Do Not Sell My Personal Information

12V Battery Went

MLW2233

All the classic signs of a duff Battery.

4 1/2 years old Gen 2 (2008)

Sluggish start up over the last few days, and the dash signs 'doing odd things'.

Car left for 3 days in the cold and screen was not bright on start up.

Then all hell broke out as the alarm and imobiliser went off. Could not stop it by getting in on the mechanical key and putting the fob in the dash.

Eventually I put a Battery jump start pack on the fuse boxjump start up place. Eventually got it started and after a run to Europarts got one big fat Bosch S4 type 155 for £51.70p, They do a few types. This was the biggest and most expensive at 45 amps and 330 CCA. It has two vent holes at + and - outlets and a blanking cap is even provided on the positive terminal protective bit of plastic.

Giving it a little top up charge and I'll fit it tomorrow.

One tip. Europarts have a 20% discount of you 'click and collect' i.e. £51 via the web, but if you walk in and buy it unannounced at the counter it is £63. Crazy really. I think they want to go over to a fully collect via the web system. This applies to all their parts. You pay when you pick it up. The system works very well. They ring you to say it is ready and 30 mins later it's there. So easy and simple.

The Battery has a 4 year guarentee. What is the Toyota guarentee. I notice their battery is now £95, nearly double.

Hi has the Battery got 2 vent holes and no place to fit the vent pipe as it is not advisable to let the Battery vent to the inside of the car

As per this post it seems that there is an issue .... unless the design has changed.

4 1/2 years sounds about average for a Battery really. I've always changed mine at 4 years as I don't use the car daily and have no power outlet in the car park to trickle charge - having lived with a Battery on "borrowed time" many years ago when I was at uni, I'd rather change it a bit early and avoid the hassle :) Planning on doing the same with the Yaris hybrid.

UPDATE

Snow stopped and I finally changed batteries.

The Bosch S4 is exactly the same dimensions as the original factory one, and weights the same. Same small terminals etc. The only difference is the vent. The Battery comes with a plastic blanking plug for the negative end. The Toyota vent is too big as suggested, but it is easy to pair down with a Stanley knife and get a nice snug feel with a simple push in fit.

In the 'old days' VW beetles and MGBs had the batteries under the rear passengers seat, and nobody thought anything of it. These new maintainace free batteries give off little gas, and some of that is reabsorbed anyway.

It is also odd why these batteries last such a short time. In my last 2 cars a Mercedes and SAAB both had big batteries that lasted 10 years, and they had 2 litre plus engines to turn over. This Prius Battery must be the most unstressed Battery there is with no starter motor needed. It will interesing to see how long this Bosch battery lasts. It has a 4 year guarentee, but it should last much longer given its size. It is not small my any means and both original and the Bosch are equally heavy.

What is the Toyota replacement guarentee? Anyone know?

One last thought. I was told years ago by a mechcanic that batteries located inside the car, lasted much longer than those inside the engine bay. Something about being shielded from too much heat and too much cold over the year. Inside is 'cosier' and more Battery friendly.

That is why it is so odd it lasts so short a time.

Hi MLW2233 thanks for the information my 12v Battery is showing 10v when under load so am going to change it before it go's belly up, I am changing it for the Toyota Battery so there can be no arguement about the warrantee I would in your case make sure thet you have a good seal on the vent pipe just in case of gassing, it is strange on a mini I owned the Battery was in the boot and that had no vent and I have never heard of the back end exploding

The Bosch S4 is exactly the same dimensions as the original factory one, and weights the same. Same small terminals etc. The only difference is the vent. The battery comes with a plastic blanking plug for the negative end. The Toyota vent is too big as suggested, but it is easy to pair down with a Stanley knife and get a nice snug feel with a simple push in fit.

Is there any reason why you can't just leave the blanking plug in, or are you supposed to remove it and fit the vent tube ?

Do you mean 'leave it out'. Some venting is needed or the Battery may blow up, but modern batteries vent a small amount. I forgot about the MIni and the boot.

I think it may be USA legislation wanting to cover ever last safety issue. If you do buy the Bosch at Europarts, order it on line = 20% discount, then collect it.

I have had these Bosch batteries before. They are great.

My Bosch Battery has two vent ports and it was only supplied with the one vent port blanking plug.

I agree with Ian, they are designed to vent although I'm not sure if that is all the time or just under extreme conditions.

I agree, it does vent just like the original Toyota one.

The 'right' negative vent is sealed by the Bosch small plastic seal plug provided. The 'left' positive end has a vent hole which is now connected to the originial Toyota rubbertube and plastic vent pipe. The only difference is I slightly paired down the say 4 mm Toyota plastic pipe connector to a 2.5 mm connector by using a Stanley knife to obtain a nice snug fit.

What is the Toyota guarentee on thier replacement Battery?

Hi its not the guarentee on the 12 v Battery that worrys me it is the 5 year Hybrid guarentee thats in question will Toyota try to wriggle out of it as you have a non standard Battery fitted

<p>

Hi its not the guarentee on the 12 v battery that worrys me it is the 5 year Hybrid guarentee thats in question will Toyota try to wriggle out of it as you have a non standard battery fitted

They wriggled out of three years of Hybrid Warranty, so make up your own mind!

However, I think blaming anything on the Battery would be a hard one to make stick.

A good point, but I can't see even Toyota running that one. After all in the UK how many cars Ford VW Nissan etc have an original Battery after 7+ years, and what small claims court would uphold that claim. The EU has been trying to stop manufacturers specifying X and Y must be theirs. It is bad enough with various jack-plugs not being accessable to ordinary garages. Anyway, how could Toyota argue that Bosch is an inferior product. That is why the Toyota Battery guarentee is important, as I bet it is only 3 years, hence inferior to Bosch.

Just rang my Toyota dealer. A Gen 2 Prius Toyota 12v Battery has a 3 year, 60,000 mile guarentee in it.

Bosch = 4 years.

Maybe that is why the go at 4 years!

Sorry, I had no idea what the guarantee period for the Toyota Battery would be, and I never thought to ask as I'm unlikely to ever make use of a guarantee.

That is a fair point, but it might say something about quality of componants. A 4 year guarentee from an outside supplier says something about the 'genuine original quality' 3 year guarentee part.

Yes, it might be.

I'm not sure how much difference if any that would make to a low mileage owner such as myself?

But surely anyone would prefer a 4 year guarentee, if only to pass it on in a secondhand sale.

Nope. If the buyer wants a guarantee they should buy a new Battery

I've always traded-in my cars, and to be honest as the dealers have never valued my cars based on whether I've kept every receipt or not, I'd prefer not to give away my receipts with any personal information on them. Just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get me! :lol: