Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Headlight Bulb

Soeley

Has anyone bought a replacement HIRII headlight bulb, if so how much did you pay?

Not exactly, I'm going to France in a fortnight so need a spare bulb kit. I have ordered on, but looking for the bulb alone nobody seems to sell them. eBay only have them from American sellers.

I was just curious really.

OK I can lend you one for the Journey rather than spend money. Let me know. I take it MR T is Good lord how much!

David

Thanks for the offer David, but I have ordered a kit. The bulbs on eBay were selling for £20 to £30 some plus postage. The kit I have ordered from MrT is £29. So in retrospect I didn't think it too bad.

Craig, where did you buy it from, eBay or Toyota dealer?

I notice some websites that sell auto bulbs still list the wrong type for the iQ.

When I go to pick my kit up, if it doesn't have a HIRII in, I'll tell them to stick it :)

I got my kit from eBay from a Rav4 owner, much like the one in my link. I didn't really pay much attention to the numbers at the time, just thought, That looks the same. Silly me...

Still, All the other bulbs in there are useful so not a complete waste.

A lot of websites and eBay sellers say an H4 twin filament bulb for an iQ and that is completely wrong, Not even close as you know. :)

Craig.

I am still of the belief that the reason for the new bulbous design like a projector lamp is to make correct use of the twin motorised reflectors for high and low beam in the lamp housing. I also think (could be wrong) that the HIR11 bulb was specially designed for the iQ's lamp enclosure and only used in the iQ

David

Are the bulbs in the fog lights the same? Just a thought but if they are I'll "rescue" the expensive ones from down there and chuck in some cheaper or LED ones. Never use the fog lights anyway!

Craig.

Not sure about HB4, must be a variation of H4. Thing with using different bulbs is, you have to make sure the base is correct for it to fit (obviouse one that) but also that the focal length of the bulb is the same i.e. from base to filament. If that is different then the effect is similar to a torch where you can twist the lens to change the beam pattern.

I am still of the belief that the reason for the new bulbous design like a projector lamp is to make correct use of the twin motorised reflectors for high and low beam in the lamp housing. I also think (could be wrong) that the HIR11 bulb was specially designed for the iQ's lamp enclosure and only used in the iQ

David

I think the HIRII bulbs are more popular overseas, hence sellers in America and Australia selling them. I thought the bulbous shape of the envelope was to allow the special coating to relflect the Infrared light back in more efficiantly/evenly, this makes it burn brighter than a std bulb.

Are the bulbs in the fog lights the same? Just a thought but if they are I'll "rescue" the expensive ones from down there and chuck in some cheaper or LED ones. Never use the fog lights anyway!

Craig.

Craig the fog light bulbs are just std H? run of the mill bulbs, I'm sure.

Guess what, they supplied me with the wrong kit. They gave me a kit with part number 90981-YZZF3, this is the H11 kit. Phoned them back tthis morning and they informed me there are two kits, the other has the HIR2 bulb. Apparently my car being a 60 plate was on the change over, but I was under the impression all iQ3s came with HIR2 and it was onlt yhr early iQs that had the H11?

Replacement kit should be here Wednesday.

I'll post correct part number when I get it.

That's the same kit I got then. All the bulbs except the headlight bulb are useful!

Mine is a January 2010 model and that has HIR2 bulbs.

Craig.

Just been to the local motor factors and had a chat about bulbs there. I said I need an HIR2 bulb and he said, never heard of that one so he looked the iQ up in the various bulb fitment books they have and the first one said H4 bulb. No it's not I said, it's got a plastic fitment, single filament and two connectors.

Next catalogue said it's an H7 bulb. Nope, single filament yes but metal base and no plastic connector.

Chap said maybe it's an H7 in a separate holder? I felt I was losing the battle at that point so said I'll take the bulb out and bring it in sometime. All their stock was hanging on the wall though and there was no mention on any of them about HIR2

Maybe I'll try the Toyota dealer next?

I only want a spare one to carry in the event one packs up. As the bulb serves both dip and main beam it could be dodgy driving with just one.

Craig.

It is worth getting a spare I think as you can't just walk into a motor factors or Halfords and get one like you can with any other car bulb.

I did notice that the Halfords fitment guide has no listing at all for iQ headlight, and the Bosch fitment guide in Halfords says H4 - 2009 onwards..

I did get the correct Spare Bulb kit from Toyota today with the HIR2 bulb in it. So just to recap, the part numbers for the kits are:

H11 Kit - 90981-YZZF3

HIR2 Kit - 90981-YZZG2

They just did a straight swap. I might phone a different dealer tomorrow and ask the price of a single bulb and see if they have them in stock or if you have to wait a few days to get one.

Can I ask how much the kit was Mark?

Send me a private message if you don't want to say on the forum.

Just thinking if a new bulb is £30 and the kit is £35, may as well get the full kit from them.

Cheers

Craig.

The kit was £29 something, with my 10% discount I paid £26 something. Not sure it the HIR2 kit should have been more or not.

Oh, That's not a bad price really. I may just pop in and order one from them. Thanks. :)

Craig.

Just phoned another dealer, HIR2 bulb is £20.72, so the kit isn't bad.