Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Complaint About Mark 1 Diesel - Disgracefully Unreliable.

Madasafish

Our Mark 1 Yaris D4D is now 10 years old.- 7 in our ownership To celebrate its anniversary it has proceeded to blot its reliability copybook big style and I am writing this as a warning to other would be users.

The Battery is failing and will need to be replaced this summer.

It's only 10 years old!

This is NOT good enough.

:-)

It's a good job that you took out that Toyota Extended Warranty then!

You did........Didn't you? ;)

:-)

New Battery c £60

Toyota Warranty several £100s...

Nope...

Boeing boeing bong... car up in smoke..

I hope you told them Oldham.

Told Em Oldham! ...that's an Oldan! :yes::help:

Pete.

I bought a Bosch S4 - (sorry no puns) - from ECP -15% offer..

i too have had this problem last year 2012 (january) temperatures were -17 my wifes yaris Battery gave up bought a Bosch Battery all good since, we have had our d4d yaris for approx 8 years bought for £6000 in 2005 with 4980 miles on the clock now at 104900 miles only problem we have had has been 2 sets of roll bar bushes one set i bought were toyota genuine ones £65 lasted 18mths next set eBay £10 disc pads were replaced at 102000 miles still had 2mm left on them EGR valve was coked up followed the guide on here took about 1hr to fix this car runs 35miles everyday up and down the A1 and has been reliable since the day we bought it, it has been serviced mostly by independant garages and by myself, all parts used genuine toyota i have also used this car to tow our folding camper weight 450kg (penine aztec) it has towed this in the past with absolutely no problem only downside is lack of storage space for camping in general toyota do make the most reliable cars in the world and when this one expires i will be buying another

• 3 months later...

I would be pleased to get ten years life from a Battery. I used to run a Citroen Xantia 1.9TD and it used to be struggling to start in the winter once the Battery was three years old. I would jump start it once but then replace the Battery the same day. I couldn't afford to have the car let me down.

Good job its not a Prius :laughing:

• 3 weeks later...

10 years? that's nothing! The Battery in my 1.0 Yaris is 11, yes, eleven years old!

Son's 1.0 Yaris Battery is still going strong at 12 years old...

Had my Yaris for 7 yrs,0n 62000 miles...it a '53 model

Although the Battery has lasted and is at least 7 yrs old and was still ok, I still bought a new one as the average life is 4 yrs,

rather have a new one now and not have the inconvenience of waiting in the middle of nowhere for Britannia rescue with a failed Battery

for goodness sake only £35 for peace of mind.

A friend of mine has a 13 year old Yaris, and it's still on its first Battery :) It was actually the first Yaris bought in this town.

• 2 months later...

Just to update as I've done some 10 year maintenance ...

1. Oil and filter change- 5-30W synthetic (Halfords Offer).

2. Changed drop links at front -MOT advisory. The last ones lasted 5 years - we have lots of speed humps and some rather poor country roads which I drive along weekly to beekeeping.

3. Changed antifreeze and coolant after 10 years - replaced with Toyota premixed OAT .

Removed undertray. undid tap on radiator, let it drain. Replaced mixture slowly to let bubbles escape. ran engine till warm topped up, repeated three times until all working. Replaced undertray. Waxoiled any rusty bits whilst underneath (pit).

Still on original exhaust (pretty rust free as repainted every 3 years or so with heat proof aluminium paint..), all running gear , engine gearbox clutch etc.and all original belts.. New front disks and pads seven years ago..

Sounds like it did when we bought it as a two year old...

Just to update as I've done some 10 year maintenance ...

1. Oil and filter change- 5-30W synthetic (Halfords Offer).

2. Changed drop links at front -MOT advisory. The last ones lasted 5 years - we have lots of speed humps and some rather poor country roads which I drive along weekly to beekeeping.

3. Changed antifreeze and coolant after 10 years - replaced with Toyota premixed OAT .

Removed undertray. undid tap on radiator, let it drain. Replaced mixture slowly to let bubbles escape. ran engine till warm topped up, repeated three times until all working. Replaced undertray. Waxoiled any rusty bits whilst underneath (pit).

Still on original exhaust (pretty rust free as repainted every 3 years or so with heat proof aluminium paint..), all running gear , engine gearbox clutch etc.and all original belts.. New front disks and pads seven years ago..

Sounds like it did when we bought it as a two year old...

I had MOT advisory about drop links 4 MOT'S ago, I ignored as there was no knocking...53 reg, 65000 still the originals,

change coolant after 10 yrs?......rather do it after 5 regardless

I thought Exhausts rot inside out and no matter what you do they'll rot...mine is original

Anyway , sounds like you girl is purring