Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dmf Now Smf In 1 1/2 Days

robpam

Hi just had my vibrating on pick up drive DMF changed to a SMF at a garage in Cardiff for £500 all in ,I saw the old dmf with about 2 inch of movement car has done 85800 miles it has been steadly getting worse so after a few search of different forums decided to take the plunge the car drives well so far ( no difference says the wife ) ,one question do you have to advise your insurance company ?? thanks I hope everyone is enjoying the snow.

Dont think the insurance would be in the slightest bit interested in the clutch........

Nope they won't care to my knowledge, you haven't modified the vehicle making it faster or more desirable to nick!

Mine got as far as 82000, the 80k range seems to be the usual for this to fail! Btw the DMF was fitted to reduce vibration when letting the clutch out and supposed to prolong the gearbox if towing a lot. I switched mine to SMF as well, due to cost and I only tow the caravan a few times a year for relatively short distances. As for clutch shudder it's there but hardly noticeable. Wonder how the gearbox will fair over the next five years though... Ha ha

Btw I bought my clutch & SMF from a motor factors in the uk via eBay for €300 delivered to me in Ireland, compared to €450 cheapest trade quote buying from Irish MF. It's not a job I fancied as I don't have a lift so I paid a Toyota mechanic I know €300 to fit it. Don't know how much if a job it is to do and I didn't want to find out either! I'm just waiting for someone on here to tell me it's easy lol.

Btw I bought my clutch & SMF from a motor factors in the uk via eBay for €300 delivered to me in Ireland, compared to €450 cheapest trade quote buying from Irish MF. It's not a job I fancied as I don't have a lift so I paid a Toyota mechanic I know €300 to fit it. Don't know how much if a job it is to do and I didn't want to find out either! I'm just waiting for someone on here to tell me it's easy lol.

Timing belt and water pump X10

Hi Rob, Wyn

Interesting to get some feedback on folk fitting SMFs to replace failed DMF. We don't often hear much "after the event", so presume no news is good news/problem solved.

As a matter of interest, whose SMF kit did you both fit?

Wyn . . . Difficulty of fitting? If you can fit a clutch, then removing and replacing the flywheel is not much extra work. On the RAV, though, the transfer box has to come off as well as the gearbox, so if hesitant, then it's best to entrust to a good mechanic. The job should really be done with the aid of a workshop vehicle ramp/lift, and the engine also needs supporting during the work.

Chris

Hey Chris, yeah I heard it was a bit of a job alright, and I only have a pit to work from, not ideal for dropping boxes! In the end I gave it to a Toyota lad I know he did it in his own workshop for €300, which wasn't too bad. As for changing clutches and flywheels I would be a handy enough mechanic to do it alright, but at the time the DMF failed I had a welding job in which earned me the €300 for a days work, so I just passed my jeep on handy enough! Was going to do the same with the timing belt and water pump but work has dried up since Dec so I had to do it myself!

As for the clutch kit and SMF can't recall now wasn't big name brand like LUK but the crowd I got it from we're selling 10 a week and knew their stuff when I talked to them so I figured their gear must be ok! It's going well anyhow and it tows the caravan fine and it's been in three years now!

Hey Chris, yeah I heard it was a bit of a job alright, and I only have a pit to work from, not ideal for dropping boxes! In the end I gave it to a Toyota lad I know he did it in his own workshop for €300, which wasn't too bad. As for changing clutches and flywheels I would be a handy enough mechanic to do it alright, but at the time the DMF failed I had a welding job in which earned me the €300 for a days work, so I just passed my jeep on handy enough! Was going to do the same with the timing belt and water pump but work has dried up since Dec so I had to do it myself!

I think I would have done exactly the same!

C.

As for the clutch kit and SMF can't recall now wasn't big name brand like LUK but the crowd I got it from we're selling 10 a week and knew their stuff when I talked to them so I figured their gear must be ok! It's going well anyhow and it tows the caravan fine and it's been in three years now!

If it tows a caravan with no problems, and three years later, it must be good.

Ten a week!! Could it have been a Blueprint (ADL-Blueprint) kit?

Chris