Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Picked Up The Rav4

Yelramp

Good morning All,

finally picked up my Rav4.2 on Sunday but didn't have very much time to have a play as the weather took a turn for the worse here that afternoon. Since then I've been using her for work and I have to say that I'm very pleased with how she's driving after having been used to the Audi TT (Buttock scraper - thanks Kev :D).

The higher seating position is great and I now don't have everyone's lights hitting me right in the eyes every night. I can actually see where I'm going, which is always a bonus! However, I have to remember not to throw it round corners like the TT.

I did notice though that yesterday evening when reversing into the driveway, one wheel sounded as though it was spinning on the snow. Should I be concerned about this or is it correct to say that although one wheel may have been spinning, power was still being directed to the other three, hence I didn't get stuck? (I'm presuming here that the permanent 4WD works in reverse).

I also wondered if anyone would like to recommend an engine oil to use? I've got a 2003 2.0L VVTi petrol.

My TT used Castrol Edge 5W30 fully synthetic and I've got a fair bit left of a 4 litre pack. Obviously if it's suitable, I'd like to use it up.

Many thanks.

Your Castrol Edge 5w30 is the correct classification of oil. but in future you needn't go to the expense of Fully Synthetic.....Semi Synth is perfectly aquedate. As for a wheel spinning....Giraffes Botty there, Phil....way above my head.....somebody will be along talking sense.

Bon chance avec votre nouvelle moatir, par la route (that's French for "by the way", btw.....)

Big Kev.

Enjoy the Rav4 Phil!

I did notice though that yesterday evening when reversing into the driveway, one wheel sounded as though it was spinning on the snow. Should I be concerned about this or is it correct to say that although one wheel may have been spinning, power was still being directed to the other three, hence I didn't get stuck? (I'm presuming here that the permanent 4WD works in reverse).

Hello and welcome, interesting point.

My drive is very steep and twice in the snow I've tried to reverse up and eventually the rear wheels started spinning. Dropped down to the bottom and drove up forwards, no problem. Mind you could just be the weight of the engine on the front wheels.

Also very impressed with the downhill assist thingy, once I had read how to use it properly!!

Assuming yours is a 4X4 and not one of the rarer 4X2s, you can still spin one wheel easy enough. Its just the diffs squabbling for traction.

Assuming yours is a 4X4 and not one of the rarer 4X2s, you can still spin one wheel easy enough. Its just the diffs squabbling for traction.

I certainly bought her as a permanent 4X4. Is there an obvious way for a novice like

me to tell if it actually is?

Ok, panic over. Toyota website has my registration number showing as GX 4X4 5DR 2.0 VVT-I Man

• 4 weeks later...

Your Castrol Edge 5w30 is the correct classification of oil. but in future you needn't go to the expense of Fully Synthetic.....Semi Synth is perfectly aquedate. As for a wheel spinning....Giraffes Botty there, Phil....way above my head.....somebody will be along talking sense.

Bon chance avec votre nouvelle moatir, par la route (that's French for "by the way", btw.....)

Big Kev.

Thanks Kev, does that mean It'll be ok to use the Castrol Edge 5W30 fully synthetic for topping

up in the meantime?

Phil.

Big Kev.

Thanks Kev, does that mean It'll be ok to use the Castrol Edge 5W30 fully synthetic for topping

up in the meantime?

Phil.

Och Aye Philipski.....carry on regardlessfully. Will look ye out address of eBay person selling the semi synth at a good price....perfectly adequate.

I've used halfraud 10-40 semi in the bikes for a good 10yrs with no problems, what's your opinion of using their 5-30 semi for use in the 2.2 engine ? also in the cars we've had I used magnitec, any feelings on this option? thanks.

Geordie