Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ecu For 3sgte

6th gen axis

Hello everyone. I have a quick question to ask about the engine swap I am about to undergo. I plan to drop a 3sgte from a 95mr2 into a 95 celica. Will the ecu from an american spec 95 mr2 work with this aplication. My friend told me I needed an ecu from a jap spec 95mr2 in order for it to work? If not which ecu do I need in order for everything to work? Where can I find it?

please help,

James

If the engine you are planning to fit came out of a US car then the ECU from a US car will work. It just means that your base power will start lower than the Jap version. (you start at about 200hp the Jap engine will start at 240 hp (less emmision controls). If you need a Jap spec' ECU you may need to import one from Japan, or Europe. You could try eBay they occasionally pop up.

Thank you for the info. I was also concerned about the ecu not being compatable with a front wheel drive car. Will only front wheel drive make a huge differece in how well the car picks up? I would think so. Any suggestions?

Thank you,

James

P.S. it would be nice to hear from more than one person.(thank you Kelvin)

Me again

I know you want to hear from others but Ive noticed in the past that until you get an answer of some kind a lot of folk seem reluctant to join in, like no one wants to go first sort of thing.

Any way fitting the ECU from an MR2 into a front drive car is no problem, basically you've taken the motor and transmission and moved it forward a few feet to make it turn a different set of wheels. The only problem you will experience will be maintaining traction. At launch the weight is naturally transferred to the back of the car so with front drive cars what happens is the wheels can spin. With the MR2 and in fact any rear drive car that weight transfer makes the driving wheels tend to dig in maintaining traction. This is the main reason you should make sure you get a transmission with a limited slip differential. It will give you better traction with less of the dreaded torque steer. I'm sure that if you play around with the suspension settings (spring and shocker rates) you will improve the situation even more, after all lots of race cars here in Europe are high power front drive, they get off the line pretty quick.

hi, i don't no anything about swapin engines so i cant help there, but i thought it would be nice if i joined in and said hello, :thumbsup:

I'm swapping that same engine to a Tercel. Pictures of the progress can be seen by clicking here

P1010131.jpg

Hope you're going to change those wheels, tires wont last long :lol::lol: . Is the box section of ironwork near the wheelsomething you've had to fabricate to make it "fit"??

too right about tyres i got through a pair of pzero's in about 3000 miles.

on the ecu front you will need the ecu to match the engine ie same revision and type (US,Jap,UK). or bin the stock ecu and go fro an aftermarket (MoTec etc) that way you leave the path open for mods in the future.

i run motec and currently the car is pushing out around 360-370bhp and i can tell you traction is a problem. you will need quite a firm suspension set up at the rear and soft on the front. soft compound tyres help but you will need to balance wear rate with traction if its going to be a road car (tyres aint cheap).

good luck with the conversion and keep us posted on progress

lee

The frame mods were done for transmission clearance. I'll be running the MR2's wheels and a decent set of tires. Thanks for the comments!

dawesy, what transmission/axles are you using and how long have you been running that combo?

rev 2 mr2 turbo gearbox with mr2 turbo drive shafts, however the rev 2 box has a weak link, the third/forth syncro, i have gone through 2 boxes already no warning signs just seems like a missed shift exept when you try again you still have no gear, will be getting the box from an ST-205 celica and swapping the diff over for the mr2 oe soon these boxes are bullet proof aparently and have longer ratios. running the conversion for just over a year now without any major probs (exept 2 boxes but both failed at a drag meeting). if you can get a rev 3 mr2 turbo box all the better. also some mr2 turbo boxes have LSD's as std

if you look trough where the drive shafts go into the diff if you see a hole with a bar through= no LSD, a hole about 8-10mm its a plate or "torsion" LSD ,or a 15-18mm hole is a viscose LSD. i would recomend a viscose LSD as plate ones suffer from wear

what hubs are you running on front for the MR2 axles and did you need to shorten the axles?

I saw where somebody asked how much I paid for the engine package, I bought a semi-parted out MR2 and drove it on a flatbed tow truck for $2000.00usd.

I may be able to supply an ECU if you need one from a JDM MR2... we have them over here in New Zealand (used imports ex Japan).... pet me know if you get real stuck and ill get some prices for u.

AL

This guy has olso a 3S-GTE engine from a Celica Calos Sainsz in his Avensis and is stil not running he just had bought a ECU from Motec take a look here

http://www.svlreclame.nl/3sgte/3sgte.htm

Maybe you can use his Orginal ECU from the 3S-GTE Carlos Sainsz edition maybe he is willing to sell the ECU i can always ask if you want to ?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links