Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Smoking T180 Help

lee"s rav

hi im new to this forum so hello.just wondering if anyone can help i own a rav4 t180 had for about 6 months and loveing it till a few weeks ago the problem is its startiing to smoke quit bad when its cold its ok and when its hot its ok but when its warming up its terrible for about 5 minutes its performing ok and useing no oil and water and theres no tuning kits on it i really need get it sorted cause the wifes giving me grief dont really want to get rid

hi im new to this forum so hello.just wondering if anyone can help i own a rav4 t180 had for about 6 months and loveing it till a few weeks ago the problem is its startiing to smoke quit bad when its cold its ok and when its hot its ok but when its warming up its terrible for about 5 minutes its performing ok and useing no oil and water and theres no tuning kits on it i really need get it sorted cause the wifes giving me grief dont really want to get rid

Could you expand on....... mileage, service history if up to date, and welcome t'club.

Big Kev

right its done nearly 72k got service history the garage i got it from suppossed to have done oil change that was at 69k but looking at it the oil looks thick. ive booked into my brother inlaws garage for an oil/filter and fuel filter change this week to see if it helps.ive also cleaned the egr valve out that was completly chocked up this is our first toyota convinced the wife to sell her scenic....

right its done nearly 72k got service history the garage i got it from suppossed to have done oil change that was at 69k but looking at it the oil looks thick. ive booked into my brother inlaws garage for an oil/filter and fuel filter change this week to see if it helps.ive also cleaned the egr valve out that was completly chocked up this is our first toyota convinced the wife to sell her scenic....

The EGR being choked up is NOT a good sign......are you aware of the 2AD engine probs and extended warranty....? Fuel filter change is good step, but you may have a wee problem lurking. Go to pinned section above and read Charlie Farlie's long post re the engine.

colour of smoke?

could it be doing a regen?

colour of the smoke is blue/grey if it regen itself its doing alot popped out in it today it smoked then left for 10 min"s got back in it to go home and it done it again but not as bad it seems to of got worse after cleaning the egr valve

Blue smoke is usually a sign of engine oil being burnt. White is more than likely a re-gen... Make sure a C2 spec oil is used like Mobil 1 ESP or Motul 8100 Eco-Clean 0W30 which is the preferred grade...

I'm amazed - MrM didn't suggest BG244 or Archoil AR6400! ;)

colour of the smoke is blue/grey if it regen itself its doing alot popped out in it today it smoked then left for 10 min"s got back in it to go home and it done it again but not as bad it seems to of got worse after cleaning the egr valve

Are you in the main only doing short journeys, in that engine hardly ever gets to operating temp.? With respect to family mehanic, a visit to Mr.T seems called for, but go aead with fuel filter at least.

Big Kev

They do smoke a bit when first started - especially in winter.

Follow guidlines above as well!

I've often heard folk speaking of this re gen that the car does and the smoke that goes with it.. But I never ever saw this smoke ! What I have detected on a few occasions was a smell like sulpher ...... Just wondering if the OP is getting this ?

If its using no oil or water then the often found problems are not in play...

I've often heard folk speaking of this re gen that the car does and the smoke that goes with it.. But I never ever saw this smoke ! What I have detected on a few occasions was a smell like sulpher ...... Just wondering if the OP is getting this ?

If its using no oil or water then the often found problems are not in play...

Hopefully that is the case, Charlie, and he finds fuel filter full of crud and/or H2watter......

Regen on a D-CAT occurs when the engine is right up to temperature and there is an imbalance in pressure between the inlet and the outlet of the DPNR filter (particulate filter). You can see the unit for measuring the pressure on the bulkhead in front of the drivers seat with rubber pipes going to them.

During hard acceleration, neat fuel is fed into the exhaust via the 5th injector which super heats the DNPR and creates a little blast furnace to burn out the carbon. This process is made difficult for the system if supermarket fuel is used and especially if the engine uses some oil as it is trying to shift carbon and not soft soot. So much so that on some early vehicles the DPNR and cat ended up getting binned.

I have not witnessed this regen phase as I don't expect to collect much soot in mine. This is why I am quietly confident that Toyota have the 150 engine just right. On all 3 of the ones I have owned, none have changed the oil colour to any darker then golden syrup. It suggests that if carbon isn't getting to the oil then oil isn't getting into the exhaust and certainly they use no noticeable oil (you could argue it has moved from the full mark a bit). Now I also have to say that Toyota have just started using 0W/30 fully synthetic oil where the "optimal drive" logo appears and for these vehicles, using a small amount of oil in the first 5000 miles or so is very acceptable. So if the new engine is using very small amount of oil and the owner is using decent fuel these D-CAT problems should be a thing of the past.

I have never seen this regen phase on mine and wouldn't expect it to but on the older ones, I am reliably informed that it easier to see at night in the mirror if there are car headlights behind (probably a performance car as nothing else will keep up with a T180 at full bore!).

when its first started theres nothing. its when the temp gauge is at nearly half way thats when it starts but after it stops its seems smoother

Lol... I never use Snake oil as you know! :doctor::blow:

Don't you bother with these Lanarkshire folk, mate.....just you keep adding WD40 to yer diesel.....helps it fill the tank quicker....

Don't you bother with these Lanarkshire folk, mate.....just you keep adding WD40 to yer diesel.....helps it fill the tank quicker....

I loves the WD40 I does! :eat::driving:

I had the regen occurring on mine maybe 5,000 miles ago (so at 15,000 miles maybe?) and it was quite worrying at the time as had no idea it has happening .... Just saw white smoke engulf the VW golf behind me as I was accelerating up a slip road to join the Edinburgh by-pass :)

Not done it since.

Pity we can,t adjust the colour. We could get three of us in formation - red white and blue.

I had the regen occurring on mine maybe 5,000 miles ago (so at 15,000 miles maybe?) and it was quite worrying at the time as had no idea it has happening .... Just saw white smoke engulf the VW golf behind me as I was accelerating up a slip road to join the Edinburgh by-pass :)

Not done it since.

I have just put my RAV4 into the garage to find out why the rear of the car was spewing out white smoke. It was up to temperature and it just started, it was difficult to see anything behind me. It's an 06, 85,800 miles, regularly serviced, all by Toyota.

Could it be the re gen, although I have no idea what it is. If someone could please explain it to me, I would be very grateful. I have just had a phone call telling me they can find nothing wrong with the car, and after asking them to take it on a good run, the smoking did not happen again. I have been told to run the car until it gets worse. Any info would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Judith

Forgot to mention, this happened after putting Morissons diesel in. NEVER AGAIN!!!! My local Shell garage was closed.

Cant see one tank of diesel making much difference unless its contaminated with something ?

Perhaps it was going through the re gen ?

I'd never heard of this re gen, and I've only had the car since November 2012. I just know it worried the heck out of me!

• 4 weeks later...

been to toyota today for the 500 mile oil check and they said its a new engine which will be done under warranty.If it wasn"t for this forum and the people on here i would never have known so THANK YOU every one. might get me one of the lindop tuning kits now to see what it go"s like