Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2005 2.2 D4D T3X Cold Start Problem

muddymanuk

Hi all, My above car has been struggling to start over the past week orso, yesterday I changed the Battery thinking this was the cause, this morning it started 1st time with ease, yet tonight after finishing work it took a good 10 attempts to start, I wait for the the pre-heat light to go out and a further 3-4 seconds before turning it over, the coolant levels are OK, however I can't vouch for the quantity and quality of the anti-freeze, It is in need of a service with oil, fuel and filters Etc. would this be your first port of call or should I be looking at something more sinister ?

Don't forget no ideas is a bad idea unless it f^*ks my car up !! lol

Cheers,

Nick.

Hello Nick,

I usually start mine as soon as the light goes out and I have found that NOT touching the gas pedal works best just let the engine do it's own thing for a few seconds before revving it up.

Obviously changing the fuel filter would be a good idea first then if the problem persists look at testing/changing the glow plugs but this will cost about £100 for parts. There have been lots of owners on here finding that the starter motor can be to blame for this fault also ... it may seem to crank over ok but changing the starter motor has cured it ... hopefully this won't be the problem in your case.

Regards Pete.

Um, before we rush off and change a whole bunch of stuff it would help to know a bit more. When you are trying to start it, does the starter motor spin nice and fast, as it would normally, or does it slow down as though the Battery is going flat?

Yes Druid boy, this was why I got the new Battery because I thought it was stuffed, it turns over but won't fire !

Nick.

Hmmm, well that's me stuffed then. If its spinning and you have fuel and compression it should fire up. Could be glow plugs. Worth getting a diagnosis before shelling out though.

And watch out for MisterMena trying to sell you BG44...lol

Hmmm, well that's me stuffed then. If its spinning and you have fuel and compression it should fire up. Could be glow plugs. Worth getting a diagnosis before shelling out though.

And watch out for MisterMena trying to sell you BG44...lol

Lol...Bu@@er the BG44 as thats for petrol cars! Better off with BG244 for oil burners! :doctor:

Check the glow plugs when you pull them out. Apply Battery voltage to it. Positive to the top, negative to the body of the plug. Check if it glows from the tip to the top in a few seconds. If it does then its OK. Should be bright red. But don't leave it too long they can burn out.

Working at a dealer i can honestly say Glow plug & starter motor failure an the later #AD engines is pretty rare, if the glow plug light comes on / off and the car is cranking then the most likely cause of the starting issue is a faulty Suction control valve. There is a technical service bulletin regarding this.

Issue:

Customer may complain about engine that is difficult (delayed) to start in cold condition but cranking speed is

normal.

Repair:

Improved design of the Suction Control Valve (SCV) to improve sliding performance and newly developed

software to increase target fuel pressure in cold condition.

Production change information:

Not applicable, first generation AD engine is not produced anymore

Repair method:

Carry out diagnostics as described in the TSB and replace SCV valve with modified part & re programme ECU as required.

One for your dealer, they need to check the target common rail pressure against the actual common rail pressure if the difference is too great then a new SCV will be required.

Devon

I had an issue with my 2004 d4d tspirit with starting.

Basically it took longer to start than normal. Sometimes Id take the key out and start again from the ignition. Few weeks later the vsc and abs warning light came on. Had the fault read and it came out as a fault with the glow plugs circuit board. Changed all 4 plugs and its been fine since.

The latest update is that now the weather has warmed up, the car starts fine, however the revs seem to pulse by about 100rpm ! Also since I put the new Battery on the fuel consumption is rediculously low at only 33mpg, I read on here that the ECU will remap itself when it learns how to, I've also read that I need to get it remapped ?? I confess to not knowing a deal about the ECU so please advise me. I've just looked on fleabay for a SCV and they're not cheap for a little switch are they ! is this something I can replace myself or is it a garage job ? and/or is the SCV servicable ?

Many thanks,

Nick.

Maybe is your glow plugs. Cold weather doesn't help much on any car when starting from cold. Coolant around the engine gets very cold as does the oil gets thicker at below 0 temps.

The latest update is that now the weather has warmed up, the car starts fine, however the revs seem to pulse by about 100rpm ! Also since I put the new battery on the fuel consumption is rediculously low at only 33mpg, I read on here that the ECU will remap itself when it learns how to, I've also read that I need to get it remapped ?? I confess to not knowing a deal about the ECU so please advise me. I've just looked on fleabay for a SCV and they're not cheap for a little switch are they ! is this something I can replace myself or is it a garage job ? and/or is the SCV servicable ?

Many thanks,

Nick.

Fitting a new Battery would be enough to clear the learnt values ( learnt values = your driving style ) so the car will now be re learning your driving habits this may be why the MPG has decreased.

When Toyota discover a fault they will obviously investigate the cause and determine a repair method, quiet often nowadays this may just be updated software for the engine control unit, if you haven't had any electrical or mechanical repairs with a Toyota dealer recently then there is most a likely an updated software version for your car. Getting the latest version installed can often fix issues as well as prevent future potential issues.

Looking on eBay none of the SCV valves I could find are the correct one for your Avensis, they where all for the older 2.0 cam belt type diesel engine and are two valves in a kit, your later tming chain engine has a single valve. The part number you require is 04226-26020.

Looking at the technical service bulletin Toyota only give 1.0 hour to replace the valve and re programme the engine ECU, fitting the valve yourself is not advised as a minimum software version is required in your ECU to prevent damage to the new modified SCV valve.

Devon

• 1 year later...

Hi all, My above car has been struggling to start over the past week orso, yesterday I changed the battery thinking this was the cause, this morning it started 1st time with ease, yet tonight after finishing work it took a good 10 attempts to start, I wait for the the pre-heat light to go out and a further 3-4 seconds before turning it over, the coolant levels are OK, however I can't vouch for the quantity and quality of the anti-freeze, It is in need of a service with oil, fuel and filters Etc. would this be your first port of call or should I be looking at something more sinister ?

Don't forget no ideas is a bad idea unless it f^*ks my car up !! lol

Cheers,

Nick.

did u get your car sorted?? Mine is giving similar trouble and I've changed the glow plugs,battery and starting motor. Its still giving trouble on cold mornings.

I didn't do anything with it as it's been fine since, I do believe though that waiting for the pre ignition light to go out and another second has helped, after I changed the Battery I had to build the memory back up over about 5 full tanks, just done a run to Cornwall and back on a full tank, that was 625 miles in total and £73, the screen said 63mpg but checking the actuall it was 54mpg, but still !Removed! good ?

Keep me posted in case mine goes again though.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links