Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Timing Belt Broken

Fethiye

Hello folks

Can I first say that I'm not new to the toyota owners club but for some reason my log on details don't work so I've had to re-register - "Hey-Ho"

Anyway, I have a 1999 RAV4 gx auto and the timing belt has just broken (at less than 10 mph acording to the OH) - The previous owner says he had it changed last year (I'll deal with him later). I think the engine is a 3S-FE but I'm unsure whether it's a non-interference engine. Could anyone help by letting me know please so I can decide whether to sigh or cry :mellow:

Thanks all for any help

Never mind I've got a celica GT waiting on the drive :D

Checked it out Phil - says non-interference but have checked elsewhere and some say safe others say not - CONFUSED now!

Thanks Phil & Keith. A sigh rather than a cry then. Would it be a good idea to change the water pump at the same time?

Thanks again chaps

Dene

Thanks Phil & Keith. A sigh rather than a cry then. Would it be a good idea to change the water pump at the same time?

Thanks again chaps

Dene

Apparently good practice to replace water pump, matey.

Can I have a drive in your loco please Keith :thumbsup:

Not his, Dene......belongs to that famous Welsh luggage manufacturer, Casey Jones.....

Bugger . . . .thanks Don, as I said I've had so many conflicting views. Fingers crossed then. The AA chap says it was very strange that the engine still seemed to have compression. Will let you folks know soon once my mechanic has had a look.

Thanks again chaps

It's because Dene threw us off scent by saying it was a 3SFE which is indeed a safe engine and not 3FSE Engine undergoing winter maintenance at Grosmont ready for the new season.

Keith

Aye looking at that it seems it is, although there was documentation showing otherwise, mind you the words "maybe" don't help much. Remember this is from a manufacturer that can't inform buyers that the engine idles up when the heater controls are on hot, cos I've reread the handbook and for the life of me I can't see any mention of that.

Keith

Thanks Keith. I'll find out soon enough and let you know. Meantime the Celica GT is out for a blast.

Dene

My Celica cabrio is sorned for the winter, just as well really. Lol

keith

The Celica GT certainly isn't that grippy in the snow but !Removed! good fun

Dene

Well folks looks like it's done for the valves - Where's my best bet for a second hand or recon head (if indeed it's worth it)?

I have found a use for the broken timing belt but best not to elaborate too much on here. Suffice to say I slackened it off and the previous owner will be OK :hang:

Thanks Don, I'll check it out - mores to the point would it be worth it for a 1999 motor, all be it a very tidy one?

Is it a big Job to swap motors on the GX Auto. I've got a great mechanic who is easy to pay but would still need to weigh up the pro's and con's

Cheers

Yeah it's quite a big job especially on an auto. If you can find a head you can do just that but it might be prudent to take the old one off and see how the pistons faired during this "coming together". If they look OK you can try a head.

i have i 1998 gx manual, the belt snapped on me and i didnt know it was the the belt so i kept cranking the enging till i got the cover off and saw the belt. £10 pound later and a couple of hours with the spanners the rav was running again. so i hope this first hand experiance helps. i am very confident it will be fine if you just change the belt

trust me ;)

He hasn't yet Don. Mech. Says there's bound to be valves bent but (exhaust) but won't know extent of damage until he's took the head off.