Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which Fuel Type Do You Use

Mtalhead72

Since I brought my 2008 Rav4 D2D XT-R Rav, I've only filled it up with Shell V Power stuff. This got me thinking as to what everybody else uses. So, what do you fill you rav up with ?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• anchorman

• grasshopper

• sailor50

• bigend

I only use high grade fuel like V-Power, BP ultimate or Total Excellium. Depends where I am passing.

Morrisons or Shell regular. No problems with old fiat jtd over last 170,000 miles,had from new, never had to clean egr still doing 70 mpg on runs.

Keith

Manx Petroleum or Ellan Vannin Fuel, both same price £1.47 ltr for Diesel. Bet you can,t get those in the Uk!!!!!!!

Not pulling your leg either.

Regards Clare

Note- MP took over from Shell Uk and EV took over from Total Uk

Always Shell (now) but only the regular stuff.

Not noticed any improvements, but hopefully I'm looking after the engine by using it?!

Dave

Shell always but I think the vpower is overkill for the diesel tbh and it's expensive for what you gain as well, I can vouch for my other car as I tried VPower diesel for a couple of months no difference at all. But... VPower petrol is in a different league for performance cars. I ran a 350z a few years ago and switched from vpower to standard Shell for a couple of months - and boy I could tell the difference in power....ah those were the days when it used to cost me £60 to fill up a 75 litre tank with VPower as well. I've also noticed not all Shell garages sell VPower diesel - they dont in Mold North Wales but they do in Manchester. I also tried BP Ultimate diesel but it reduced my MPG so gave it a wide berth...

I was also advised not to use Morrisons BIO-Diesel because of the problems the added bio fuel can cause - any comments on this?

It depends what you want from high grade diesel grasshopper. The main benefit in a RAV is that it keeps the internals of the engine, EGR and particulate filter clean. That alone makes it worthwhile.

What's your thoughts on Forte Diesel Additive then Don? I went down this route instead of VPower diesel and used Standard Shell Diesel and 1 bottle of Forte every 3 tank fulls - I still got a clogged EGR.

(Sorry for going off topic maybe I should PM you - it's just you talk a lot of sense)

Nearly always buy standard unleaded. Tried Shell for a while as that was close to my work but can't do weekly shop in there and better points system at Tesco too. Never saw any mileage difference with Shell. Tried a full tank of Tesco's Momentum99 once too when I had a voucher to try for same price as regular unleaded but again saw no difference. Do you have to continually use it to see a difference or should it be noticeable during that whole tank load?

Forte stuff is good trade gear! But its way down the list on additives compaired to the likes of BG244 and Archoil porducts...

Waitrose in Barry here are now selling Shell (Use to be Esso) V-power fuels (As well as the normal fuels) and if you spend £50 you get a 5p off a litre voucher...

I filled my tank with Morrison's diesel a couple of weeks ago. On the way home there was a load of smoke coming out of the exhaust, it was intermittent but nonetheless a bit worrying. I used three quarters of the tank and filled it with Shell. The smoking is happening less often, but it is still smoking from time to time. Hopefully it has not done any damage, but I will be putting good quality diesel in from now on. I only filled with Morissons because my usual garage was closed while they filled the tanks. Anyone had this?

What's your thoughts on Forte Diesel Additive then Don? I went down this route instead of VPower diesel and used Standard Shell Diesel and 1 bottle of Forte every 3 tank fulls - I still got a clogged EGR.

(Sorry for going off topic maybe I should PM you - it's just you talk a lot of sense)

I don't know enough about it but it sounds like it doesn't work! I've never been a lover of additives for fuel or oil as I reckon good quality products have all the additives they need. However, following recommendations from this site I did try a tin of BG244 in a vehicle I didn't own from new and so didn't know what it had been run on. I can say that subjectively, it did seem to run better while it was in but never actually stripped anything to see how it compared before and after. I have experimented with supermarket and high grade diesel. The supermarket diesel produced an EGR full of hard carbon that needed chipping away while high grade diesel had only soft soot that you could wipe away with a finger.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I sit round at my mates house on a Friday night and put the world right with 2 tins of beer and maybe a little noggin of nice stuff that Big Kev provided. Not much sense talked after about the first half tin but it makes us happy.

V power . . . . but only to get Drivers Points and Avios Miles. Used to use BP Ultimate but it made no tangible difference.

My two penneth on Morrisons FYI - I started filling up with Morrisons Diesel as it was convenient on the way to work, then I started to notice my exhaust tips on my Saab were getting filthy - previous you could eat your dinner off them but after a few months of Morrisons bio diesel it changed everything - I now get black smoke on startup until I drive off, not sure if this and a combination of using forte caused my sooting exhaust and too frequent egr clogging but one thing is for sure a combination of morrisons diesel & forte did no good to my engine - I'm now back to Shell for life. The stupid thing is though the car runs like a dream and I've never had a DPF full message.

Please excuse my ignorance, I've only had my T180 since November, but if the EGR valve needs cleaning do you get a message on the computer? My last vehicle was a Navara and after it billowing thick black smoke and going very slowly, my husband blanked off the EGR valve. The difference was amazing, it went much better after. Any comments on blanking, or not, the EGR valve on the RAV4? Thanks

Just been reading about the Total excellium - think I'm going to switch and see if that helps.

Sailor, your car will run very well with the EGR blanked off.

You would get the orange warning light and the car will probably go in to limp (very low power) mode.

1 NEVER supermarket/cheap diesel.

2 Always high-quality standard grade (not 'super'), usually from Repsol (similar to Esso - decent additives), with a 1:200 addition of mineral 2T oil. Good economy, good starting, better low-down torque, and (so far, after 150k km) no fuel train problems. Gets a dose of Wynn's diesel-clean a few tankfuls a year.

3 Citroen XM 2.5TD (indirect Bosch injection) uses same fuel, but seems happier of full-time Wynn's. But this is altogether a more refined and torquier engine, of course.

Chris

Sailor, your car will run very well with the EGR blanked off.

You would get the orange warning light and the car will probably go in to limp (very low power) mode.

Anchorman: Thanks, I thought it would be the same. I've been told the EGR valve is a waste of space.

Is it recommended for the RAV4?