Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Multi Mode Probs

lindy_park

Hi, have had my Auris since 2007 and never had any trouble till now. Suddenly wouldnt drive either in auto or manual.Transmission warning light came on but no audible sound. Sat at the garage for a few days till the guy that looks after my car could get around to looking at it and it had decided to start wokring again!!!! which it did for 6 weeks and now has done the same again. It doesnt appear to be a mechanical problem but wondering about diagnostic testing to see if there is a problem with any of the sensors.Having had an Avensis before this and needed nothing more than a tyre or brake pads in the 9 years I had it Im not sure the best way to go about this. Any sugestions will be much appreciated. Lindy x PS any idea the cost of this?

Can you give more information - did the transmission fail whilst you were driving?

Yeah,had slowed waiting for traffic to clear and when I tried to accelerate it wouldnt go into gear. Rested it for awhile but it wouldnt drive or reverse. This is the 2nd time its happened.

It does !. first happened about 6 weeks ago and was fine till the other day then same thing again. Its alright others saying that it not bad only 1 problem in so many years but when your the one with traffic flying around you and there is nowhere for you to go its pretty scary. car at the garage for diagnostic testing and if im honest Im hoping it comes up with something cos not sure i want to be in that position again.

You're absolutely right mate, things like that shouldn't happen and are not acceptable. Please report back as soon as you'll get some news (hopefully the ones you're hoping for).

Got my car back today. They found a malfunction in the MMT software and this has been replaced with the latest software. They also discovered that I should have had a recall about the clutch being replaced which they have done. I am glad to say my total bill was only £90 ! what a relief. . . . . .

Glad that everything's fine now, and without too big investments. Why did they charge you anyway?

The MMT soft is a known issue too. There's also 3 different hardware (ECUs) for MM-T available.

I was charged for the 1 hour diagnostics as the car is outwith warrenty. It has only done 44,000 miles in the 51/2 years since new. They also changed the master switch for electric windows which was also due changed because of recall for faults. Im just glad to be on the road again

• 1 month later...

Hi

I am so glad I have found this post!

I too have a 2007 Auris Multi Mode. My husband was driving the car the other day and the same thing happened, warning light came on and then transmission completely stopped, he couldn't drive or reverse. This happened after being in traffic. The car only started again after putting into neutral and letting it cool down. We took it to our local toyota garage this morning for a service and also for the window recall same as you. We also mentioned this problem. The service team called us back this afternoon to say that the clutch was worn out due to a "faulty switch" and that both would need replacing at a cost of £1800!!

I would greatly appreciate if you could let me know about the clutch recall that you say should have been done, I have only received two recalls the latest being the window. The service team never mentioned anything about software or a recall.

I am disappointed that Toyota could fit a faulty part and not replace it!

I look forward to your advise on where to go from here

It was the toyota garage that I took my car for diagnostics that told me about the recall. They said that I should have been informed about it 2 years previously !!!!!! I am still living in the same house and had the car from new so I have no idea why I didnt hear from toyota. Did you ask the garage to check for recalls? My garage told me it was flagged up on their system when they put my registration details in.

Hope this helps, Linda

You can use the recall checker on the Toyota website to check whether your car is due any recall work. Go to www.toyota.co.uk, click on 'owners', then go to the right hand column 'owner info' and select 'recall checker'. Input your registration number, confirm it is your vehicle, and if your car is due any recall work, the webpage will show this.

• Like 1

Thats good to know for the future. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

HI Lindy_park

So my update from Toyota customer relations is disappointing, they are sticking with their story that it is out if warranty therefore they won't cover the work. I even had a letter written from the Toyota garage service department saying that they had found a fault code in the engine control unit and after further investigation they identified that the ACTUATOR was faulty causing damage/wear to the clutch plate. Even with this letter from their own authorised dealer garage they won't accept liability which I think it disgusting. I was wondering if you would be willing to email me copies of any correspondence regarding the work they carried for you. I will private message you my email address. I want to put a case together and any information you have would be greatly appreciated. I can't find any details of a recall on the clutch for Auris via Toyota website or VOSA website. So at the moment they are saying it would cost £1800 (£870 of this alone is for the "fault" part! The rest is the clutch cost and labour)

Any information will be so useful.

Many thanks

Alison

After checking the VOSA and AA websites, it seems that there have been four recalls for the Auris: 1) rear brake calipers. 2) rear suspension arm. 3) main power window switch. 4)accelerator pedal.

I would suggest that if there has been a problem with the MMT actuator or clutch, this has probably been dealt with using the service bulletin system rather than an official VSA recall.

Hi Frostyballs

I found the same,couldn't see any record of a recall. So I was wondering how come Lindy_park when they looked into her Auris said that there was a recall even though she hadn't had one sent. Toyota are obviously aware of this problem and there are countless forums of people experiencing the same problem with their MMT clutch/gearbox. I am disappointed that even thought a Toyota technical has said it is due to a faulty actuator that this has happened. Why should I pay £870 for a part that has been fitted faulty in the first place! If anyone has any advice please let me know. Or if anyone knows of a cheaper way around this. I am in London

Thank you

P.s. what is the service bulletin system? Is this Toyota's own system? I checked on their website using my reg liked you suggested and all those mentioned came up but nothing for the clutch :(

You can try different Toyota delaer and see if they will do something to solve the issue for free... Or you can write a letter to Toyota HeadQuarters!

