Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spinelli Toyota Pointe-Claire (Montreal Canada) New Car Paint Scratche

Ron_L

Bought a brand new Toyota Rav4 2012 end of this past October, all seemed well until now. I went to get a car wash yesterday for the first time (no contact wash at the local Ultramar) and I noticed lots of scratches all over the place. On the hood, on the side doors, around the windows. All seem to be on curved edges only, looks like some kind of buffing machine did it.

Was wondering what are my options and if anyone else had the same issue?

CAM00202_zps11ab6a9e.jpg

CAM00201_zpsaafe2ecb.jpg

CAM00200_zps038e62b6.jpg

CAM00199_zpsdd8bb644.jpg

CAM00197_zps5373e9a8.jpg

CAM00196_zps0105ec27.jpg

CAM00195_zpsafe63305.jpg

CAM001941_zpsb38f9f87.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron_L

• CharlieFarlie

• Davrav

• Big Kev

Top Posters In This Topic

Topic moved to RAV Forum.......

Looks like someone has been over the thing with a damaged squeegee to remove spotting. Did you put the car through yourself or did yoy leave it with an operative?

I use a brushless car wash [Only one functioning in the UK apparently] every now and then but I simply drive in, let it do it's thing and drive away.

Some of the marks may buff out but it looks to me to be well into the paint surface in places. Best get it to a reputable auto bodyshop for a professional opinion

Any storms blowing down or blowing around bushes and bits of tree, Ron?

Looks like its been through a car wash ??

Only picture that gives cause for concern is the last one...

Surely the OP never took delivery of the car in that state ??

David if that was done with a squeege it must have been supplied by rugby cement ??

non-contact car wash which I used with my previous car and my parents used it for their cars as well, none of the other cars has any scratches whatsoever.

Charlie, last time I saw marks like that on a car was when wife used the hard plastic ice scraper side of a double sided window scraper to remove snow from the bonnet of her Volvo...........

That's what made me think of a squeegee.

Why would I use a plastic scraper on the full hood? I am not trying to point fingers here but find the cause of these scratches...

Charlie, last time I saw marks like that on a car was when wife used the hard plastic ice scraper side of a double sided window scraper to remove snow from the bonnet of her Volvo...........

That's what made me think of a squeegee.

Right understand !!

To the OP... Are you saying the car was delivered new like this ? Sorry I'm a bit confused ??

Coming back to your options... Well very nearly all the scratches and marks are a relatively easy polish out job .. But the ones in the last picture look a little deeper ? Can you feel them with you thumb nail ? Even if you can all is not lost but it would depend on if they are restricted to the lacquer coat and the paint finish will need careful measurement with a dual layer Paint Thickness Gauge....

Why would I use a plastic scraper on the full hood? I am not trying to point fingers here but find the cause of these scratches...

No one is suggesting that you have used a scraper.. But all we can collectively do is eliminate the causes by asking a few questions ??

I will ask again... Was the car depivered like this ?

Spoke to a local bodyshop and they say the car was probably got a bad buff at the dealer prior to have been handed to me. Then what they did is use a glaze to conceal this that is why all this started to show up only after I washed the car fully (and this was the first time I washed the car).

So that is the assumption now, I was trying to figure out if I could have caused it but nothing comes to mind, it can't even be from other cars since the scratches are on the hood and high areas. There are no scratches on the windows, lights, door knobes, wheels, it just doesn't add up...

A useful rule of thumb test to see if the scratches are likely to polish out is to wet them and if the marks seem to disappear, then they *should* polish out. That last pic does look like they are deep scratches which will need paint :(

Slight aside: I saw someone clearing the snow off their windscreen and bonnet with a snow shovel in the last couple of weeks! I wonder what THEIR paintwork looks like now!!

I cannot think of any product on the planet that could or would conceal marks like that !! Sorry but that is just not possible !

You have had the car for several months and not spotted all those marks all over the car ??

I have in the past seen buffer trails left by poor machine polishing but they simply do not look like that ! It is very unusual for a Dealer to machine polish a car prior to delivery...

Trust me the person who invents a glaze or product that could disguise that lot will make an absolute fortune !

Maybe the dealer scraped snow off in the yard prior to delivery............

A glaze would mask scratches until it was washed off as you say Ron.

There was no snow at the time of purchase :/

A useful rule of thumb test to see if the scratches are likely to polish out is to wet them and if the marks seem to disappear, then they *should* polish out. That last pic does look like they are deep scratches which will need paint :(

Slight aside: I saw someone clearing the snow off their windscreen and bonnet with a snow shovel in the last couple of weeks! I wonder what THEIR paintwork looks like now!!

David the only positive way to decide if a scratch will polish out is to use a dual layer Paint Thickness Guage.. This will have the ability to display the thickness of both the base coat and lacquer coat as separate entity's just as we discussed a week or two ago..

Base coat typically is one third of the total thickness . Sometimes more Sometimes less.. Only with a PTG can this be established and should be done before cutting with polish takes place..

Some of the pictures above seem to my eyes to have colour changes though which would as you as you require paint to put right..

David.. Mate I have never seen any product that would mask those marks.. Wish I could come up with something that could or would.. ..

I have seen marks like this mostly from car washes but the brush type... Also seem marks where someone has washed with a really bad or grit filled sponge.. Saw it once on a near brand new peugeot and the owner had dropped the sponge on his drive and picked it up and rubbed the roof with it !! It did polish out though...

So the only valid 2nd reason would be the local car wash since these popped up right after.

Not taking the dealers side here but you would definitely have seen those marks since you took delivery several months ago...

You don't think a silicone filler like Meguiars ScratchX would do it Charlie? It fills light scratches but does wash out after a while.

You don't think a silicone filler like Meguiars ScratchX would do it Charlie? It fills light scratches but does wash out after a while.

I have scratchx.. Also have Meguires number 7 Glaze.. One of the best polishes with good filling ability is good old Auto Glym Super Resin Plus.. But these products might just hide some of the very light marks but many of the marks shown above would still stand out like sore thumbs !

Plus they come off even in rain water...

Dealers of shall we say Ill repute have been known to spray cars with silcone based sprays or knacker laquers as they are known but these cover only marks up to light swirling (At which they are very good at doing) But they would not have hardly any effect on the OPs car..

the scratches are not that deep...silicon might have had a good effect on these plus its on edges only so would work perfectly without having anyone see them...The car wash probably took all of it off completely.

Also I can confirm its not the car wash since there are no scratches on the mirrors or the spare tire which were the closest to the jets in the no-contact car wash.