Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Shell V-Power Diesel

dervdave

Hmm well a TDI is basically no different than a D4D. They are both turbocharged common rail diesels so I would want more information to stop using it.

Shell Technical Manual.....Page 18...Paragraph 3.......item "d"...........

"Yay pays yer money, and ye makes yer choice"..........

There's been numerous discussions around this and nothing at this point in time categorically proves that V-Power diesel is bad for the engine.

What has been proven many times via various car magazines, Top Gear, 5th Gear, etc, is that V-Power diesel helps/assists (whichever way you want to phrase it) the engine produce more power and return better MPG.

All I know is that we have gone through 40,000 miles worth of the stuff with no issues with almost 30,000 miles of that on the new engine and unless some one is able to prove different I will be continuing to use it :thumbsup:

Out of curiosity, has anything been mentioned over V-Power petrol as in people/dealers advising not to use it?

I`ve searched for info on any problems using Shell V-Power and there isn`t any apart from the price :D

It's possible that someone has made a spurious and unfounded link between the very fine tolerances in contemporary high pressure diesel fuel pumps and the 'cleaning additives' in V power. Most cleaning agents are solvents of some kind or other - like petrol. Now petrol running through a high pressure diesel pump is bad news as petrol has little or no lubricasting properties. However, whatever cleaning agents are in Shell V Power diesel, it has the same lubricity as Shell Fuel Save diesel. Ergo, no reported mechanical problems.

Several of the commercially available diesel fuel additives are kerosene based (a mild lubricant, as well as a 'dispersant' to provide a base for the other ingredients), plus naphthalene (a cetane/combustion improver, and also a solvent). Look up the MSDS sheets on the manufacturer's websites, where all the ingredients are listed. (One or two manufacturers/suppliers are reluctant to release this data, as we know on this Club site from a year or two back . . .)

My guess is that the upmarket diesels contain similar ingredients, but probably only as few as they can get away with. Commercial fuel from the big boys is not immune from !Removed! and errors of judgment: remember all those burnt valves from a few years ago? And the damaged diesel injection pumps?

Chris

See also . . .

http://en.wikipedia....i/Shell_V-Power

Commercial fuel from the big boys is not immune from !Removed! and errors of judgment: remember all those burnt valves from a few years ago? And the damaged diesel injection pumps?

Chris

See also . . .

http://en.wikipedia....i/Shell_V-Power

To be fair Chris I`m sure thats not the case with Shell V-Power diesel.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links