Most manufacturers use technical service bulletins to notify dealers of changes to repair procedures, parts, etc for either specific vehicles or a range of vehicles. Work required by technical service bulletins is usually undertaken as and when vehicles have their scheduled services. Ideally when dealers have vehicles in for servicing, they check whether there is any outstanding work required by technical service bulletins. Each manufacturer has their own system for these technical service bulletins, and the information is usually contained within the appropriate dealer network. Often customers are unaware that any additional work has been carried out.

For example the Toyota Aygo/Peugeot 107/Citroen C1 are manufactured under a joint venture agreement in the Czech republic. In 2011 some right hand front cross members were identified as not being of the correct thickness. Toyota replaced the affected part on Aygos before the cars left the factory. Peugeot/Citroen dealt with the issue under their service bulletin system.

It is not the same as the VOSA recall system - which is a formal system controlled by a Government agency directly related to vehicle safety.

After a whole evening of investigation on the internet I have found details of a "customer satisfaction campaign" detailing the exact problem of a MMT malfunction and instructions to dealers to inspect and fix "clutch actuator motor and clutch set with an improved one"

see the campaign: http://www.toyota-tech.eu/toms_cabs/EN/ZKET-028.pdf

There is a list of VIN they have identified as needing inspection, however is just out of this list.

I can't believe that Toyota could say to me that they will no fix this fault when I have experienced this exact "malfunction of the MMT" and even have a letter from toyota servicing saying that the damage to my clutch is due to a "faulty actuator"

The problem obviously lies further than the selected serial numbers they identifed. I am writing another letter to them along with this find and also contacting Watchdog on the matter.

• Like 1

Thank you for the PDF, it is great find! Not very nice that you aren't affected by the campaing though. The situation isn't easy. I noticed same strange gear changes in the beginning, they were slow and sometimes the car refused to change from 1st to 2nd gear. The revs went up, but nothing happened. This got me concerned and there were also other problems with by car too (squeaky brakes, squeaky panels inside etc etc) which I had allready complained about to my dealer.

After many visits and trying everything the dealer changed clutch, actuaton and MMT ECU. They updated the ECU once more later as I still wasn't satisfied with the replaced one. There were 3 different versions released until that moment, so they installed the latest one.

The car works better now, but please notice that I had this "stuck in neutral" problem too a while ago for the first time. So my actuator is starting to break down. Many people even with updated ECU have experienced this same thing, but you need to just try and convince your dealer to replace it. Same is with the ECU unit.

You told that you've been reading threads about the MMT issue, here is a list of some useful ones in case you haven't noticed them.

Stuck in 1st gear

Stuck in neutral

MMT problems

MMT discussion with ECU versions described

Hope you will get your problems solved. This case is very obvious and they should replace the ECU and the parts related to is (actuator and clutch). I would advice to complain about bad behaviour of your MMT, not the actuator fault. Tell them that your MMT changes gears strangely and that you didn't notice it before as someone else was mostly driving the car or something like that. Then tell them that there are 3 versions of MMT ECU and you'd like the newest one. After they will change that one they usually change the other parts related to it too.

I hope best of luck for you and hopefully this will help!

Ali sorry its taken so long to get back to u. Been on nites alot and havent been near the puter !!

All I did was take the car to the garage to get diagnostic tested and when i collected it they told me about the probs they found and that they were all fixed and only charged the £90 hours diagnostic fee as agreed beforehand. Im afraid I dont have any correspondence from them because they just did the work and gave me my car back for which I was eternally gratefull. I was so worried about a bill that I had been working extra shifts at the hospital just in case before i would even put it into the garage. Im sorry that i cant be of any more help to you I just hope you manage to find a garage as good as the one I did and they sort the problem out

These manual transmissions with automated clutches all seem to have a life of 4/5 years before needing expensive repairs. For example similar transmissions fitted to the Ford Fiesta (2003-2008) and its sister Mazda 2 (2003-2007) are both said to need repairs due to actuator problems totaling around £1500 at 4/5 years old.

After a whole evening of investigation on the internet I have found details of a "customer satisfaction campaign" detailing the exact problem of a MMT malfunction and instructions to dealers to inspect and fix "clutch actuator motor and clutch set with an improved one"

see the campaign: http://www.toyota-tech.eu/toms_cabs/EN/ZKET-028.pdf

There is a list of VIN they have identified as needing inspection, however is just out of this list.

I can't believe that Toyota could say to me that they will no fix this fault when I have experienced this exact "malfunction of the MMT" and even have a letter from toyota servicing saying that the damage to my clutch is due to a "faulty actuator"

The problem obviously lies further than the selected serial numbers they identifed. I am writing another letter to them along with this find and also contacting Watchdog on the matter.

Interesting find. I actually went through that document and it appears that my car is on the identified VIN list. I e-mailed Toyota relations with this finding and they sort of referred me to contact a dealership and ask them whether my car is subject to a customer satisfaction recall.

I don't have any problems with my car at the moment but I'll give my local Toyota a call on Monday and see what they have to say about this. Good luck too.