Do Not Sell My Personal Information

P34Rc3 - Auris Sr180 Build Thread

P34RC3

Hi all

Started to modify my Auris so thought id make a build thread to share with you all.

Bought the car in Dec and it looked like this...

IMG_0294_zpsf3d45b68.jpg

IMG_0295_zps9e0f9019.jpg

IMG_0294_zpsf3d45b68.jpg

IMG_0293_zps85f2c040.jpg

Since these pictures i have removed all badges apart from the toyota logos on the front and rear. Removed the black plastic strip along the top part of my bumper.

Replaced sidelights with xenon coloured SMD bulbs and changed the headligh bulbs to 6000k HIDs.

I have also modified the interior map lights so they come on when the doors are open. see the link below for more info

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=142980

Im planning on putting lights in the footwells too.

Upgraded my airfilter to a K&N panel filter and also modified the air intake to the airbox as you can see in the pics. This is however not complete as the way its been made it really restricts the system. Im going to cut out the triangle part in the fog light to aid air getting to the modified intake pipe.

standard pipe

IMG_0335_zps3b2257a8.jpg

Cut pipe

IMG_0336_zpsc53983a2.jpg

Two pics of it fitted back to the car

IMG_0337_zpsc3b8a1e9.jpg

IMG_0338_zps99290c6b.jpg

Cant tell yet if its any better due to bad weather but when it gets better i will report back. I have noticed the turbo has a louder whistle.

Will be looking at getting a tuning box and upgrading the suspension and maybe ARB's in the near future.

Nice beginning mate, will be waiting for the updates :) Did your intake modifications change the intake suction sounds?

It has changed slightly, like I said above you can really hear the turbo spooling. Weather is too bad to put my foot down. I imagine with a load on the engine and under hard acceleration it should sound deeper. With cut the plastic on the fog light that should really make a difference.

I did this same mod to the intake pipe about 4 months back. It's a ridiculous shape as standard because it's just sucking in hot air from the engine. I haven't made any holes in the front spoiler though, just a small hose going into the cooler area behind it. I had a bad experience with a previous car when I made a direct flow intake. All that happened then was rain went straight up the intake & flooded the air filter - the engine doesn't like that sort of thing so I won't repeat the same mistake !

Yeah the turbo is one thing, but the suction sound itself is a whole different story. You should hear it when you floor the pedal (even on 5th gear at such slow speed as 25 mph. It's not rev dependant.

At least you can hear that sound by opening the clips of your original airbox if you want to make a comparsion. That is the sound which presists with a cone filter.

I did this same mod to the intake pipe about 4 months back. It's a ridiculous shape as standard because it's just sucking in hot air from the engine. I haven't made any holes in the front spoiler though, just a small hose going into the cooler area behind it. I had a bad experience with a previous car when I made a direct flow intake. All that happened then was rain went straight up the intake & flooded the air filter - the engine doesn't like that sort of thing so I won't repeat the same mistake !

Yh my mate done the same thing on his car. Think its called hydrolocking or something. What im after doing is leaving the pipe as it is but allowing more air into it by cutting the plastic in the fog light. When i had the bumper off yesterday i noticed behind the fog light and where the intake pipe is, there is pretty much a airtight space which i believe cutting that fog light will make air rush into this area and up the pipe so no water should get sucked up. Atm there is just a few holes in the bottom of this air tight "ish" area. So in theory there should be alot more colder air. Ill let you know how it goes anyway. Has anyone done any decating on the 2.2? if so has it made alot of difference and how many cats are there?

Yeah the turbo is one thing, but the suction sound itself is a whole different story. You should hear it when you floor the pedal (even on 5th gear at such slow speed as 25 mph. It's not rev dependant.

At least you can hear that sound by opening the clips of your original airbox if you want to make a comparsion. That is the sound which presists with a cone filter.

Cones are good if u like noise. I didnt want to fork out on a £100 plus cone filter when it actually does less good than a upgraded panel filter. However if you did the mod im going to do and put a cone filter behind the fog light id imagine it would be alot better and loud as <I thought I could get past the swearing filter - what a sad muppet I am eh?>. But u will risk damage to the engine from water like uncle buck said.

Update...

I went to the cinema today with my gf and managed to open the car up as the roads are alot better. Well all I can say is do it lol. The car is so much more responsive and feels loads stronger on the turbo. Can't wait to sort the air feed entrance. Even my gf commented on how much more it was throwing her back in the seat. Lol!

• 2 weeks later...

Update...

The holes have now bin drilled into the fog light surround. Result is noticeable but not greatly. id imagine the intake temp is down alot so therefor allowing better combustion. I think it would of been more noticeable done on a car that has a tuning box on. Id still recommend doing it down to the fact the air intake system is completely stupid and majorly restrictive. Iv found a netting that can be used around induction kits that doesnt allow water particles through so maybe later on i will get my friend to make me a pipe and have the filter sit behind the fog light for summer :)

Pics...

