Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My Diff's Started Whining

Kenny H

Got the beast back from Mr T after getting the engine sorted and the diff is now whining in a manner that is different to the slight whine it used to have.

Originally it would whine around 60mph on just catching the throttle to keep it moving, lift off or accelerate and it would disappear. Now it appears at most speeds, is not affected by gear or throttle position and is just whining away at most speeds. It does diminish but that might just be my ears getting used to it.

Anybody got any ideas? Could it be that the propshaft has been put back on in a different orientation from before the engine works? I'm going to change the oil and see if that helps but any help would be appreciated.

Kenny

Its usually more important that the prop is aligned along its length and the yokes are in the same plane.

Still got Duellers on?

It's got Pirelli Scorpions on but the change in type of whine was striking between going into garage and coming out?!!

Have you got a pair of the old wheels you can try on?

No got the run flats replaced on the standard wheels by Mr T, very efficiently I might add, with no damage to the tyre pressure sensors.

It's got Pirelli Scorpions on but the change in type of whine was striking between going into garage and coming out?!!

Have only in last few days been waxing absolutely UNLYRICAL aboot them Pirelli Scorpions, Kenny.......they are noisy bujjers.....could Mr.T have had them off and inadvertently rearranged them on re-fit.....? Suspect them with yer last breath mate.....ear defenders should be part of their purchase terms.

Big Kev

Kev

Thanks for that, I'm assuming they could have switched over the tyres but the garage phoned me up to tell me about the diff, the technician saying he was treating it as a mechanical failure and that they could replace it for a very reasonable £2795 :bangin: suffice to say I declined and took it home. So while I'm happy to investigate the tyres it does sound like the diff and that's why I was wondering about the alignment.

Get a diff off eBay or findapart and fit it yourself. You need the exhaust off but then it is a straight forward swap.

Don

It's an option but given Mr T's announcement that he'd never seen a RAV with a diff problem I'm pretty relaxed about it to be honest, unless someone came up with a 'press this button and the whine'll disappear' solution I knew that I'd need to live with it. It is baffling to me why it's changed, paranoia kicks in about what happened during its test runs but other than that it's whining, I'll live with it.

I've got the option of taking out an extended warranty according to Mr T and as long as I'm not turning up on the premises next week that's available if it gets significantly worse, so I'll check the tyres, change the oil and turn up the music......

Kenny

Nae Jimmy Shand but, Kenny......ah put on his greatest hits and the car developed a richt thumping noise......nailed wife's feet to the floor.....all thumping ceased.

Good luck min....hope it works out ok.....

Big Kev

Kenny

I haven't watched the rerason for why the engine was pulled out. The engine falls out the bottom once the suspension etc has been dropped... could the 2 front tyres and wheels been replaced the other way round? Are the tyres directional ?

Dunno about your diff but after 18 years and the last few shoving 300+bhp thru the number 1s diff, thats the last bit of transmission train I'd look at.

Kev

I nearly fell on ma droddum with the JS gag - respek - I'll give it a go but I'm not convinced. It would be by far the easiest fix....

Ian

Don and BK got there before you on the tyres but thanks anyway but I agree it's very rare for these things to go bang but I'll do what I can and keep spending money on the warranty a last resort.

Kenny

Just a stab in the dark here,and please say if this is not possible,I was wondering if somehow the pinion/flange nut torque setting had altered

Del

Derek

I cannot imagine a scenario where that would happen between going into Mr T and coming out again. There may be collapsible collars to put pre-load on which might go but others better qualified than me could comment. It's the speed and nature of the change which baffles.

Kenny

They will have had the prop shaft off but they shouldn't have been messing with the pinion flange. I would experiment with tyres.