Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Costly Leak Caused My Possible Manufacturing Defect.

Sandy 1958

Hi,

I had a wet floor on the passenger side of my Toyota Yaris 55 plate. The garage had to strip the car down to find the cause; a pinpoint hole in the mastic seal in the engine compartment wing. they think it has been there since manfacture. The bill from the garage was over £1000. Has anyone else has a similar problem and do you have an address where I can write to toyota to complain?

I've had a look at the Yaris review on the Honest John website, and in the 'What's bad' section there is no mention of water leak issues in the first generation Yaris (1999-2005) - which I presume yours is. If the water leak has come via the engine compartment mastic, I'd have thought it would have manifested itself earlier in the car's life - your car is approx seven years old. Rather than being a manufacturing defect, I would have thought it was due to either the mastic ageing, or due to the mastic not being properly replaced due to accidental damage or similar. Have there been any accident damage repairs carried out within the vicinity of the leak?

The address for contacting Toyota GB is:

Toyota (GB) plc

PO Box 814

Portsmouth

PO6 9AY

United Kingdom

Although have a look at an earlier topic posted on 11th October 2010 - "Yaris Blue - Rear Passenger Side Footwell Water Logged"

Hi,

I had a wet floor on the passenger side of my Toyota Yaris 55 plate. The garage had to strip the car down to find the cause; a pinpoint hole in the mastic seal in the engine compartment wing. they think it has been there since manfacture. The bill from the garage was over £1000. Has anyone else has a similar problem and do you have an address where I can write to toyota to complain?

£1000 to find a water leak on a seven year old car! Strip it down to find a water leak! I have heard a few tales in my time but that just about takes the biscuit! The phrase 'Taking the Michael' comes to mind. If the hole had been there since new it would have been obvious long ago. Far more likely to be a dislodged heater drain hose, a well known cause of this problem. Or the drain hose has been frozen in the recent bad weather, not allowing water to drain, so it comes into the car.

Regards Geoff Peace.

Hi,

£1000 to find a water leak on a seven year old car! Strip it down to find a water leak! I have heard a few tales in my time but that just about takes the biscuit! The phrase 'Taking the Michael' comes to mind. If the hole had been there since new it would have been obvious long ago. Far more likely to be a dislodged heater drain hose, a well known cause of this problem. Or the drain hose has been frozen in the recent bad weather, not allowing water to drain, so it comes into the car.

Regards Geoff Peace.

+1

I am afraid it sounds like garage sees Sandy, thinks "woman" and proceeds to fleece her.

Sandy if I were you I would find some kind knowledgeable person to take a look at the work done on your car .. and advise you what was actually done and the time likely needed.

With a garage charging at £70 per hour (which is high) you are talking 13 hours. Which is about 11.5 hours too many.. and that's being kind..

Get your evidence and ask for a refund . is my advice..

I agree 100% with the above .... the garage is ripping you off!

Pete.

Is anyone else thinking this could be a 'wind up', forgive me if it's not but I find it a little hard to believe that a garage would expect anyone to pay over a thousand pounds to rectify a cabin leak let alone someone to actually part with that amount of cash for that kind of job.

Is anyone else thinking this could be a 'wind up', forgive me if it's not but I find it a little hard to believe that a garage would expect anyone to pay over a thousand pounds to rectify a cabin leak let alone someone to actually part with that amount of cash for that kind of job.

Good Point! I wonder!

Regards Geoff Peace.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links