Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Excessive Revs Creeping In Traffic

toyotapob

Hi again everyone, 2010 verso 1.6 TR

When crawling in traffic in 1st gear the engine appears to have a life of its own, although I only apply just enough revs to move forward, when I dip the clutch and take my foot off the accelerator the engine revs rise on their own by 400-500 momentarily then fall to 1100 then idle.

Is this normal, or a sticky accelerator?

Many thanks

Mine does something similar if I let the car idle too low and then depress the clutch, although the jump is more like 100-200rpm than 500!

May be the EGR or idle regulator is sticky?

Does a petrol car have an egr valve?

I will have Toyota look it over when I have the parking sensors fitted.

Thanks for your advice

I've been told some newer petrols do, but TBH I don't know for sure...

(I don't understand why a petrol engine would need it anyway; The sole purpose of an EGR is to lower combustion temps to stop NOx's forming. NOx production is high on diesels because they have very high combustion temps, but petrol already has a very low combustion temp so all an EGR would do is lower MPG and increase particulates!)

Now then a bit of an update on this issue,

Getting used to this car now and have noticed that if I bring the clutch up to biting point and apply hardly any revs, then dip the clutch at the same time coming off the accelerator the revs barely rise, however I noticed that should I bring the clutch to biting point and balance the revs but then press the accelerator further down momentarily as to move the car forwards (revs of car do not rise significantly) and then clutch down as well as foot off the accelerator on to the brake the revs will rise on their own by up to 600rpm before settling down to idle, the car appears to be remembering where the accelerator pedal was depressed to before registering idle position (a bit worrying really).

This sort of stop start driving I appreciate is not good for the clutch but we live in a hilly city with typical congestion and this over revving is going to eventually annoy my wife (who drives the car the most) to the point the car will be got rid of.

Any ideas out there, will speak to my local Toyota dealer on Saturday.

Annoying really as the rest of the car is perfect!

do you have the air con switched on as i find with mine t180 the idle goes to about 1100 revs when the air con is on and then drop back to normal the back up again as i think the aircon doesnt work that well on slow idle hence picking up the idle to make it work full, dont know if this is the same on others but i have climate

• 2 months later...

Oh dear it looks like this annoying over revving feature is designed by Toyota.

Not good as on recent test drives no ford or Peugeot or to be honest any other car manufacturer does this over revving.

It has now got to crisis point as this feature is so annoying the wife is refusing to drive the car.

As a last ditch attempt does anyone know if there is a sensor switch on the clutch to sense when the clutch is starting to be depressed, not the switch that senses when the clutch is fully depressed when you start the car.

If there is such a switch what happens if I relocate it so it never senses the movement of the pedal.

Otherwise the car will shortly be got rid of, sad really as it is perfect in every other way.

• 6 months later...

Hhi everyone'

We still have the verso but I need a bit of feedback from other 1.6 vmatic drivers.

When moving forward uphill in traffic if the car is revved the clutch brought up to move the car forward but before the clutch is fully released I take my foot off the accelerator and dip the clutch the revs will rise from 2100 rpm to around 3200 rpm and then drop to idle. It won't do it if the car exceeds a certain speed (10mph)

Any ideas, feels very dangerous to me

Thanks for any responses

Hhi everyone'

We still have the verso but I need a bit of feedback from other 1.6 vmatic drivers.

When moving forward uphill in traffic if the car is revved the clutch brought up to move the car forward but before the clutch is fully released I take my foot off the accelerator and dip the clutch the revs will rise from 2100 rpm to around 3200 rpm and then drop to idle. It won't do it if the car exceeds a certain speed (10mph)

Any ideas, feels very dangerous to me

Thanks for any responses

Hi, are you from Lancaster? Think I might have met you at Vantage Preston.

Hi valvematic,

What brought you to Vantage Toyota, just trying to place you.

Must say the I have found the customer service and assistance by Vantage Toyota Preston has been excellent.

What's your experience owning a Toyota?

Hi valvematic,

What brought you to Vantage Toyota, just trying to place you.

Must say the I have found the customer service and assistance by Vantage Toyota Preston has been excellent.

What's your experience owning a Toyota?

Hi, I had an issue with rattling front brakes.

I agree the service at Vantage is very good.

I like my car but am annoyed about the current issue that may require a new steering rack. I don't have the toyota warranty. 4 yr old car with 25k with an expensive problem and more and more owners are flagging the same.

• 5 weeks later...

Well folks the verso has gone. To be honest good riddance.

I am intending posting a true and honest opinion and findings regarding my 2010 1.6 valvematic verso.

On another note if anyone is interested in a brand new, unused spare wheel (spacesaver) and boot liner for the verso, I am selling these items at bargain prices.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links