Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which Fuel Type Do You Use

Mtalhead72

Clean the Egr valve then blank it off, so long as valve works ok won't get warnings or limp mode.

Keith

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• anchorman

• grasshopper

• sailor50

• bigend

Surely you cant just blank it off - it'll cause other problems such as emissions / smoking / running hot? The ECU talks to the EGR so it'll get confused if it's not measuring the gas flow...

No, ecu reads the operation of valve, most cases of light on is because valve is sticking due to build up of carbon so voltage parameters are wrong.

Keith

The owner's manual says that we have to use only low sulphur diesel.So i think is mandatory to use v-power or something relative.

Thanks everyone. My RAV is not having major problems, it seems a little sluggish and some smoke from time to time, due to Morrison fuel, I'm pretty sure, as it didn't happen before I put it in. Never again!

With regards to blanking off EGR, my Navara was MUCH better for it, no problems and much more "oomph".

I have decided to put BG244 in and see if that makes a difference, it's supposed to clear it all out. If that doesn't do the job, when it gets warmer I will be getting husband or son to clean and then block off EGR valve.

You can be sure from now on I will be using v-power or similar!

Hello Sailor!

Morrisons is the death of your diesel engine - it made my Saab Smoky & Stinkie on startup - I've switched back to Shell but the symptoms are still there....

Hello Sailor!

Morrisons is the death of your diesel engine - it made my Saab Smoky & Stinkie on startup - I've switched back to Shell but the symptoms are still there....

So the 170,000 miles that I've done means nothing. You should not make wild statements like that. The very fact you still have problems points to something else.

Keith

Hey Sailor!

If you are going to block the EGR please keep us posted.

I have cleaned mine twice,last time 4days ago.

Regards

Mikis

Hello Sailor!

So the 170,000 miles that I've done means nothing. You should not make wild statements like that. The very fact you still have problems points to something else.

Keith

I think he is suggesting that using supermarket weasel pee caused his problems...........

Hello Don,

Do you think?!?!

Well this topic has certainly stirred up some strong feelings!

I used any old cheap fuel with my Passat TDI and it just ate up the road. I sold the car with 175k miles and the engine was strong as the day I bought it.

Some engines can tolerate inferior fuel, others can't.

I agree with you. It seems the RAV4 is not one of them, but I will put decent fuel in it because it's a fabulous car and I plan on keeping it for at least a couple of years. It's kept me on the road in all the snow both in Hampshire and in South Wales, where we spend some of our time.

:driving:

The older the better. New engines are less tolerant (or at least all the junk that is fastened to them are).

Sailor - we love each other to bits really.

Mainly Shell regular, tried V power no noticeable difference , unlike when i use V power in my VW Bora many more MPG and better performance ...

Intersting feedback that some folk do rather better with different vehicles.

Hello Sailor!

Keith

Good on you - keep munching the bio fuel. Doesnt work well in my daiy driver....

Regular supermarket diesel for me and no sign of any problems to date. Nothing but the best - Tesco's of course! :)

I have put the odd tank of premium diesel in and would admit that the car may have 'felt' a bit smoother though I've never done a long enough test to determine whether I got better fuel economy running on premium fuel - it didn't seem significantly better based on one tank of premium in between two tanks of regular.

Speaking of which, do folk really believe that there is any difference between regular diesel bought at a supermarket (possibly excluding Morrison's!) and regular diesel bought at a branded retailer. I can well understand that the additives put into premium fuels [might] make a difference but regular fuel produced to the appropriate standard is just that ... surely?

A lot of this has been aired before . . . and will be again and again.

IMO, there are three sorts of diesel fuel available to us:

1. 'Cheap' (?) supermarket stuff. Tends to lack the additives that give low-down torque, quiet running, a clean exhaust, and a clean fuel system. The additives contribute extra cost to the fuel producers.

2. Standard grade diesel from the reputable suppliers. Additives probably present, but in limited quantities. Older engines will run quite happily on this,

3. Super-grade diesel from the reputable suppliers. Additives present in useful quantities. Many users report smoother running, more torque/power (cetane improvers), fewer fuel system issues (cleaning action), cleaner running. Some users cannot detect a difference. Some engines produce no advantage.

Note that 2 can be converted to 3 by the simple addition of easily available diesel fuel additives such as Wynn's Diesel Fuel Treatment, Miller's Diesel Power Plus, etc. These typically contain cetane and combustion improvers, a system cleaner, and a system lubricant, similar to all that claimed by the Super-grade diesel brands.

2 + DIY additive is usually cheaper than 3, but not always, and many can't be bothered.

So there.

Chris

Hi all, I ride a 2004 D4D RAV and I used Esso Regular Diesel. In the years I had 2 faults on the SVC Valves. These Valves are quite expensive. First time in warranty. Second time 385 €. These valves don't like the bio diesel that is mixed with the diesel. So I used with succes Forté Diesel Conditioner. Now I only use Shell V Power to keep the engine as clean as possible at all times. The SVC Valve problems are well known. There is even a video on you tube how to replace them. AND there are cheaper ones to be found packed in the same box but with no Toyota stamp on it.

Used to use Tesco every week until late 2010,when i had my SCV's replaced,then EGR' cleaned & VSV cleaned,Have cleaned my MAF sensor twice in last year ( last time a few weeks ago ).

Since early 2011 i have used Esso every week,and occasionally with Shell V power,or BP Ultimate...when im passing.

Doesnt seem to make any diference to the hesitation issue's ive had ,and still having.....to this day. :dontgetit: I just live with it.

Rav4 now covered 118'000 miles

Nothing but V-Power diesel for the RAV.

Grasshopper - SVPD can be found on the A55 at Northop heading in to North Wales (they only have 1 pump with the good stuff) and also at the new Shell station the other side of the road heading in to that England place :gun_bandana: they have 4 pumps of SVPD.

And nothing but SVP for my monster, in the odd time that I have tried standard fuel it never ran the same and now the way it has been fettled & set up it needs high octane fuel with SVP being my preferred choice over BP ultima, tesco 99, etc.