Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Towbar And Wiring

camey

Hello

Well just bought a early 2009 RAV4 D4D XT-R, already tried it in the snow and delighted with it so far, even more important the wife thought it would be to big for her to drive but once she tried it she likes it.

Anyway, I need to fit a towbar, for trailers only, no caravans, was thinking about the Towsure model with the fixed flange but not sure about the wiring side of things, I have seen mention on various sites that with this type of car you shouldn't tie into the existing wiring with scotchlock connectors as it could damage the electricial system, seen this advertised on eBay and wonder what your thoughts are about it or if there is anything better.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130612341497?clk_rvr_id=441838086588&afsrc=1

Thanks in advance. John

Welcome to the club.

Occasionally the proper Toyota ones come up on eBay but I'm sure that is an excellent alternative.

Take care with some of these aftermarket tow bars. They have a universal fitment that allows clearance with a spare wheel on the rear door and as such they stick out too far on RAVs with the plain back door.

I fitted an Anchor model I got off fleabay, soldierd the wires straight to mr. t's harness,only towed twice last year, but no bother at all

B-A

The Witter ones Chris posted the link to, all seem to want to cut the bumper, which is a shame as I was looking at fitting a removable towbar, but even the permanent one says it requires to cut the bumper

Gus

On our 4.2, Mr T (here in Spain) fitted an ALKO bar when we bought the car here new in 2003. It didn't require any cutting of the rear flitch panel, and does clear the bottom of the door when opened. It does, however, reduce the rear-end ground clearance a little - no problem if you're on level road.

A removable ball/hitch seems a good idea (our Alko is "fixed").

Point taken about the Witter and cutting.

Chris

Having had a permanent towbar on a previous car therefore I am quite keen to keep my shins intact :) I will give the guys on that website a call in the morning, quick question is witter alko the same company?

Gus

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links