Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why Stop Making Celicas?

2002CelicaGT

does anyone know why they stopped making celicas? i have an 02 and i know they stopped at 05 but why? i love my celica and i havnt really heard any significant problems with them as to why they may have stopped so im just curious on why they stopped?

Toyota went in a different direction for a while, but now that Mr. Toyoda is in charge, they're getting back on track ;) GT86 now, Supra next I think, hopefully a Celica (and GT-Four!!) after that.

As it currently stands GT-86 is Toyota's new Celica. In the pipe line we have a larger & more powerful Supra (likely to be a Hybrid using a reworked GS450 platform, so a 3.5v6 with electric motor assist and around 300bhp) & a smaller lighter & cheaper MR-2 based on a cutdown GT-86 platform

The GT86 is not the new celica!!! The GT86 is like the new GT2000 lol

The GT86 is not the new celica!!! The GT86 is like the new GT2000 lol

Exactly! GT86 is the spiritual successor to the AE86 not Celica! Akio - you know you want to!

I personally think (hope I'm not flaming here) they made a huge mistake in relation to power for the 86 model. correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that car fitted with a 2.0L, 4 cylinder engine? I would have expected Toyota to have something similar to that of a supra with a 3.0L, 6 cylinder engine. They also have the 86 equipped with slim tyres.. If I did have an 86, I'd wanna be able to drive it without the fear of skidding at 20km/h.. Of course I could be completely wrong here, and severely off topic from the "what happened to Celicas" question that prompted this thread.

But more on topic, I would suspect that a new Celica model is at least being thought about by now, they were a very successful model, which is shown in the sheer number of them you see driving around, or at least around my country they are xD

I personally think (hope I'm not flaming here) they made a huge mistake in relation to power for the 86 model. correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that car fitted with a 2.0L, 4 cylinder engine? I would have expected Toyota to have something similar to that of a supra with a 3.0L, 6 cylinder engine. They also have the 86 equipped with slim tyres.. If I did have an 86, I'd wanna be able to drive it without the fear of skidding at 20km/h.. Of course I could be completely wrong here, and severely off topic from the "what happened to Celicas" question that prompted this thread.

But more on topic, I would suspect that a new Celica model is at least being thought about by now, they were a very successful model, which is shown in the sheer number of them you see driving around, or at least around my country they are xD

No matter what it is called the GT-86 is the Celica replacement.

Toyota's aim was to improve driver involvement and add more fun to the driving experience with out pricing the car so far out of peoples pockets, having driven both the last gen Celica & GT-86 I can say that in my very humble opinion they have totally done so the GT-86 is a massive improvement in every way over the Celica Except boot and rear passender space.

In regards to a more powerful car there is a Supra in the pipe line and for those who want a smaller cheaper sports car a MR2 is also on the way

No matter what it is called the GT-86 is the Celica replacement.

Toyota's aim was to improve driver involvement and add more fun to the driving experience with out pricing the car so far out of peoples pockets, having driven both the last gen Celica & GT-86 I can say that in my very humble opinion they have totally done so the GT-86 is a massive improvement in every way over the Celica Except boot and rear passender space.

In regards to a more powerful car there is a Supra in the pipe line and for those who want a smaller cheaper sports car a MR2 is also on the way

I guess it would make more sense if what they did was to increase the 'fun' value without breaking the speed limit, I still reckon it's underpowered and coulda had more potential. But that's just my opinion. But also on the flipside, with the smaller engine I'd assume gas is much cheaper?

• 2 months later...

I am sure it will be back in some form over next 3 years or so. It was a very popular car so can't see Toyota wanting to miss these sales for long

• 4 weeks later...

I love my Celica, bought new 13 years ago and still looking good and turning heads. Had the Super ser coating put on when I bought it and the red paint looks as good as new. I have an old RAV for practical purposes but for FUN driving my celica wins hands down. :)

The main market for both the Celica and the MR2 - as with many sports cars - was the American market. In 2004 Toyota announced that the 2005 model year would be the last for the Celica and MR2 in the US due to falling sales. The Celica continued for another year after for the Japanese market.

Why would they resurrect a name which was dropped through falling sales??

• 3 weeks later...

Take a closer look at the gt86......cos all i see is a hyundai s coupe with a bmw back end....

I dont want a celica replacement anyway cos where i stay, mine is the only one and it turns heads when i drive locally....

I agree Razer. After 13 years my looks as good as new and yes.... still turns heads!!!! Still a dream to drive.

That should read 'my Celica'!!