Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyres On A Gen 3 Prius

abshot

I am just about to buy a 2009 gen 3 Prius, T Spirit from a private seller.

I saw the car yesterday and the front tyres were pretty much bald, the mileage is only 26000 miles. They are the original Michelin 17" tyres from new.

Can anyone suggest a reason for this, is it due to the way the car's been driven?

I have a T4 Prius which did 40000miles before the front tyres needed changing, 26000 miles seems very low. Any suggestions please?

Many thanks

abshot

26,000 miles seems very low mileage for Michelin tyres to be bald. I would be concerned that the tracking may be out. Going over humps at speed or hitting a kerb etc could cause damage. I would suggest you get the car checked by the RAC or AA or even better a Toyota dealer. To be honest I would be wary about buying the car. Your quote of 40,000 miles is about right before tyres need changing.

40k miles from a set of tyres! blimey....

Doesn't it depend on the type of driving done?

If all motorway driving then I would expect extra mileage, but if it's all around town, then best of luck if you think you're going to get that sort of mileage!

Be lucky to get half that in Milton Keynes. Those stupid roundabouts every ten feet and the appalling state of the roads these days sees to that.

I got circa 40k on the fronts and 88k on the rears - although this is mainly motorway driving.

The lack of grunt on a Prius makes the tyres last ages IMHO

I live in rural Sussex and do mainly short journeys on country roads. I replaced my gen 3 Michelin standard fitment fronts at 27k when they were at 3mm. So I'd agree it depends how the car is used. Btw I'm a fairly gentle driver, easy on the car. Motorways will see more miles from the tyres.

When I was a taxi driver I changed the fronts at 18,000/20,000 miles. The rears last a lot longer.

Tyre useage depends on many factors - mainly the use. There are those who say brakes should last xyz miles, but again if you drive 100 miles a day on the motorway, you're brakes will last longer than someone who drives through heavy traffic all day.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links