Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Blocked Washer Nozzle

paulmel

Hi all,

The windscreen washer nozzle on the drivers side has become partially blocked. Tried poking a pin down it but it didn't do any good.

Think I need to take the nozzle off to clean it.

Firstly, how do I remove the sound proof insulation from the underside of the bonnet? Do the big plastic discs holding it on just pull out ? (don't want to break them if they actually screw or twist out)

Secondly, how do I remove the clip that holds the nozzle in place? Will it be obvious when said soundproofing is removed?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Hi Paulmel,

I had the same issue a few months ago on the passenger side of my 2003 Rav. One of the two nozzles kept blocking up so I removed the bonnet insulation and the nozzle and cleaned with fine wire. The black plastic clips were quite brittle but you can buy a pack of 20 spares from HK for less than £3 delivered! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300855902513;jsessionid=87AC73E71C4AC981DB32C6A99F18BB6A?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D300855902513%26_rdc%3D1

They just pull out but a plastic claw hammer shape item would be ideal I think. I just used a screwdriver but they really need to be pulled straight out.

Once the insulation is off just pull off the fluid tube and the jet just unclips. (squeeze both sides and it pops out the top)

I decided to flush out the washer reservoir just in case there were bits in it and to save doing it all again after putting it all back together. I ran it out with the nozzle off then filled with clean fresh water and ran that through. Then refilled with washer fluid and reconnected everything. All been perfect since.

Don't panic if you break a couple of trim clips just replace the ones you feel hold it on best until the spares arrive.

Hope that helps, Lee

Hi again,

Removed drivers side nozzle thinking (hoping ! ) it was blocked but it was clear.

So now I'm presuming the pipe has a partial block in it somewhere. Think the drivers/passengers nozzle's are fed from separate pipes which would explain why the passengers side is still working fine.

Due to lack of daylight yesterday didn't get much time to investigate further but the pipes look like they will be hard to get to and not easy to follow around the engine bay.

Any suggestions as what I could do next ?

I do have the extended warranty on my Rav but not sure if this sort of work would be covered if I can't sort it myself.

Thanks.

Most pins are too thick for most washer jets - try puling a hair from a wire brush - much finer and flexible enough to enter the jet and bend inside. Ideallty you need to use a pair of pliers to remove the bristle and hold the wire during probing.

Most pins are too thick for most washer jets - try puling a hair from a wire brush - much finer and flexible enough to enter the jet and bend inside. Ideallty you need to use a pair of pliers to remove the bristle and hold the wire during probing.

Not sure if you are all aware as I was not , but you can buy a proper tool for unblocking and aligning washer nozzles, item number 181043274269 on eBay. Don't know how to put link to it sorry.

Not sure if the blockage is in the actual pipes sorry. Mine was only blocked on one side of the twin jet. I also admit a great tool i also used was a hypo needle which I had left over from injecting my python antibiotics a while back. That allowed me to blast cleaning fluid backwards through the nozzle!!

Does water come out of the pipe without the nozzle attached?

Not sure if the blockage is in the actual pipes sorry. Mine was only blocked on one side of the twin jet. I also admit a great tool i also used was a hypo needle which I had left over from injecting my python antibiotics a while back. That allowed me to blast cleaning fluid backwards through the nozzle!!

yes should do mate.

Used a strand of electrical cable (very fine gauge)with the nozzle off, pulled it back and forth, a bit like dental floss, so I know the nozzle itself is clear.

With the pipe hanging down I operated the washer and water came out so I know it is not totally blocked but without having both nozzle's off at the same time, am unsure if the flow from both pipes is equal.

It was, maybe I suspect, not flowing as fast as I thought it should be, but what is obvious is the poor flow when reconnected ???

Used a strand of electrical cable (very fine gauge)with the nozzle off, pulled it back and forth, a bit like dental floss, so I know the nozzle itself is clear.

With the pipe hanging down I operated the washer and water came out so I know it is not totally blocked but without having both nozzle's off at the same time, am unsure if the flow from both pipes is equal.

It was, maybe I suspect, not flowing as fast as I thought it should be, but what is obvious is the poor flow when reconnected ???

Sounds like a prostate issue to me................

:)

Maybe Paulmel will check his and let us know?

DOH!

Hi Paul,

if you disconnect the nozzle that is causing the problem so that the feed pipe is free at the end, operate the washer and put your finger over the other nozzle you should get a greater flow through the free end. It might just flush out any bits causing a problem. HTH

Injecting your python's meds seems like a rather extreme way to get high. I'm sure the snake must get a bit p155ed.............................