Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Towing @100K +

Nigebob Squarepants

Does anyone tow a caravan on a mileage of 100+ with 4.2 diesel engine.

Anything I should be wary of?

Mine has had a new timing belt, dual mass flywheel and water pump at approx. 60k.

Hi Nigel,

I've towed heavy caravans often, but not with our RAV (4.2 D4D) - just well-laden trailers!

Good you've done DMF (and presumably clutch) - hopefully a permanent repair - and w/pump.

At your sort of mileage, and if you haven't towed before, and are going to be doing some serious journeys, then I'd check...

- Drain, flush and replace coolant: clean system out with a flushing agent. Renew with good quality coolant, diluted (if necessary) with distilled water (NOT tapwater). Use one mix only; don't mix brands or types; keep some spare.

- Check that air filter is clean or recent.

- Tyre pressure (rear) may need increasing to cater for increased rear-end load. Slightly harder rear tyres (even just by 2-3psi) gives additional lateral rear-end stability, but don't overdo it.

- If any of your rear-end suspension bushes are getting a bit squidgy, then towing will show these up. Check (normal driving, not towing) by gently swinging the steering from left to right while at c.30mph (on a clear road!) to make sure the rear end does not flail about, or feel uncontrolled. (It will if rear tyres are soft.)

- Run on good quality diesel fuel, not supermarket stuff.

- Check all fluid and oil levels, and brake pad condition.

- Stick to the max towed weight ruling: The loaded van should not exceed 85% of the weight of the vehicle towing. Keep caravan heavy contents on the floor, and over the caravan axle.

- Do not exceed the specified noseweight on the RAV's towbar (see owner's handbook; typ.75-100kg). Avoid very light noseweight (less than 40kg), as this causes instability. Check noseweight with bathroom scales under the tow-hitch!

- If using a single-axle caravan, it's worth investing in some reinforced (5-ply) tyres. The strain put on a van's tyres exceeds that on most cars. Avon do some good reinforced rubbers, at not much more than normal tyres.

- When parking up with a van, don't rely solely on the car handbrake (even though the 4.2's handbrake is good). Apply brake on the van, and chock its wheels.

Hope useful. Have fun!

Chris

Hi Nigel

Not that I can give you any technical info like Chris, however, just to let you know that I previously towed a caravan with an 04 Rav which had 80k on the clock without problems. Now using the T180 when the weather picks up again.

Cheers

Jeff

Thanks Chris & Jeff… good info. Not taken the plunge yet for the caravan, but if the car is still in good nick when I am in the market

I will be towing, so thanks.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links