling noise now and again, especially

in the cold. Just before the car goes into limp mode you can just about hear and almost feel the car struggling to

accelerate up the hill.

Think a clean of the EGR is next.!!!!

What a bummer. :blushing: