Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help Needed!

ruimsm

Hi everyone...my name is Rui, i´m portuguese and i need some help of you :)!

I own a 2004 Avensis station wagon 2.0 D4D, 116bhp, with 146000kms, and i have to major problems to solve...

1º problem - TRC (Traction Control), VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) & Engine management lights all on...i went to Toyota and they said that could be a problem in one wheel sensor and so the computer can´t have information of him, said too there´s no problem running out with lights on... they turn off the light, everything ok...but they´ve appear again!curiously these lights always appear between october-november to april-may...never have problems in good weathers months...can i related this to some moisture problem in electric circuit?

2º problem - Intermittent Power Loss...sometimes don´t have turbo response ...turn off the car, then turn on again and everything is allright....he´ve checked most pipes, no bad connections...but there´s something is falling :)!

for each problem can you give me a simplify list of verifying points and things i can do, in order to solve this problems!

thanks all

I had the same problem as your No1. Turned out to be a faulty Yaw rate sensor located under the passenger seat. Replaced with one from a breakers yard (£35). New they are very expensive. Toyota had a recall to replace some for cars made around 2004. You need to check the stored MIL code but you need a code reader that can read the ABS computer or pay a dealer to do it.

Your number 2 problem sounds like EGR problem but others will comment.

thanks ighaig for your time...

tell me if i understood well... breakers yard are people o sells car parts(new or already used) with better prices!

how much is 35pounds in euros?

where code readers can be buyed? is there any model available and not to expensive (how much does it cost) capable to read the ABS computer that i can buy?where can i find it?

in number 2 problem a simple EGR cleanning should do to eliminate problem?

sorry if my english is not the best one...

thanks for your help

"2º problem - Intermittent Power Loss"

my 2004 d4d has suffered this- turned out to be EGRI

personally I suggest you clean EGR and Maf sensor first. and change fuel filter if its been over 5 thousand miles since last changed.

yours maybe:

EGR VALVE

MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR (MAF) SENSOR

FUEL FILTER

SCV VALVES

PLEASE CLICK ON LINK BELOW:

this will help you.

http://www.toyotaown...howtopic=114711

also I have read blocked egr can trigger vsc & trc lights on.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=122291

tell me if i understood well... breakers yard are people o sells car parts(new or already used) with better prices!

Your understanding is correct, the breakers yard breaks up used cars and sells the parts,

A new YAW rate sensor will cost over 1000 Euros. Do not buy a new one unless you have conclusively diagnosed the YAW rate sensor is defective

how much is 35pounds in euros?

about 45 Euros.

where code readers can be buyed? is there any model available and not to expensive (how much does it cost) capable to read the ABS computer that i can buy?where can i find it?

One place is eBay - mine is like this one :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Autel-MaxiDiag-PRO-MD801-Code-Scanner-Scan-Tool-JP701-US703-FR704-EU702-4-IN-1-/251220293215?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3a7de5765f

Autel MaxiDiag PRO MD801 Code Scanner Scan Tool JP701+US703+FR704+EU702 4 IN 1 . This model can talk to the ABS computer, there are other types available. Use google to look.

in number 2 problem a simple EGR cleanning should do to eliminate problem

It is a 2 hour job for an experienced amateur, but do not attempt it if you are not confident. If this is the cause of your problem it is an easy fix.

This is a copy of a reply I gave to another owner.

Hello and welcome,

Firstly disconnect the neg Battery lead from the Battery, leave for half an hour then reconnect it this should/may clear the fault.

The reason for the fault maybe due to the EGR valve being blocked, do a quick search on this forum for more details about this and see whether you feel up to cleaning it yourself.

Some may wonder why the EGR fault causes the TRC light to come on, this is because the TRC system needs full control of the engine under certain conditions, so as the engine can't give a correct response due to the valve being blocked it puts the car into limp mode and puts both lights on for safety reasons.

See how it goes if the fault clears after the Battery has been disconnected and report back.

There is plenty of info on this forum on how to clean the EGR valve and MAF, doing both jobs at the same time will take less than 2 hours, a garage could do them in 1 HR.

Regards Pete.

thank you all for your time and for your interest...

fuel filter has been recently changed, and i´m gonna to send my D4D to the garage to re-check all pipes, conections, clean the egr valve and mass flow air sensor...

see what it happens...i`ll give news then!

once again thank you all