Do Not Sell My Personal Information

When To Engage Diff Lock

whistlemad

Hi guys, i have a 1999 gx model which i got second hand without any handbook and my question is how to engage and disengage the centre diff lock. The button for this is on the dash, am i correct in saying that the car must be stationary to engage and disengage the diff lock ? Today was the first time i thought about switching it on. Thanks.

Hi Whistlemad

This question has already been answered, see a post headed

Central Button On Rav4.1 Dash.

Hope this helps.

I can't find that post - probably just me!

I would be interested in the answer for a Rav 4.3 .

I suppose it is in the handbook though.

David

You must only press it when the wheels are stationary and you must dis-engage it when you become unstuck. For instance, you get stuck in mud, engage the button, get out of the mud, stop and disengage. It must NOT be driven any distance locked up

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=141155&hl=%2Bcentre+%2Bbutton

Kingo :thumbsup:

Hi Whistlemad

Hope this helps.

David

For a 4.3 you can press it on the move but it will only work under 25 mph. There should be very few times when you need it as the car does it for you but if you were stuck in a snowy ditch you might improve your chances of getting out.

You must only press it when the wheels are stationary and you must dis-engage it when you become unstuck. For instance, you get stuck in mud, engage the button, get out of the mud, stop and disengage. It must NOT be driven any distance locked up

http://www.toyotaown...+centre +button

Kingo :thumbsup:

Many thanks

David

Hi Whistlemad

Hope this helps.

David

For a 4.3 you can press it on the move but it will only work under 25 mph. There should be very few times when you need it as the car does it for you but if you were stuck in a snowy ditch you might improve your chances of getting out.

Thanks - yes that makes sense - I have not needed to use it so far, the RAV has been faultless in the snow. There is quite a steep hill on the side road where I live and I thought I may need to lock the differentials if I got stuck but some kind person has thrown grit on the road and I have "sailed" up. Very impressed with the RAV's snow performance :thumbsup:

David