IMG_0340_zpsd43c7559.jpg

IMG_0339_zps44b0f13c.jpg

I think that the size plays a role here too. If you made the hole similiar to the one for fog light, it would make more difference.

Maybe I should consider similiar setup aswell, because now my cone is in the engine bay. On the other hand, I am afraid of water...

Yh I could make them bigger but the idea of the holes was to stop leafs ect. You should look into the waterproof netting that goes over the cone filters if you are worried about water

After making bigger hole you could just cover it with some mesh grille to prevent the leafs from getting in. I will take a look at the filter covers, didn't even know that they exist. I was only aware of the heat shield...

I was going to mesh it but thought there can't be to much difference between them so just opted for the easier route of drilling. I think tuning box will be my next step tho.

• 3 weeks later...

Having a new tyre fit Friday. Went for uniroyals rain sport 2's and also ordered my lowering springs. Went for pi -30 front -40 rear. Anyone changed springs there selfs? Iv done alot of cars now but always find other ppls input helpful. Ill post pics when they have been put on. Should be next weekend.

Toy tech eu has an official manual on how to install the toyota lowering springs.

Where did you get the pi springs for the sr180? I'm finding lowering springs or coil overs very hard to source for the 2.2 180 due to the different suspension setup at the rear compared to the rest of the auris range.

On eBay. Yh I found it hard too. Was going to get spax but it was a 3 week turn over so didn't bother with them lol. Is this manual on the net?

Thanks for the link, looking forward to a review on how they are once fitted!

Yes, if you Google toyota tech eu, and then it's under the free user access, accessory installation manuals. Looks quite straight forward for anyone in the know and with the correct tools.

The manual does say to remove wipers and windscreen cowl but this isn't necessary.. There's enough room to reach the bolts as is.

Try Eibach Pro-kit springs - only lower the car a little from SR180 standard, but improve body roll control by a significant amount. See my pics for ride height .....

Try Eibach Pro-kit springs - only lower the car a little from SR180 standard, but improve body roll control by a significant amount. See my pics for ride height .....

Iv used Eibach kit before on my old astra and it was very good. Would of used them again but it doesnt have a big enough drop for my liking.

Iv bin spraying my front Toyota emblem over the past few days. Iv just put the final layer of lacquer on and im just letting it harden off properly before i take some really fine wet and dry to it and buff it off. Took a few pics of how its looking atm. Im going to do the rear Badge too but not decided weather to order a new one or use the existing one but put new sticky tape on it.

IMG_0349_zps1feeb47a.jpg

IMG_0350_zps7600ae69.jpg

Nice... Now you need to paint the Badge holder with your car's colour to set it off ;) Another idea is to paint the rear Badge into car's colour, just to be different!

It's on the car now. It was a pig to get back on the holder so I think it will stay the colour it is lol. Undecided with the rear atm. I'm away most of this week so nothing will get done to it lol. The weekend I should be putting my new springs on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so another update.

Iv replaced my springs with a new set of Pi lowering springs. These lower 30front 40rear. I must admit it doesnt look that low at all but ah well. My car already had a set of trd black in colour suspension springs. Can anyone tell me if these are the standard ones?

Anyway i had some issues when lowering my car and it was off the road a total of 3 days :(

First off i couldn't undo the nut on the anti roll bar drop link cuz the 6mm alan key rounded inside its hole. I then bashed in a 6.5mm alan key but same thing happened. Ended up taking a grinding disc to it. End result a ****** thread and nut on my drop link. So i order a new drop link and nut from toyota. Dam rip off that was but thats another story. second issue was that i couldnt undo the top nut on the damper to remove the spring. Quick call to my mate and he came down with a impact gun n bam came off so easy it was unreal lol! So i bult it all back up minus the drop links. My car then stayed like this until today when i got the drop link from toyota. Drop link installed no problems at all. Thought all was going well... until....

IMG_0355_zps0df55b53.jpg

IMG_0354_zps2c51ecc2.jpg

FAIL!!!!

I managed to do this in mid air on a jack with a ratchet. So i call toyota up and explain whats happened. The guy said bring it in and i said no chance. Im not driving it with a bolt missing and he agreed. He then passed me on to a technician. (this is toyota loughborogh, I really reccommend them) The technician asked whats happened so i go on to explain... He said no problem if got a few spare studded threads and we have a new nut. Just take the caliper and disc off then tap it out of its hole and screw the new one in. So another journey to toyota to pick the new bits up. Got back and removed the caliper and disc. Tapped out old stud and put in new one. Now all good :)

Ill let you know how i get on with the new springs.

lol that reminds me of how I'm modding the car usually I manage to brake more than get the new parts in :D Glad that everything's fine now!

Haven't geard of those springs before, please let us know how they feel when you get to test them and send some pics aswell. Interested to see how the 30/40 lowering looks...