Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2.2 Diesel Avensis Est 55Reg ?

veccyold 1

Hello im new to toyota , so new ive just put a down payment on a 2.2 t3 x est 2.2 55 reg its done 112,500 k FSH very gd condition ,but since reading more about them, 2.2diesels i think ive done a wrong thing . are these a real problem should ive gone for the petrol version ,as ive only left a deposit of £200 . Hope somebody sees this before monday thats when i pick the car up?? thanks very much molly.

Are the 2.2 diesels a problem? Only Toyota know the exact figures but imo probably only a couple in a hundred if that develop the known head gasket issue.

That car is outwith Toyota's parameters (7 years,180000km) for foc remedial action if it does develop it though. Possibly that car may already have had it.

Is the garage giving you any kind of warranty with the car?

Should you have gone for the petrol? Well, what sort of mileage are you expecting to do?

& the 1.8VVTI engine around that age had a problem with oil use (should have been dealt with foc under a Toyota remedial programme though). Afaik the 2.0 was OK but a bit thirstier.

Hi Heidfirst thanks for reply , the garage isnt giving a warranty ,well dont think so didnt say anything about one. I do about 10k miles a yr .do i cut my loses and run ? its such a nice car ,.

On 10k mile a year I would go petrol, in fact I just have done.

Dare I ask how much you are paying for it?

The problem with high mileage diesels from all manufacturers are that when they do need work it tends to be dearer than on a petrol & modern turbo diesels from all manufacturers are very complicated engines (they have to be to pass the latest Euro emissions tests) so there is more to go wrong.

Its up for £3998 got it for £3750 cash no trade in.

theres a petrol one for 2995 130k at another garage roys motor group toyota dealers.may cut my loses a go for that .

I wouldn`t take the risk, look around for a 2.0d, ask for your deposit back

Hi dervdave ive spoken to last owners they owned it the last 4yrs no problems at all with it serviced it on time.But i no what yer saying ,i suppose if the headgasket do goes i could always fit the 2.0 lump in as the car is in fantastic condition i know its the heart of the car or fit padals to it and get fit HaHa.thanks

Hi dervdave ive spoken to last owners they owned it the last 4yrs no problems at all with it serviced it on time.But i no what yer saying ,i suppose if the headgasket do goes i could always fit the 2.0 lump in as the car is in fantastic condition i know its the heart of the car or fit padals to it and get fit HaHa.thanks

You asked for opinions and gave mine, you pays ya money and takes your chance, I wouldn`t but best of luck to you my friend :flowers:

hi dervdave thanks for yer opinion im realy undercided its the old head &heart thing i know i should run but ere .grrr .what if i have the H/gasket replaced before it goes like a cambelt ???/ta

hi dervdave thanks for yer opinion im realy undercided its the old head &heart thing i know i should run but ere .grrr .what if i have the H/gasket replaced before it goes like a cambelt ???/ta

Oh theres rather more to this engines problems than you apparently know matey have a look at this thread below then look at the others in the Rav4 section :yes:

http://www.toyotaown...howtopic=132178

if you do decide to cut your losses with your anticipated mileage I really would consider going petrol.

The car will probably be cheaper to buy initially.

Yes, you'll pay more for your fuel & probably higher road tax but as I said you are less likely to need serious maintenance & if you do it's likely to cost less