Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone Had Their Nuts Tweaked?

Davrav

Seems to have been a while since the recall notice for the potential loose nuts issue. Anyone actually had the locking clips fitted yet?

Toyota checked it in October but they couldn't do anything as they were awaiting parts. Got the call and took it back end of November for the new parts to be fitted. Less than one hour to do the job including a car wash!

You need to understand what has been done when you have this check done.

It relates to checking the lock nut on the link that adjust the tracking on the rear axle. Few cars have this ability and if the get bumped or have new parts, spend the rest of their life scrubbing rear tyres or with some alignment descrepancy. The first Toyota online manuals had the wrong torque setting for this adjustment lock nut and as such a few came loose. In these cases the shaft could get corrosion on the thread and the link could detach. This would allow the rear axle to float free of alignment and the car would become difficult to control. The actual numbers that did it are very low. Only 12 in all of Europe and 57 in the USA which is the biggest market. You have to remember that street side wheel alignment centres are commonplace in the USA so the chances of it happening are higher - there is ONLY a risk if the rear wheel alignment has been checked AND adjusted. It is purely if those lock nuts were not re-torqued properly. You also have to remember that many mechanics wouldn't even look up the torque, they would just use the normal brute force they would use to ruin your dash board if they had that out.

These were fine when they left the factory. There is a very high chance that they have never been touched unless the car has had new parts on the rear axle or it has been in an accident. You could seriously hurt/confuse or even mame a high street chain tyre fitter by even mentioning rear wheel alignment, let alone asking him to adjust it.

SO! If you have the check done

For most it will be just checking the lock nuts are tight as they were when it left the factory. That should be a quick job - as Angelos says, less than an hour even if they use abrasives to clean your car. If they do change the links it should be half a day and if it has been returned quicker you need to question that it has been re-aligned afterwards AND pay attention to rear tyre wear afterwards to make sure it is still running true. You should know in a month if it is feathering tyres and if so get it back to them.

Good advice there :thumbsup:

Mine's hasn't had either recalls looked at yet (the door switch or rear nuts), as Toyota sent me a recall notice but the dealer hasn't acted on it yet.

I've had my nuts tweaked (& clips fitted I believe) and window switches lubed - both recall items done at the same time back in November.

Had mine serviced and they did both recalls whilst there. No fuss.

Dave

No photos, but had my nuts tweaked, clips fitted and switch checked during routine service November 2012 by Toyota Dealer.