Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dpf Failing After 160K...

Aurissimo

right this is were i beg for information...

got an engine light problem, that is caused by "efficiency of DPF below threshold" i.e it is clogged ... and no forced regenerations will clear it...

just been for the 160k service , same dealer since 10k,

MOT passed no problem,

Discs all done... brakes brand new...

other than the engine light on... car runs fine...

clutch replaced last service, 6th gear and third gear replaced also then...

but i guess at some point the engine management system will force the issue and go into "limp-home-mode" and loose power. solution? replace the DPF, which is a turbo out, echaust manifold out, subframe out job... etc...

Dealer says DPF = 1000 quid + 10hours or more labour... so at least 1700k on a car barely worth that now, with the mileage i have put to it...

SOOOOO.

1. any ideas were i can get a cheap DPF...

2. any ideas of capable mechanics willing to work at charitable rates...

3. has anyone bypasssed DPF signals...

I think my car is begging me to be put to rest... IT does not have my permission to die... YET...

Sorry if you've already done this, but have you tried any additive's like BG244 or Miller's to help clean the DPF out ? To be honest, I'm amazed the DPF has lasted this long as some have gone at 70k mls !

I haven't, i will give it a go... THANKS , never occurred to me...

I am now looking around, and found an fatremarket DPF for 380 quid instead of the 1000 quid the dealer is suggesting

I have been reading around, and it seems you cannot cheat the sensors and bypass it, so I think

Cleaning it, might solve the issue for a bit...

but Replacement is the only way...

As you say I cannot grumble really... 160k and passed the MOT!

but my driving is 80% motorway constant 2000rpm engine speed ( give or take... :driving::ph34r: ...) long journeys, so it gives the DPF a chance to heat up and flush stuff out better...

THANKS! will go and see if i can fetch some of this stuff...

I do! every day of the week, around 90 miles out of 120 , of commuting is done between 2000-2500 ...!

i will try this stuff...

Thanks!

Maybe drive it hard or let it rev high so the whole exhaust system gets red hot then it will clear it surely?

The dealer has already done this...

the plugged the diagnostics kit and made it run a "forced" regen, in the workshop, where apparently they thrash the !Removed! of the engine, get the DPF up to 1000 deg C... but after 2 attempts the error code still came through...

Apparently there is another method, but they need to drive it on a set pattern with the diagnostic kit connected, can take up to a day, trying to get each drive pattern ( apparently...) . and they needed clear roads and currently they can't , so in a week or so, they offered to do it if i wanted.

For now i am working out cost for replacement using 3rd party parts, and non toyota mechanics...

TOYOTA AURIS 2.2 02/07-05/07 DIESEL PARTICULATE FILTER DPF

Also I have poured a bottle of this into the tank...

$T2eC16hHJHQE9nzEzuN6BQBruEIN3Q~~60_35.JPG

I'll report in a week after i have put around 400 miles (if it will let me...) to see what effect it has had... ( I am not hopeful as I think I have well gone beyond the life of this DPF...but it is worth a try... ) :rolleyes:

Is it the P2002 error code? This was the code I got when my dealer told me my dpf was blocked.. Turned out to be a dpf sensor (differential pressure sensor) which was blocked, causing the dpf to block.

Hello Phil...

YES P2002! , they did talk about a bypass tube potentially being clogged and where the sensors are located, but then quoted 2k for dpf replacement...

As i say the car seems fine, accelerates as normal... so a sensor giving a wobbly signal could be all it is. ( i hope)

Now what happened with yours? DPF replacement? or just sensor replacement...?

They replaced the differential pressure sensor and all was well afterwards. I have an extended warranty and was told the diagnosis procedure for P2002 is a long process (Google the pdf diagnosis file for this fault... I've found it somewhere before)

It has been mentioned on this forum (avensis or rav4 I think) something about DIY unblockage of the potentially blocked tubes leading to this dpf sensor. Usage of compressed air if I recall...

The sensor is a small box with two tubes coming out of it just underneath the plastic (windscreen cowl?) by the drivers windscreen wiper, to the right of the brake fluid reservoir.

Access is tight to unclip the tubes, official service manual instructs to remove wipers and trim for access.

24 hour update after puring the Wynns stuff into the tank...

started it this morning, after coming home last night from the petrol station ( 3 miles) , NO error code, it seemed to have cleared, so i drove on dual carriage way for 30 miles and on the last 5 the warning light came on...

this is a new development, as previously it always stayed on, even after resetting the code...

Tomorrow is first commute (124 miles), i plan on keeping steady 70 all the way (traffic should be low ... :bored:)

I am hoping running a bit more of that stuff through the engine might unclog it a bit further and gradually eliminate the error code permanently, either that or wait for the complete shut down!...

Here it goes for the sake of experimentation! ( and hopefully saving a few bob' :unsure: )

It's definitely worth a try, but I suspect it may be back ....

64 miles into work, engine light on... but currently no problems, and accelerating well...

today i should get some 3rd party mechanics quoting on costs for DPF replacement. Though reading the information on the DPF bypass tube being re-designed as it waS RECOGNISED by Toyota as blocking easily, keeping it quiet, annoys me as I bet my DPF is not clogged just the bypass tube and sensor signal is wrong... ( considering the driving i do , it is optimal conditions for good regen-cycles, )

Anyhow, letter going in to Toyota to ask them to explain why a design fault on a sensor should cost me 2k to repair, when in theory there is functionally nothing wrong with the DPF... annoyed...

I can understand your grievance. DPF's are just an expensive workaround for diesels to make it through the emissions test & thus give lower road tax ratings. Great news for a new owner, not so great when the car's a few years old & starts developing problems.

funny thing the dealer serviced , did the MOT and passed with flying colours on emissions!

I guess all along with the engine light on... and trying to resolve this issue.

So not sure how they could do that... ( Car reports an engine and VSC fault, but we still pass the MOT as the car being roadworthy?)

not complaining , of course... :D

Declogging day 1

124 miles commuted today , with engine light on... commuting at normal speeds (70- :ph34r: ).

( by the way Winter Tyres.. are AWESOME!) fitted some Nexen Windguard all round...

anyway , no change at 62miles, parked for the day, and then completed the 124miles heading back home... in a bit i will disconnect the Battery for an hour... ( apparently this will reset the error code.) curious to see if the error code will come back tomorrow AM.

A mechanic quoted me 1056 for toyota dpf replacement part ( + labour i guess), so nearly same as Toyota Dealer.

Another quoted for £1240 for 3rd party DPF Fitted... and also after some discussion on my current suspicion the DPF might not be clogged, just this bypass pipe, he also offered to remove and clean up for 340 quid...

So potentially could be a bit cheaper... if this declogger does not do the trick... ^_^

Declogging day 2 ...

a further 124 miles run... error code still on, ( i did not reset last night...)

I have registered and paid for day access to Toyota-tech.eu and found all the technical bulletins, repair procedures and part numbers, I am now going to go through all this stuff, and see what it says...

i have read some information about the pressure differential sensor check, also about the fuel filter triggering this p2002 error code, countermeasure was a bigger fuel filter... anyway lots of stuff, including service kits for bypass tubes and differential sensor , so i am going to have a read and figure out where i think i am at...

One thing I am thinking about is that driving around with the error code, might disable the Regeneration process, hence the more I drive the more I could clog the DPF, so I will need to go to the dealer soon, and ask then to force a regen cycle with the diagnostic tool, until i figure out what to do next ( replace at toyota, replace at 3rd party, remove and clean, continue to add DPF cleaner to fuel... ) :crazy:

This evening I disconnected Battery for an hour and removed error code. Started it and idled it for 5 minutes... no error triggered.

We will see what happens tomorrow on the 3rd "de-clogging" commute... :driving:

As for contacting magazines, I will do that once I have covered all alternatives with Toyota, including UK headquarters. :thumbsup:

Declogging day 1

124 miles commuted today , with engine light on... commuting at normal speeds (70- :ph34r: ).

( by the way Winter Tyres.. are AWESOME!) fitted some Nexen Windguard all round...

anyway , no change at 62miles, parked for the day, and then completed the 124miles heading back home... in a bit i will disconnect the battery for an hour... ( apparently this will reset the error code.) curious to see if the error code will come back tomorrow AM.

A mechanic quoted me 1056 for toyota dpf replacement part ( + labour i guess), so nearly same as Toyota Dealer.

Another quoted for £1240 for 3rd party DPF Fitted... and also after some discussion on my current suspicion the DPF might not be clogged, just this bypass pipe, he also offered to remove and clean up for 340 quid...

So potentially could be a bit cheaper... if this declogger does not do the trick... ^_^

I'd be giving this stuff a try...http://www.powerenhancer.co.uk/product.php/586/archoil-ar6500-professional-dpf---cat-cleaner

how many miles has this P2002 code been on for? If the dpf was indeed blocked, never mind limp mode, then why is the car is still physically drivable and performing normally? If your mpg hasn't drastically dropped, then to me again that would mean that your dpf isn't continually being regenerated by the fifth injector either.

This leads me to ask, how much did you pay for your diagnostic from Toyota and what exactly did they do? Did they follow the full procedure to find the root cause of the problem? Or have they plugged in their computer, saw P2002, seen the diagnosis procedure (I assume you've seen it to and it looks rather complex) and based on previous experience, decided that a new DPF is required instead of spending hours taking bits off and testing them, in turn charging you £100's for the diagnosis?

Day 3 of the declogging test ( that's 124 milesx3 )

yesterday night i disconnected the Battery and error dissapeared.

This morning i drove "fault free" for around 56 miles on motorway speeds before it triggered. I got the feeling it was the " detecting a pressure differential for more that 10 seconds, because until that time it had been pretty constant low rpm cruising (1900rpm, 70ish)

I since drove back with engine light on... On drive back I though "s0d 1t" and drove it so that it kept 2500-3000 most of the way ( ie, driving it in 4th-5th) ... no problem, no driveability issue... not even any abonormal noise or anything to signal an issue ( apart from engine and vsc light on...

The dealer , plugged the diagnostics, detected the P2002 ran 2 forced regen cycles, and then told me it needed replacement.

No formal diagnostic, i guessed looked at the mileage and just guessed... <_<

I have gone to the Toyota-tech website and downloaded the technical service bulletins, and as you point out Phil, there is a whole diagnostics procedure, that goes from checking, ECU flashed to latest version ( calibration and 5th injector timing, to Fuel Filter replaced with improved version, through to replacement of differential pressure hoses (Blocked) (Service pack available!), to finally if all of the above are ok, then and only then ... it is DPF replacement.

It is not a difficult process but it is long winded and requires the intelligent tester tool...otherwise i could do myself.

It is a long diagnostics, but seeing the result of the last few drives, I think i will go armed with this information and confirm the easy bits ( have they reflashed my ecu to latest level , i believe it has been done...) and is the fuel filter they fitted the latest part number not the original ( actually i can check that on my last service invoice...! :bangin: ) ..., then i will book it in for diagnostics so long as price is not extortionate, and ask them to write down on my paper copy of the bulletin the results of each stage till they reach the root cause. I am still hopefull it could be blocked hoses or pipes... I cannot see how it can be the DPF as it drives like the rocket it always has been!!!

If it is the DPF I will make it clear they will not get the job ( I will give it to a 3rd party garage to do.) so there will be no benefit for them to diagnose a DPF failure. However it it is anything less then I will arrange the fix with them.

I will continue this test drive until the end of the week (just put a second tank (no additive on this one) of fuel after running the tank full with additive , so next tank I will add another lot of additive (Arcoil this time), and i will book it for diagnostics next week.