Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looking To Get A Hybrid, Quick Question

MikeH_83

Hi all,

I'm currently considering changing from a fuel guzzling sports car to something slightly more economical, I currently get 21mpg with mixed town and dual carriageway driving so I think a hybrid might suit me well with all the stopping and starting.

Now I'm looking at either the New Auris or the gen 3 prius. I'm leaning towards the prius but I cannot decide if I should go for the 2010 version or the more expensive 2012 edition but with the navigation pack that gives the touch and go pro upgrade and the adaptive cruise control which sounds really nice.

Out of the 2, which would you say has the better navigation system between the old one or the touch and go.

Thanks

My quick answer would be to buy a TomTom and use the money saved to buy a years worth of fuel.

SatNav in the 2010 Prius is only available on the T spirit and is not easy to update (if there is an actual update). On the plus side, it does integrate with the HUD (heads up display).

Many threads on here about it.

2012 Prius Touch and Go SatNav is more easily updated, and the SatNav is an option across the range. But no HUD integration.

Example thread

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=141533

Ok thanks, Im thinking maybe If i get an earlier model then I can just switch out the old system for something abit better (theres a few options on ebay)

Am I right in thinking that after mid 2010 there was an option to have a safety pack which included adaptive cruise control? Ive been trying to find one with this option for ages but to no avail. Maybe the system is different to the us one because ive mainly been keeping an eye out on the extra button on the steering wheel that controls this?

Ok thanks, Im thinking maybe If i get an earlier model then I can just switch out the old system for something abit better (theres a few options on ebay)

It is possible to do this.

I have swapped out the standard head unit of my gen3 T3 for a factory-look touch screen unit.

If you go this route, it is worth looking over on prius chat for tips. There are a couple of gotcha's:-

For the gen3, the head unit comes in LHD and RHD flavours. 99.9% of the factory fit units on the web are LHD and don't fit our RHD prii properly. If you go for a standard double DIN unit, you will need the correct blanking plates and wiring harness(es).

FM reception in the 2010 gen3 is not good and might be worse with a different HU.

The 2012 gen3 has an extra aerial to combat the poor reception.

Am I right in thinking that after mid 2010 there was an option to have a safety pack which included adaptive cruise control?

Not sure when adaptive cruise control became available. Yes it was part of an option pack.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a new Yaris Hybrid t4 for 6 months, i was disapointed in the mpg.I only had it because of the quoted 80+mpg although i did not expect to get 80+i thought 70mpg would be possible.The best i did get was 58 in the summer, an winter no more than 50 this was on average journeys of about 30 miles.I have been retired for a few years now and i dont speed around and i dont wear heavy boots so i gave it every chance.I have traded it in for a Urban Cruiser diesel and i wish i had chose this one before i had the yaris.I know there are strong supporters of hybrids and we each make our own choice but this one is no for me. :no:

Then I don't believe you. Or you hadn't reset the trip computer.

There is no way you'll only get 50 mpg without driving like a mad man or unless there was something wrong with the car - I'm thinking low tyre pressures.

It just doesn't happen. I find it a job getting less than 50 mpg in the larger Prius.

I get 70+ mpg with ease with the Prius. I would even bet you a large amount of money that if you followed me along a 20 mile route, I'd have better mpg's.

Hi grumpy,tyre pressures were checked regularly and i dont have a steel clog boot on the throttle,and i do object to being called a liar, i speak as i find.I maybe a little over 21 but driving around at 30mph to stay on Battery power is not my thing.maybe a new user name for you would be Walter Mitty because you not in the real world.

This is why this forum is so friendly.

There is something wrong with the figures quoted by you. As all the Prius owners (those who live with them day to day) will confirm, anything less than 50 mpg is HARD to achieve and mpg's of 75+ mpg can be achieved with ease. I have posted many pictures to prove.

It's always a diesel fanboy who finds their way onto this forum to post a negative and unrealistic pop at hybrids. Your figures have something wrong with them but you don't mind, you know that and are here for mischief.

Am I right in thinking that after mid 2010 there was an option to have a safety pack which included adaptive cruise control?

Yes that is correct. I got one of these in 2011. Adaptive cruise control really does work well.

Hi grumpy,tyre pressures were checked regularly and i dont have a steel clog boot on the throttle,and i do object to being called a liar, i speak as i find.I maybe a little over 21 but driving around at 30mph to stay on battery power is not my thing.maybe a new user name for you would be Walter Mitty because you not in the real world.

And are happy to object to being called a liar, when all I did was say I didn't believe you but are then happy to post an insult at me? You have issues pal.

Our family runs two hybrids and as a rule we have found that the best fuel consumption figures are gained over journeys which are longer than 20 miles ( vehicle is properly warmed up) and whilst travelling on single carriageway roads at speeds of around 50mph ( which seem to average out at about 35mph). Fuel consumption drops dramatically on both our cars when average speed increases on dual carriageways or motorways, journey times are short or distances travelled are less than 20 miles or as Grumpy cabby says, theres something wrong with the car such as binding brakes, low tyre pressures etc. I have averaged 50mpg in the summer whilst travelling on the A1 with a slightly binding brake and slightly low tyre pressures ( due to topping up my tyre pressures on the forecourt with an gauge which doesnt read the same as mine)...... and yet with the same car, dawdling into work behind 40mph lorries on my regular 35 mile commute along a single carriageway A road in the middle of winter I have acheived 70mpg regularly. I have concluded that if i were to be stomping along the motorways and dual carriageways on a regular basis, perhaps a diesel is the best bet,however for the application I use a hybrid for, it is hard to beat with any other AUTOMATIC vehicle.

• Like 1

Maybe the system is different to the us one because ive mainly been keeping an eye out on the extra button on the steering wheel that controls this?

Here's a picture of the button on the right side of the steering wheel controls the radar range of the adaptive cruise control

post-64646-0-87142900-1360419035_thumb.j

Calm down madam its only a forum! i am surprised you dont go all the way and convert to wind power you seem to blow enough off.My comment on hybrids was how i found it, it was not intended to disrespect them we all have our own views and this is mine and i thought that this forum was for this.As for diesel cars this is the first one i have owned and i am not a diesel fanboy.If anyone in the future posts a comment that you disagree with dont be so quick to throw your dummy out of the pram we cant all agree.

Thanks for all your replys. Today I went to the dealership and had a test drive in both the Prius and the Auris. I have decided that in the end the new Auris hybrid is the better option for me so ive bought one :)

• Like 1

Thanks for all your replys. Today I went to the dealership and had a test drive in both the Prius and the Auris. I have decided that in the end the new Auris hybrid is the better option for me so ive bought one :)

Congratulations, I am tempted to look at the Auris the next time we change one of our cars, they seem to be jolly good value compared to the prius.

The forum is meant for open discussion without unpleasantness and name calling........there is no room on these forums for it

As the OP has posted his thanks for the replies and advised that he has opted for a hybrid Auris I have locked the thread to prevent any further unpleasantness