Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4Wd In Snow Performed Great!

grasshopper

I live down a single track lane in North Wales - we have had constant snow for 2 days and the snow on the lane is a good 1ft deep. Today was the first time in driving the car down the lane since the snow started on Friday. Put the car in 4wd mode and it performed brilliantly, I have 'stones Dueler tyres all round (the rear 2 are brand new), so contrary to what anybody says about these tyres they performed amazing today. Are these tyres winter tyres or just A/T? it's just that I noticed they have M+S printed on them but the tread pattern doesnt look like a winter...

Is it normal to hear the tyres individually gaining traction in the snow as well? This is my first time in the snow in a 4wd so forgive my lack of knowledge.

Otherwise top drawer performance today!

The RAV has some surprising capabilities in the snow and in my opinion one of the best 4WD systems. If you consider a vehicle with a Haldex system like a CRV or a Subaru (on some models) they must have a front wheel spinning before the rear will engage. The RAV is primarily 4WD only reverting to 2WD when it considers conditions to be appropriate - it kind of works in the opposite way.

Your XT3 was the only model that didn't link the 4WD system to the VSC - it doesn't have the latter but you have seen that it is still very good and in difficult conditions might prove better. When linked to the VSC it is wonderful in a situation where the driver loses control in a skid. It can interfere a bit too much if stuck in the snow which is why you can lock the transmission and better still disable the TRC and VSC on later models.

It will make some strange noises when on a really snowy road. The traction control is forever cutting in so you will hear clunking and whirring. These are the pumps and actuators working normally.

Grasshopper...

There are several 'stone Duelers in the range. The Dueler 687's are H/T (half terrain), but IIRC there are also A/T (all terrain) and ? and urban version.

I've had 687's since new (quite difficult to find much else decent that fits the Toyota alloys), and even though they don't have a chunky tread pattern, their grip in wet, mud, snow and scree is pretty reassuring. They're also quiet at high speed on tarmac.

Chris

Thanks guys, I'm running the dueler 687 as well - seem to be much better than what the reviews state.

I had Dueler 687H/T's on our RAV4.1 and then on our 4.2. I had no problems with these tyres in the snow, I was quite surprised.

The 687's needed changing, I now have 4 Falken Landair T110's fitted. These tyres where cheaper. They have a tread pattern simular to the 687's, but the groves are a lot more wider and deeper. The tread pattern is more 'rugged' looking, in fact they do look great.

I've not had a chance yet to play in the snow to test them out, as my partner is hogging the RAV for her work, but her feedback is 'She's a dream to drive' !

I think I am correct in saying (coz Marsky taught me....) that tyres which are classified "M & S" are NOT necessarily winter and/or snow tyres. The only tyres classified as the latter are the one which have the wee mountain symbol wiff the snowflake therein.

I staun to be corrected.....

Big Kev

.....and the ones with the snowflake on the moutain must generate at least 10% more traction in snow than a standard tyre in order to wear the symbol.

.....and the ones with the snowflake on the moutain must generate at least 10% more traction in snow than a standard tyre in order to wear the symbol.

Yep, you're right Anchs, here is the Michelin tyre guide........http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/learn-share/tyre-basics/how-to-read-a-tyre-side-wall

whats the difference between m+s and all terrain tyres then please?

Grasshopper…JFYI… H/T means HIGHWAY TERRAIN not half terrain!

... and as I understand they are all more in the style of marketing slogans than formal specifications of a tyre's capability. However:

• M&S means they've got wide enough grooves in the tread pattern to handle the soft stuff like mud and snow and, by implication that they have some capability in the snow, they are not summer tyres.
  • All terrain means that they are by and large off-road tyres - so they may well be a bit noisy etc. for on-road use.
  • Highway terrain tyres are design as a compromise between on-road and off-road use so are generally appropriate to 'soft-roaders' such as the RAV.

By contrast, the mountain and snowflake logo is really supposed to mean / guarantee something - namely a cold weather tyre good for use at temperatures below 7 degrees C.