Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How's Your Aygo In The Snow?

Phil White

As the title says. I had to venture out to work in the snow and thought my Aygo did well and wondered what your impressions were of how the Aygo handles the wintry conditions.

Aygo, unfortunately is not very good in ice and snow, inspite of soft rubber winter tyres and skinny original wheels. It is too light and tends to skid. The ESP (or VSC) is too late and too tame to correct the skid (or correct understeer). It only manages to brake some wheels and cut off the power so that you actually stop with your car placed transversely on the road!. It does blink a lot of lights and peeps a lot while trying to correct the skid but does very little correction. Now I am comparing it to my BMW 320i (2009 year model) which detects and corrects the skid very fast and you just feel that there is an unseen helping hand guiding you out of that skid. And that too without any peeps or bleeps! What a difference between these two cars in the same patch of snowy road. We have had a lot of snow and ice on the road here in Sweden during the past two winters and I have had a lot of chance to experience the behaviour of our two cars. We never take the Aygo on the long high way journey during icy winter. It is used mainly in the city roads during winter. Come summer, it is another story!

No problem at all - the skinny tyres cut through the snow nicely and as long as you take it easy and smoothly and don't rely on the ABS.

No problems but the snow hasn't been that heavy on Merseyside. The car felt quite predictable and safe. The ABS cut in a briefly on a couple of occasions but that was on an insalted side road. I honestly believe that any serious problems people have has far more to do with their style of driving then any technical aspect of their car! If you drive like an idiot then expect to come unstuck irrespective of what tecnology your car has.

DSH

For serious use in the snow I prefer my wife's 12 plate Verso but for larking about it's great if you're in an empty car park...

Like any car really - push it and it'll slide, too much power and it'll spin the wheels.

As DSH says, it's more to do with how you drive, though a decent depth of chunky tread will help some on anything that's not solid ice.

Ours is a none VSC model and its much better than my ESP (unable to disable) equipped Mercedes. It was parked up from Sunday night and had 4 inches of snow all round it yesterday afternoon. Cleared the snow off the car and drove it out. No dramas.

You get good feedback on what the car is doing and due to its light weight the car never gets control of the driver as momentum can be controlled.

Once he had a good wash down he trolled off to the shops without complaint! - Hugo

post-114178-0-33685600-1358864547.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

i used my wifes aygo ice instead of my auris sr, it drives wicked in the snow and now even better with the winter tyres on, tried to lark around in it but it just grips with thos on, would recommend these to any1, she works in a high secure hospital in the middle of nowhere and the roads are always bad, i saw a land rover stuck in the snow a few weeks ago and had to laugh when i over took him lol.

ive now swapped to a yaris trend and will be getting some on that for the next winter season